Where are the VMP Gen 3 Cars/Numbers?

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
I'm considering a blower upgrade and debating between a 2.9 whipple, finding a used gen 2 VMP TVS, and the new gen 3 VMP TVS.

There are Dyno numbers all over the place on here, on VMPs site, YouTube, etc for the Gen 2. I've only found 1 or 2 Cobras with the new gen3 however.

Where are all the gen 3 Tvs cars and Dyno numbers? I would have thought they would be everywhere by now.

Also, I've always had Whipples.......does anyone know if the TVS blowers sit lower than the Whipples, (more hood clearance)?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
there's so many factors involved with looking for dyno numbers. boost, fuel, tuning, engine mods. you're finding information all over the place because everyone has different things done. you have to compare apples to apples.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. What I'm looking for is people who have the gen3 2.65L on the 03-04 cobra. I've only found 1 car that has it. Surprising.....

GodStang

Established Member
I'm considering a blower upgrade and debating between a 2.9 whipple, finding a used gen 2 VMP TVS, and the new gen 3 VMP TVS.

There are Dyno numbers all over the place on here, on VMPs site, YouTube, etc for the Gen 2. I've only found 1 or 2 Cobras with the new gen3 however.

Where are all the gen 3 Tvs cars and Dyno numbers? I would have thought they would be everywhere by now.

Also, I've always had Whipples.......does anyone know if the TVS blowers sit lower than the Whipples, (more hood clearance)?

Go Twin Screw... Always go Twin Screw. They are more efficient than the Roots blower. A lot of reason you see numbers all over the place is people posting (STD) numbers which aren't corrected. Years ago no one cared about STD numbers only SAE.

Recon

Established Member
There’s a thread on here about a guy with a built Condor in his Shelby with a 2.65L and it’s making around 1200rwhp.

Pick your poison.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There’s a thread on here about a guy with a built Condor in his Shelby with a 2.65L and it’s making around 1200rwhp.

Pick your poison.
Not quite apples to apples if he's looking for an 03/04 Cobra. There's a lot in that engine making 1200hp.

An acquaintance is making low 800's on a stock 04 long block with a Whipple 2.9 and E85. So I don't know that I'd say the VMP smokes the Whipple. They're both very capable blowers. I went Whipple because I wanted a polished blower and I didn't want to have to massage my crossover. Yes, the VMP has the removable inlet, but I can count how many times I've had the inlet off my eaton on one hand and have fingers left over.

Last edited:

hostile500

Established Member
I have heard the VMP gen3s on the 03/04 cobras are a pain. I can’t say the same about the 500 platforms. I’ve had great success with making plenty of power and not have to send the boost or timing to the moon. It’s all a matter of opinion. But I love this little 2650 and it makes more than enough for my application.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

old01cobra

Established Member
Don’t know too much about whipples on the new stuff but damn I’ve seen some nasty VMP and Paxton coyotes... they’re just mean and damn fast too

GodStang

Established Member

Pick your poison.

There are people with KB and Whipples making 1300 and 1400+rwhp on the Shelbys all motor. It's all in the build.

From an engineering stand point The TVS is still a roots blower. It still creates more heat than a twin screw. I have seen a lot of TVS guys showing up with excessive heat issues when trying to run the big boost that the 2.8L and 2.9L Twin Screws are made for.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
There are people with KB and Whipples making 1300 and 1400+rwhp on the Shelbys all motor. It's all in the build.

From an engineering stand point The TVS is still a roots blower. It still creates more heat than a twin screw. I have seen a lot of TVS guys showing up with excessive heat issues when trying to run the big boost that the 2.8L and 2.9L Twin Screws are made for.
To add, most guys making huge power on the Gen 3 are spinning the crap outta these blowers (2.4 upper/15% lower) like the old Gen2 and TVS. The TVS is a much more efficient rotor pack than the M112 or M122, but they are still roots blowers. I dont know what the blower redline is but if a 2.4/15% isnt pegging it, then its damn close in my opinion.

Not sure of the Terminator Gen 3 has the standard pattern or the VMP proprietary pattern. A lot of the GT500 guys that have the Gen 3 and the proprietary TB pattern have had nothing but problems with it. 9 out of 10 guys have their TBs going into fail safe when the car gets hot. There is a work around adapter to mount the standard TB pattern to it by VMP, but its podunk as hell. Recently an adapter has been produced by a private shop to adapt the KB 168 mono to it.

The new Gen3R for the GT500 has gone back to the tried and true OEM bolt pattern.

hostile500

Established Member
To add, most guys making huge power on the Gen 3 are spinning the crap outta these blowers (2.4 upper/15% lower) like the old Gen2 and TVS. The TVS is a much more efficient rotor pack than the M112 or M122, but they are still roots blowers. I dont know what the blower redline is but if a 2.4/15% isnt pegging it, then its damn close in my opinion.

Not sure of the Terminator Gen 3 has the standard pattern or the VMP proprietary pattern. A lot of the GT500 guys that have the Gen 3 and the proprietary TB pattern have had nothing but problems with it. 9 out of 10 guys have their TBs going into fail safe when the car gets hot. There is a work around adapter to mount the standard TB pattern to it by VMP, but its podunk as hell. Recently an adapter has been produced by a private shop to adapt the KB 168 mono to it.

The new Gen3R for the GT500 has gone back to the tried and true OEM bolt pattern.

I make the adapters to adapt the Kenne Bell 168s to the gen3. It works very well and is made from 5/8” aluminum stock and CNC designed. Every bolt hole and countersink are 100% spot on. They are very high quality. You are absolutely correct about The VMP TBs being an issue. I’ve had numerous guys switch over that had them and went to the KB. I wouldn’t say we are making huge power out of my car but we are only spinning this blower to 20.5lbs and still over 1000rwhp.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

James.03Cobra

Established Member
i made 713/652 on E85 and 618/531 on 91
-2.9L gen 2 Whipple 22psi (standard inlet)
-lethal performance 850hp budget fuel kit
-1000cc injecotrs
-K&N intake
-accufab throttle bodt
-bassani o/r xpipe
-borla stingers

The car was Dyno'd in Fresno about 2 years ago at Whipple, it gets crazy hot there in the summer and if i remeber correclty the garage temp was around 101 when it was on the dyno hahah... It is currenlty at Whipple again for some more goodies. I will share more when i have a update ;)

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
i made 713/652 on E85 and 618/531 on 91
-2.9L gen 2 Whipple 22psi (standard inlet)
-lethal performance 850hp budget fuel kit
-1000cc injecotrs
-K&N intake
-accufab throttle bodt
-bassani o/r xpipe
-borla stingers

The car was Dyno'd in Fresno about 2 years ago at Whipple, it gets crazy hot there in the summer and if i remeber correclty the garage temp was around 101 when it was on the dyno hahah... It is currenlty at Whipple again for some more goodies. I will share more when i have a update ;)

You made 22psi on 91? Or did you swap pullies?

Users who are viewing this thread