Which Boost Controller?

DonkeyBong

Established Member
I was looking to go with a AMS 1000 but they look infinitely more complicated to set up than I have experience with.

Can anyone tell me what they used and how it is for set up.

Also, what did you have to change from your 03/04 Cobra drive accessories when going turbo?

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I was going to go with an ams1000 after my eboost2 got stolen from my car, but after lots of research, realized its not worth it unless its a total drag race setup. I run the turbosmart eboost2 and it works great. Almost all the same stuff the ams can do Also

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I didn't need something overly complicated, and boost by gear wasnt important with my auto. I went with the AEM Truboost controller, works great, easy install, and much cheaper than eboost or ams.

MTBSully

Established Member
Random question here, if you use an electronic boost controller it doesn't really matter what wastegate spring you use correct?

Ex. You run a 6lb wastegate spring and the lowest boost you can run is 6lbs but all above that is up to the boost controller correct?

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Random question here, if you use an electronic boost controller it doesn't really matter what wastegate spring you use correct?

Ex. You run a 6lb wastegate spring and the lowest boost you can run is 6lbs but all above that is up to the boost controller correct?

In theory. If the wastegate spring isnt enough to keep the valve closed under higher exhaust pressures then it could crack open. It's good to have a lower spring though because if your controller fails, you wont over boost into oblivion. I run a 10# spring in mine with the controller set at 18, if the controller is turned off it opens around 11psi.

itSSlow98

Established Member

Rule of thumb is with a controller you can run about double the boost of the spring your using. So with a 6lb wastegate spring your good to around 12 with a controller. Its not an exact figure but you wouldnt be able to run 25psi.

OP, I run the eBoost Street controller. It uses the exact same solenoid as the eboost 2 and has almost all the same features except for the boost by gear which I dont need. I put mine in my glove box and for 249 its the best deal out there IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread