Where do these vacuum hoses go?

USAFMACH1

Established Member
I was wondering if anybody knew where these hoses go. One is missing from the intake, and I don't know where it goes to from there, and there is one disconnected from the lower left of the vacuum tree. Car came that way. Please help me out.

vacuum2.jpg

vacuum1.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
IIRC, the port on the vacuum tree that has the hose on it is capped from the factory. Whoever had the car before you was probably using that for a vacuum source for a guage, fmu, or the like.

The nipple on the intake is a coolant crossover. If you look on the coolant tube that runs to and from the heater core, you'll see a similar sized nipple on it that is also plugged to keep the coolant in. A lot of guys disconnected this hose thinking thye would gain HP.....total BS.

USAFMACH1

Established Member
Thanks Buddha93! Is it normal for the car idle to surge and die if I plugged it with my finger? Could I just put a breather valve on this nipple?

buddha93

Established Member
What's happening is your reducing the amount of air into the mix at idle. Basically what you have here is a vacuum leak. You need to plug it and retune the car at idle.

There used to be a better, more detailed version out there for setting the idle, but this link will get you in the right direction:

Pms - how to set idle

Before you start anywhere, get the TPS dialed in with the key on, engine off. Then you can get the car up to temp and start messing with everything else. Generally I just jack the idle up pretty high if it's hunting and surging and gradually back it down until it finds a happy point.......hopefully 900 rpm or less.

red95gts

Established Member
Top pic - that line should be capped at the tree.

Bottom pic - that is the vac line for the carbon canister.

USAFMACH1

Established Member
So, its not the coolant crossover? Yeah with all my smog equipment gone, the canister is missing too. So I should just cap the nipple on the intake then? I'm confused.

buddha93

Established Member
Top pic - that line should be capped at the tree.

Bottom pic - that is the vac line for the carbon canister.

Yep, thanks for correcting me on the carbon canister port..........was thinking of the 5.0 uppers.

buddha93

Established Member
So, its not the coolant crossover? Yeah with all my smog equipment gone, the canister is missing too. So I should just cap the nipple on the intake then? I'm confused.

The coolant crossovers where on the regular 5.0 manifolds.........my bad for pointing you in the wrong direction. It was a useless feature anyway.

Unless you plan on putting the canistor back on, make sure you cap that port too. It's no wonder it needs a tune as those two areas are letting in all kinds of unmetered air.

USAFMACH1

Established Member
Plugged the IIRC in the vacuum tree, and the one on the intake. Adjusted the throttle body screw and its idling around 850. Thanks guys. Now just got to figure out the ticking noise on the drivers side engine. You can hear it from the inside too. Header gasket perhaps?

buddha93

Established Member
Plugged the IIRC in the vacuum tree, and the one on the intake. Adjusted the throttle body screw and its idling around 850. Thanks guys. Now just got to figure out the ticking noise on the drivers side engine. You can hear it from the inside too. Header gasket perhaps?

Cool, glad you got it to idle good for you. Sometimes that can be a pain.

As far as the ticking, without hearing it could be a few things, one of them definitely being an leak. Check the header gasket and the ball joint where the header meets the rest of the exhaust.

WillyB93

Established Member
I would say header gasket, my old red car the bolt came loose and blew the bottom of the metal gasket out. It made it have a loud ticking noise from it. The header gaskets are pretty easy to change, make sure you heat them up and re tighten the bolts, if not you may have the same problem in a short time frame.

Tbrake1978

Established Member
I was wondering if anybody knew where these hoses go. One is missing from the intake, and I don't know where it goes to from there, and there is one disconnected from the lower left of the vacuum tree. Car came that way. Please help me out.

View attachment 143070
View attachment 143071
So where does the hose go that is on the top left of the tree? Mine is capped off

Attachments

• Vacuum Tree.jpg
    Vacuum Tree.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread