Which CAI would be better

Pierce Cadreau

Established Member
I currently have a K&N Series 63 Aircharger High Performance intake. Have some issues with the tube, with some wear and tear and was wondering if I should go with a JLT CAI instead of buying a new tube for the k&n.

noldevin

Established Member
Either go back to stock, or if you must have a CAI then get an Airaid. Get it used though, in my opinion the tiny gains from a CAI aren't worth new prices.

Pierce Cadreau

Established Member
One of the rubber hoses on the tube broke off and I haven't been able to find something to fill in the hole where the tube was so I added epoxy puddy to cover it up and then brather filiters to catch the oil going into unwanted places. I'm acctually getting a new tube sent out for free. But was just wondering if there would be much of a differenco between what I have and a JLT.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've read that the tune vs just CAI is what gives the gains in HP for the newer 5.0's. Add a CAI to the tune and it gets a few more. If it's not leaking or about to just tear apart, keep it. Like mentioned, you can look for a used JLT or such. I've never been a K&N CAI fan.

nate714

Established Member
yeah that K&N intake runs pricey for what it is, is kind of an eye sore, and their advertised HP gains are very unrealistic. That said, Airaid is decent, I was happy just getting rid of the stock sound-tube and cleaning up the engine bay, especially getting rid of that weird resonator chamber in the stock box. The airaid tube is solid and well built, you won't easily puncture or tear any of it like K&N or stock.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Pierce Cadreau,

Airaid makes the 'modular intake tube' (MIT) that replaces the stock intake tube and connects to the stock airbox. You may be able to connect the K&N to the MIT and it would work well and look pretty good, imo. The MIT retails for about $135 so it is not cheap.

If you want to keep the K&N tube then you may want to check out plumbing fittings at your local hardware shop or in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot or Lowes to find a fitting that could fill the hole. Something to think about.

/edit ***
Well, nevermind, lol. I just read your post where you are waiting for a new (free) tube to arrive. You don't need to spend any moolah on a new tube!
/end of edit ***

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
If you want a to see gains with a CAI pony up the money for the CJ manifold. The stock intake tube works fine as stated above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread