Where are all the '15 Ecoboost parts?!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm seeing all kinds of exhausts, superchargers and other powertrain parts for the 5.0L engine here and I know that's what most of us care about. But where are all the tuners with upgrades to the Ecoboost??

I'm honestly surprised that MMR is the first one out with intakes and intercoolers since they've focused almost exclusively on V8's in the past, but glad to have them at the front of the pack. Good to see Livernois working hard on a tune and showing us how fast the car can be, but where are the piping kits, exhausts, turbo upgrades, etc to these 4 cylinders? Did aftermarket companies not get their Ecoboost cars in advance like the 5.0? I'm really interested in the details and parts from the Full Race mustang since they seem to be the only one with major ecoboost upgrades.

Honestly, I just want to see if someone can make the Ecoboost mustang sound decent. I've seen the vid of the Ford Racing axlebacks and they sound truly terrible. I'd be interested if someone can make the car sound like a tuned Evo or similar, but not if it's more along the lines of an SRT-4 or some of the terribly loud ST exhausts.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I bet CPE will be making one soon. It should be very nice in sound and quality. Cobb will probably be making a nice one too.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Air Raid did a CAI for the eco boost. Not sure about the other parts. I also thik I read on ^g that a company that does WRX parts were building a down pipe

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm seeing all kinds of exhausts, superchargers and other powertrain parts for the 5.0L engine here and I know that's what most of us care about. But where are all the tuners with upgrades to the Ecoboost??

I'm honestly surprised that MMR is the first one out with intakes and intercoolers since they've focused almost exclusively on V8's in the past, but glad to have them at the front of the pack. Good to see Livernois working hard on a tune and showing us how fast the car can be, but where are the piping kits, exhausts, turbo upgrades, etc to these 4 cylinders? Did aftermarket companies not get their Ecoboost cars in advance like the 5.0? I'm really interested in the details and parts from the Full Race mustang since they seem to be the only one with major ecoboost upgrades.

Honestly, I just want to see if someone can make the Ecoboost mustang sound decent. I've seen the vid of the Ford Racing axlebacks and they sound truly terrible. I'd be interested if someone can make the car sound like a tuned Evo or similar, but not if it's more along the lines of an SRT-4 or some of the terribly loud ST exhausts.

Parts are on the way.
Keep in mind we will be chasing the parts that give you safe/durable gains.
Much like the other EcoBoost platforms we will find the limits of the O.E. components.
We don't want to upgrade parts that net little to no gain.
Most of these platforms have very limited fuel systems so to jump right in with big turbos and so on we need to figure out where we stand with the factory component limits.
Keep in mind we are going to target street able upgrades anyone can do to their car and not effect reliability/durability.
While it's fun to talk about big HP #'s we need to get stuff out to the masses.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Keep in mind that this is a completely different power plant with the Ecoboost, first coming out this year. The GT is a reworked Coyote that already had parts available for the 11-14, so all the companies are doing is having to make small adjustments for the new body style. The Ecoboost parts are coming but it might be a couple of months before we see the fun stuff. I just hope the aftermarket stays as interested in this platform as they are right now.

nycarpenter

Established Member
I think depends on sales figures. The GT sales are not a give in but with many more being produced manufactures will roll the dice early on to get their feet in the door. I am not sure how many ecoboost will be modified out of the gate being it's a new platform and drivetrain.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Hopefully the EB mustang fuel system doesn't hold it back like it did for the BMW N54/N55 folks. They waited almost 5 years to get above the 450whp window until the fuel system was figured out.

Nick

snakevnm

Established Member
Optimus performance in Fort Myers Florida has successfully completed a front mount intercooler install on a s550 eco with great results there are a few sensors that need to be tapped for but we will be offering a full bolt on kit if you know any one interested they can search for us www.facebook.com/Optimusperformance and we will be more then happy to set you up with one of our bolt on kits which helps tremendously with throttle response and the dead spot in the 4k rpm range.

nordy racer

Established Member
Hopefully the EB mustang fuel system doesn't hold it back like it did for the BMW N54/N55 folks. They waited almost 5 years to get above the 450whp window until the fuel system was figured out.

Nick

I'm some what heard that this COULD be come a problem also..

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Still waiting on details of the Full Race Ecoboost that was at SEMA. I heard rumors of a turbo swap and 500hp or something like that.

There have been quite a few exhausts released and the only one I've heard that sounds decent is the Ford Racing Touring catback, funny enough.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Still waiting on details of the Full Race Ecoboost that was at SEMA. I heard rumors of a turbo swap and 500hp or something like that.

There have been quite a few exhausts released and the only one I've heard that sounds decent is the Ford Racing Touring catback, funny enough.

Yeah, I've just accepted the Ecoboost is just not a good sounding car. RIP Tuning is my favorite one so far. I am really curious how tuners are going to work with the direct injection, it is my biggest worry with this car.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Yeah, I've just accepted the Ecoboost is just not a good sounding car. RIP Tuning is my favorite one so far. I am really curious how tuners are going to work with the direct injection, it is my biggest worry with this car.

The biggest problem is not the DI, it is the out of control IATs that are the result of a too small turbo, operating out of its efficiency zone and a too small and restrictive intercooler. On my 1/4 mile passes I was seeing IAts as high as 185, and it was pulling the car down into negative timing and killing the power.

Mike

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Water/Meth kit and an upgraded IC would keep the AIT's down pretty easily. IMHO, direct injection WILL be an issue when the fueling maxes out........

-Nick

Voltwings

Established Member
Pre turbo meth is good at artificially extending the turbos efficiency as well, we've had huge success with it on other platforms.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f428/built-bolted-stock-k04-possible-record-162913/

The pre turbo meth gave us gains of ~10-15 whp over where we previously were, though we certainly were running this piss out of that stock turbo. We had a built motor in there so we figured we'd just turn it to 11 and see what it would do, but no turbo would have survived that abuse long (running it hard, not the meth).

Turbo cars like this just struggle at the drag strip when having to wait in the staging lanes. Most Stock ECUs pull timing on an ECT vs IAT grid, and when you're sitting in the staging lanes both are just going up, up, up and the computer will end up pulling 4-5* of timing and richening the AFR quite a bit ... that's easily 30 whp in some cases. I cant tell you how many datalogs i've gotten from people complaining there car was running slow and their coolant temps are up around 210 and IATs around 150+ lol, what do you expect.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Pre turbo meth is good at artificially extending the turbos efficiency as well, we've had huge success with it on other platforms.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f428/built-bolted-stock-k04-possible-record-162913/

The pre turbo meth gave us gains of ~10-15 whp over where we previously were, though we certainly were running this piss out of that stock turbo. We had a built motor in there so we figured we'd just turn it to 11 and see what it would do, but no turbo would have survived that abuse long (running it hard, not the meth).

Turbo cars like this just struggle at the drag strip when having to wait in the staging lanes. Most Stock ECUs pull timing on an ECT vs IAT grid, and when you're sitting in the staging lanes both are just going up, up, up and the computer will end up pulling 4-5* of timing and richening the AFR quite a bit ... that's easily 30 whp in some cases. I cant tell you how many datalogs i've gotten from people complaining there car was running slow and their coolant temps are up around 210 and IATs around 150+ lol, what do you expect.

I am well versed with turbo cars. When this car has IATs in the 180s, you are in negative (yes, I said negative) timing through most of the run. The amount of power you are losing is unreal. This is why Livernois needed a race gas tune to get their car to run hard. I am sure it was also stone cold and they waited for a day when the DA was very good. With meth, you can keep the car in positive timing through a hit. It is essentially a necessity.

Mike

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
The biggest problem is not the DI, it is the out of control IATs that are the result of a too small turbo, operating out of its efficiency zone and a too small and restrictive intercooler. On my 1/4 mile passes I was seeing IAts as high as 185, and it was pulling the car down into negative timing and killing the power.

Mike
No one makes a real turbo upgrade for cars that don't have a fueling solution. It just does not make sense. Sure, you could always fab up a header (or adapter plate in the case of the new 2.3 ecoboost) but there is no point if it is just to run lower boost to mae the same whp and less torque.

You see crazy high intake temps when you are spinning the piss out of a tiny compressor wheel.

I think we may be in luck though as the 2.3 mustang will sell in much greater numbers than the ms3, and have a much bigger aftermarket. Someone, if not ford racing, will male injectors and a bigger fuel pump if it is needed. Especially since this mill will be in the next Focus RS.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
No one makes a real turbo upgrade for cars that don't have a fueling solution. It just does not make sense. Sure, you could always fab up a header (or adapter plate in the case of the new 2.3 ecoboost) but there is no point if it is just to run lower boost to mae the same whp and less torque.

You see crazy high intake temps when you are spinning the piss out of a tiny compressor wheel.

I think we may be in luck though as the 2.3 mustang will sell in much greater numbers than the ms3, and have a much bigger aftermarket. Someone, if not ford racing, will male injectors and a bigger fuel pump if it is needed. Especially since this mill will be in the next Focus RS.

Upgraded turbos are coming. Full Race already has a system developed, although it is not available yet for the general public. It is based off of a Borg Warner turbo and an adapter for the "headifold." Apparently, they made 500 RWHP and 450 TQ with their car.

Mike

Voltwings

Established Member
I still believe its easier to add a PI manifold with 4 separate injectors instead of trying to upgrade the DI system. With adding the PI, you have so many more options and perks, including the cooling effects similar to spraying methanol. You also, as some people have done, have the option of plumbing your PI system to a separate surge tank. 93 in the gas tank through the DI injectors, and E85, methanol, or what have you through the PI injectors that only spray at WOT; best of both worlds.

I still think we are quite a ways off until DI injector swaps become as easy, or common, as PI injector swaps. They're also much more expensive, so theres that to consider as well.

^^ That full race car is nice as well, everything they make is just absolutely stunning.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Upgraded turbos are coming. Full Race already has a system developed, although it is not available yet for the general public. It is based off of a Borg Warner turbo and an adapter for the "headifold." Apparently, they made 500 RWHP and 450 TQ with their car.

Mike

They mentioned that HP rating at SEMA, but I have a hard time believing that the car was actually tuned to that level. At the time it was built the tuning capabilities just hadn't progresses that far. It's very possible that they are making that now though.

I still believe its easier to add a PI manifold with 4 separate injectors instead of trying to upgrade the DI system. With adding the PI, you have so many more options and perks, including the cooling effects similar to spraying methanol. You also, as some people have done, have the option of plumbing your PI system to a separate surge tank. 93 in the gas tank through the DI injectors, and E85, methanol, or what have you through the PI injectors that only spray at WOT; best of both worlds.

I still think we are quite a ways off until DI injector swaps become as easy, or common, as PI injector swaps. They're also much more expensive, so theres that to consider as well.

^^ That full race car is nice as well, everything they make is just absolutely stunning.

Word is that the turbo on the RS will be an upgrade for the Mustang. Also, there's a possibility that an existing Ford manifold may bolt up to this engine. I haven't looked into it much, but the head design on the intake side may be similar to some PI engines of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread