Where to start.....

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
First off, hey everyone! Just recently joined the forums and looking for a bit of insight as far as mods go. First question( the first of many) I have a 97 cobra and was just wondering... where do I start? GTPs I can handle... my cobra knowledge is lacking:thumbsup:

Much appreciated!

mystical

Established Member
Gears (4.56), offroad midpipe and mufflers and a short-throw shifter (MGW) should be your first mods.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
4.56 sure do seem to be the new 4.30's, I think thats what I am going with, I figure even with 4.30's if I ever supercharge the car I will have to change the gears anyway lol.

along with gears i suggest some good meats for the rear so you can actually hook

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Subframe connectors. Oil separator. Short throw shifter with adjustable stops so you don't bend your T45 shift forks right away.

skate47e

Established Member
i would go 410s. Theyre just perfect. You'll get better mileage than the 456's Cold air intake, exhaust, a good tune, chip?? A bunch of things.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
definately short throw shifter, lowering springs and gears. these will help your fun to drive factor, looks and seat of the pants feel of your car. i've never regretted doing these mods.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The more I think about it, I'd do the shifter before anything else. Bent shift forks mean a tranny rebuild or a T56 conversion either of which are really expensive. I am not sure if mine were bent when I got my car or I bent them within days of getting my car, but the first thing I had to do was a T56 conver$ion.

A short shifter with adjustable stops is cheap insurance...

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Welcome to the forums! Post up some pics.

As far as mods, I've said it before and I'll say it again... It don't matter where you start because one thing ALWAYS leads to another, and you'll have tons of mods within a few months.

I'd get a short throw shifter first to protect the tranny, then gears, which will lead to drag radials (while your at it, good time to get wheels haha). After that's all said and done, you'll probably want it to sound as good as it runs, so you'll get an O/R H or X pipe, followed by some mufflers or a cat back, then you'll probably get a cold air kit, and somewhere in there you'll lower it. Then probably subframe connectors... the list goes on and on... If I had to narrow it down though, I'd start with a shifter, gears, and sticky tires.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
i agree with the shifter. bent shift forks here also. cost me $400 to fix and i pulled the tranny out and put it back in myself. i would also do cai, o/r x-pipe, good catback, and gears for first mods.

F8L BYT

Established Member
The more I think about it, I'd do the shifter before anything else. Bent shift forks mean a tranny rebuild or a T56 conversion either of which are really expensive. I am not sure if mine were bent when I got my car or I bent them within days of getting my car, but the first thing I had to do was a T56 conver$ion.

A short shifter with adjustable stops is cheap insurance...

Agreed!!! When I first bought my car I drove it from denver colorado to Indianpolis and immediately put my Pro5.0 shifter in haha

Users who are viewing this thread