Where are all the R's ?

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't seen many R's in dealer inventories or on the forum yet. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it simply because they are sold before hitting the lot so they never get put online?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Rs are not being built in the winter, due to the tires cannot be left out in the cold or the compound could be compromised and crack. Chevy experienced this with the corvette ZR1 a few years ago.

I believe R production resumes mid or late March.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Rs are not being built in the winter, due to the tires cannot be left out in the cold or the compound could be compromised and crack. Chevy experienced this with the corvette ZR1 a few years ago.

I believe R production resumes mid or late March.

Chevy doesn't even build ZL1s or 1LEs during winter.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
This tire excuse seems a little bogus. There are many cars with extreme performance summer tires that are built year round.

Chevy found out the hard way when they had to replace hundreds of tires on cars that were built then stored outside in lots for weeks in below freezing temperatures waiting for delivery to dealers and customers. The tires developed small cracks.

Michelin even recommends that the tires on the GT350R be kept at a certain temperature even when in storage, both on and off the car. I read on another forum that this was a factor for a small few number of people deciding to go with the regular GT350, as they don't have a heated garage or a heated place to store tires if they were to take them off for the winter and leave the car on jack stands.

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. But C7Z06's, 13-14 GT500's, and C7Z51's all come equipped with tires that have the cold weather warning. Production of those cars weren't halted during the winter.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
From tire rack description: these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

BlownAway03

Established Member

It's not about what I think. I'm simply stating a fact. That fact is there's another car known to have the same tire, and it's produced year round. Citing articles doesn't change that fact. And with the way folks are drooling over R's I'm sure none would sit around long enough to have any issue with cracking tires, before owners took delivery. This issue was cars sitting around outside in freezing temps. Not a reason to halt production in my opinion.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
From production at flat rock to delivery to the dealer can be anywhere from 2-3 weeks, that these cars would be sitting outside or in transit on a train.

krt22

Established Member
It's not about what I think. I'm simply stating a fact. That fact is there's another car known to have the same tire, and it's produced year round. Citing articles doesn't change that fact. And with the way folks are drooling over R's I'm sure none would sit around long enough to have any issue with cracking tires, before owners took delivery. This issue was cars sitting around outside in freezing temps. Not a reason to halt production in my opinion.
Luckily your opinion doesnt trump the facts that the tires can and will crack and/or the expertise of Ford and Michelin engineers. Just because GM chooses to piss away money, doesnt mean Ford should follow suit

Ford already learned its lesson with the good years on the GT500 track pack cars. The production pause for winter was already known of 7+ months ago, so its not some ploy by Ford to delay things further.

BlownAway03

Established Member
Luckily your opinion doesnt trump the facts that the tires can and will crack and/or the expertise of Ford and Michelin engineers. Just because GM chooses to piss away money, doesnt mean Ford should follow suit

Ford already learned its lesson with the good years on the GT500 track pack cars. The production pause for winter was already known of 7+ months ago, so its not some ploy by Ford to delay things further.

This is how threads go to s**t. Who said anything about a ploy to delay things further?

krt22

Established Member
If you don't believe the tire reason, then what reason are you looking for?
Exactly :dw::dw:

What other reason would Ford forecast a delay in production 7 months in advance ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread