Where to buy higher end watches?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The snobassery surrounding watches is the ugliest part of it. Good forbid you don't like Rolex or have no interest in using them as investments.

For me it is not snobbishness. If I am going to drop >1k for a watch I want my money out of it. The entry price of rolex is high but they are not expensive since you will get your money out. A rolex submariner is actually far cheaper than a Tag. Just my opinion but I would take a Seiko dive watch over a Tag.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I would go to an authorized dealer. Except for certain brands they will give you 10-20% off list. The trouble with grey market watches is that your watch will sometimes come without the original box and papers(if that's important to you) and if something goes wrong with it an authorized dealer won't touch it and you have to go elsewhere. Personally, when I had fancy watches, an Omega and a Breitling, it was comforting knowing the repairperson was authorized by the manufacturer.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
For me it is not snobbishness. If I am going to drop >1k for a watch I want my money out of it. The entry price of rolex is high but they are not expensive since you will get your money out. A rolex submariner is actually far cheaper than a Tag. Just my opinion but I would take a Seiko dive watch over a Tag.

Are you meaning the Rolex Submariner is cheaper quality wise? I could buy several tags for the price of a Submariner....

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you meaning the Rolex Submariner is cheaper quality wise? I could buy several tags for the price of a Submariner....

No. What I am saying is that a Tag is actually more expensive. Here is why:

1. Buy submariner for 10k. Wear it for 5 years. Sell it for 9.5k. Cost = 500
or
2. Buy Tag for 2.5k. Wear it for 5 years. Sell it for 1k. Cost = 1500

The rolex is actually cheaper than the tag

blk02edge

Established Member
The snobassery surrounding watches is the ugliest part of it. Good forbid you don't like Rolex or have no interest in using them as investments.
It ok, it's just a meme, it can't hurt you.

In all seriousness, I love many Tag models and absolutely would buy 2nd hand. The Autavia line especially.

As for Rolex, the crazy prices IMO are a bubble, they weren't like that a few years ago when Panerai was the frenzied watch to own, now you can buy them discounted. If you can buy a Rolex new from an AD, do it, just don't hold it long term with 100% confidence that it's market may crash. Rolex is a great watch, but resale aside they are not good value when it comes to quality over many other brands.

In the end, buy what ya like and who care's what other's opinions are because 99.999999% of people dont GAF what watch you wear

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
They’ve got a bit of bad wrap amongst the watch aficionados because of they’re quartz movements, they’re diluting of the brand and heritage. I say buy what you like but it’s worthwhile to look around the used markets for one since their MSRP’s tend to be overpriced in my opinion.

View attachment 1705148

Do it!!
Just picked this up, Seamaster 300m. Love this watch and the exhibition case back.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That is exactly the one i want!!!!

I like the black or the blue, stainless

I absouletly love the new 007 seamaster but dayum

VegasMichael

Established Member
No. What I am saying is that a Tag is actually more expensive. Here is why:

1. Buy submariner for 10k. Wear it for 5 years. Sell it for 9.5k. Cost = 500
or
2. Buy Tag for 2.5k. Wear it for 5 years. Sell it for 1k. Cost = 1500

The rolex is actually cheaper than the tag
Or buy a second hand Rolex, wear if for a couple years and sell it for what you paid for it. Free watch.

Blown 89

Established Member
As for Rolex, the crazy prices IMO are a bubble, they weren't like that a few years ago when Panerai was the frenzied watch to own, now you can buy them discounted. If you can buy a Rolex new from an AD, do it, just don't hold it long term with 100% confidence that it's market may crash. Rolex is a great watch, but resale aside they are not good value when it comes to quality over many other brands.

In the end, buy what ya like and who care's what other's opinions are because 99.999999% of people dont GAF what watch you wear
The Rolex bubble is ridiculous. I chatted up a guy this weekend that had no idea he was wearing a $37,000 Rolex. He said he paid $12k for it lol.

Rolex doesn't do it for me and the only model I liked just got discontinued. A lot of watches have been hit by inflation right now, it's nuts.

Actually looking at Nordstrom RACK site... specifically this blacked-out Rado automatic watch.
Wondering if this is worth it...

Rado | Men's Automatic Bracelet Watch, 45mm | Nordstrom Rack
Nordstrom's price is about a grand too high. It doesn't look to be in stock anywhere else though.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have a nice Tag Aquaracer Calibre S that I traded some Fikse wheels for, the wheels were for C5/C4 fitment and in 17", so not highly desirable...guy that traded me put them on his C4 grandsport... Anyways I want my next watch to be an Omega Seamaster and or Speedmaster, kinda leaning towards the latter.

blk02edge

Established Member
I have a nice Tag Aquaracer Calibre S that I traded some Fikse wheels for, the wheels were for C5/C4 fitment and in 17", so not highly desirable...guy that traded me put them on his C4 grandsport... Anyways I want my next watch to be an Omega Seamaster and or Speedmaster, kinda leaning towards the latter.
Classic speedy will alwaaays be a classic.

nxhappy

Established Member
The Caribbean/Virgin Islands. Huge savings on tax and in general. I have bought from shops before at st thomas/st marteen. Be patient, take a cruise, and buy some bad ass shit.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Part of the reason Tag has a bad reputation is they are Swiss designed and assembled, but the parts are made in China.

Rolex on the other hand does everything in house.

Also, be careful when buying any watch; pay attention to how the employees handle the watch, wind it, adjust the date, etc. if they fumble their way through it the watches will likely need to be repaired not long after being purchased.

As for comparing quartz to mechanical... the complexity of a mechanical watch is what makes it both inaccurate, and valuable.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Part of the reason Tag has a bad reputation is the they are Swiss designed and assembled, but the parts are made in China.
It is my understanding that they source less than 50% of their parts from Seiko and the majority are swiss to keep their swiss made status. They were public about this a few years back after the swatch group pulled their parts to prioritize swatch group brands.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Tag's bad rap is because of it's god awful designs in the 90's and early 2000's. Plenty of Sellita powered brands with good reputations. Most don't even know if they have an ETA or Sellita movement in their watch

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought both of these through an AD. I got 25% off on each watch.
V-330791500_0_800.jpg

V-290345305_0_800.jpg

From what I understand, watches sold online don't always come with the manufacturers warranty. They may have one, but it's through a third party. If I'm dropping a few grand on a watch, I'd prefer service through the manufacturer.

I am not a watch aficionado, so I could be wrong.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I am looking really hard at a sub hulk. The prices are crazy but I think this watch is special enough that it will hold its value. What say the rolex nerds?

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I bought a stainless and gold submariner in 1992, for $5,000 , I had it refurbushed last year and it looks almost as good as the day I bought it. I don't know todays cash value but it means alot to me. But in 1969 I was looking at a Roles Chronograph in stainless and it was $275.00 I bought a Browning 12 ga Superposed in Diana grade instead for $600 and I should have bought the watch. I also bought a Chronosport Diver watch in 1977 that I still have and it runs perfectly, because it has a quartz movement. Now I just wear a seiko automatic for everyday. But if I was going to get another Rolex it would be a Yachtnaster just because I like the way it looks. If you look back at all the cheap watches you have owned over you life you may have already paid more than a really nice watch would have cost you and you would still own something that make you feel good every time you glanced at your wrist.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread