Which cobra should I buy?

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Looking to buy a termi. I have 2 options, 2003 black coupe anniversary edition with 24k miles for 21k~ stock except for exhaust looks clean.

Orrrrrr...

2003 dsg coupe with 76k miles with a new motor installed in 2-11
With 17k on the new motor. Bone stock vehicle all records of maintaince
And motor replacement. Looks very clean. Selling for $18500

I love the anniversary addition looks. Very appealing to me. The dsg looks nice but bores me a lil. But I love the idea of having a newer motor with the updated heads. More than likely I will not go above having a ported blower in. The distant future. Want to have a high 500 hp car maybe 600. Is the new motor vehicle that is cheaper but has more miles a better choice than the 23k anniversary edition that's more expensive?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Any links to the two cars? I'd first do a carfax or autocheck if you haven't already. Are they local? Would be nice to drive them both. I'm not a huge fan of black (pita to keep clean) but of the two that would be the one I would lean towards.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I'll be driving them and inspecting eah of them on my lifts at work. One lives far away so I don't want him driving down if you guys think the other is a great buy

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
I love the DSG and I would pick that over these two, especially if it has a rebuilt motor.

The way the seller says "close to 500hp" off of exhaust seems :bs:...but it looks like the upper pulley has been swapped because the pulley cover is off but I could be wrong. I can't stand the red seats. JMO.

I'm pretty picky. I would keep looking. I was in this same situation a while back and I kept looking and bam......two weeks later my favorite color, silver cobra w/ 30k miles goes for sale in chicago and I got it.

Good luck to ya man.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't see any info listed on the DSG. I really like the color. If there's papers on the new motor and if it's a ford reman than I wouldn't be hesitate. I'm not a fan of red interior either. All depends on what you want. I bought the first cobra I seen and drove! But it's the color I wanted along with low miles and great price.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Having owned an '03 Dark Shadow Cobra myself, IMO it is an awesome color. Nice metallic touch and it's easy to keep clean. Black is a tough color, but it does look great when clean and detailed. In the end it boils down to how much you like either car.

Woody6799

Established Member
Just bc they are stock now doesnt mean they always have been... look them both over with a fine tooth comb, and then pass on them until you find the one that punches you in the gut...

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I think its worth the extra money to have 1/3 the miles AND the anniversary options. I think the Black is a better investment. I personally like the DSG color better cause swirl marks drive me insane. This all comes down to your preference. Neither one screams no. I personally like the Red seats. Its one of the only ways to get full leather in a cobra too.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
But I love the idea of having a newer motor with the updated heads.

The Anniversary edition will most likely at least have the '04 heads and those would suffice just about everyone (those heads started showing up in June of 2003). You can't go wrong with them. Plenty of info here:

Castings

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I seem to be talking to people who think its ridiculous that I request that they come to my shop so I can Look at all the cobras private parts. Just out of curiosity, would you guys be hesitant to take it to a serious buyers shop? Or do you only have people come to you?

cobra-k

Established Member
That sounds a bit sketchy too me man. I mean if you asked someone and they made a big deal out of it to come to you're shop, they are definitely hiding something. I'd definitely pass on it. Not worth the surprise.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Some may think cause you want the car at the shop you will want to pick it apart which isnt true. Honestly if they wont let you look them over like that I'd pass on both these cars are ten years old now and when spending that kind of money the seller should see why you want to look it over good luck be paitent the right one will come and post up pics of what you get.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I must admit I have a nervous trigger finger. I have to get rid of my lease in dec. I need to have a cobra by then. I know it's a while from now but finding quality cobras in SoCal is haaaaaarrrddd!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I must admit I have a nervous trigger finger. I have to get rid of my lease in dec. I need to have a cobra by then. I know it's a while from now but finding quality cobras in SoCal is haaaaaarrrddd!

So look elsewhere...a little drive or a few hundred bucks for a one-way plane ticket is worth it to get a quality vehicle that suits your tastes.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I don't think asking to inspect on a lift is unreasonable.
If I had to choose between the two I'd take the Anniversary with lower miles but I'm not a fan of owning black. I like it if it's not mine but it is just too hard to keep clean and swirl mark free with out constant attention. It can be done but takes dedication!

I would keep an eye on this forum's sale board. I flew into Cleveland and drove mine back to St Augustine and would do it again to find the right color, mile combo vehicle.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
So look elsewhere...a little drive or a few hundred bucks for a one-way plane ticket is worth it to get a quality vehicle that suits your tastes.

This. I think you should pass on both of these. I took a year finding the right car for me and when I did it was about 5hrs away. Took a 1 hour flight, checked it over, did the paperwork and drove it home. I know it's not that easy out west, but you should still be willing to travel for the right car if you have decided you really want a Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread