When is autotrader responsible?!?!

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Ok, well after looking through autotrader.com and the book I have found over 300 scams. I have only looked in motorcycles, Porsche, and MB so far. These people put fake phone numbers and fake address to where the car is and then send you an email saying to send them money without any chance of a COD. They are sell Porsche Turbo's for $5000. MB AMG class cars for under $10,000, and motorcycles for half their actual value. I mean I know that every once in a while you get a good deal, but $5000 for a car that cost well over $110,000 is just insane. When is Auto trader liable for this? Thousands of dollars are year are just given away to criminals because auto trader doesn't want to hire one guy to site down everyday and actually go through the ads? Its makes it hard for people who actually want to sell their car when you can buy the same car with less miles for $20k cheaper....but then you get scammed, and now you don't have enough to buy the original car you wanted. I don't know but I bet plenty of people fall for these things or they would not spend the money to do them. How would you like $5000 for doing nothing? *sigh* I just really don't know. I personally think that if you get scammed then auto trader should be responsible, or they should try to at least pretend to stop the scamming. I mean I have been scammed on ebay, and that sucked and I lost $500, but that's my fault, and ebay deleted the guys account and stuff like that. Auto trader does nothing!! Nothing at all to even attempt to stop this stuff. Anyway, your opinion?

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
my opinion is caveat emperor or whatever the hell it is
buyer beware
if you're dumb enough to fall for something so oubvious maybe you'll be smarter next time

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Scoriox said:
Why should Auto Trader pay for someone else's stupidity?
Not everyone one is an online guru. There are millions of people that have no idea about these scams. If autotrader doesnt want to spend $6 an hour to pay someone to do this then they sould have to take the blame, or at least part of it.

I just spent about an hour, maybe 2 at the most and found hundreds....why they hell can they not find them?

Last edited:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Venix said:
Not everyone one is an online guru. There are millions of people that have no idea about these scams. If autotrader doesnt want to spend $6 an hour to pay someone to do this then they sould have to take the blame, or at least part of it.
if there's a $60,000 car going for $5000, then any rational normal person would have alarmbells ringing!
It's plain and simple stupidity. Especially if they buy a car sight unseen, or put $5000 down unseen.

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
if there's a $60,000 car going for $5000, then any rational normal person would have alarmbells ringing!
It's plain and simple stupidity. Especially if they buy a car sight unseen, or put $5000 down unseen.
I agree, but with 300 million people in the US, i can bet that at least 10 million people have no idea or frame of though that way.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Venix said:
I agree, but with 300 million people in the US, i can bet that at least 10 million people have no idea or frame of though that way.
too bad then huh?
that's my honest opinion. You can't make everyone wear a condom, you can't stop stupid people.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Venix said:

I just spent about an hour, maybe 2 at the most and found hundreds....why they hell can they not find them?

Should we hold SVTP responsible for people being ripped off?

Should we hold SVTP's admins liable?

Should we hold the members liable?

Hold you liable?

George Bush?

The answer is no, buyer beware.

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Scoriox said:
Should we hold SVTP responsible for people being ripped off?

Should we hold SVTP's admins liable?

Should we hold the members liable?

Hold you liable?

George Bush?

The answer is no, buyer beware.
Do you pay to place an ad on svtp? If a service is provided, and charged for, then they should have responsibilities.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
my opinion is caveat emperor or whatever the hell it is
buyer beware
if you're dumb enough to fall for something so oubvious maybe you'll be smarter next time

An avid Judge Joe Brown watcher, obviously. :)

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
did you read it? Sometimes they will say like 5000 down payment or w/e

but yes 95% of the time they are scams

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
crew_dawg16 said:
An avid Judge Joe Brown watcher, obviously. :)
hahaha only a few times when I was super super sick and couldn't find the remote and was stuck after a nap. But other than that, no.
Judge judy & the People's court all the way, bitch!

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Black96SVT said:
did you read it? Sometimes they will say like 5000 down payment or w/e

but yes 95% of the time they are scams
Yes they want 5000 down on somthing that is at 25% of the market value.
like I said if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The better question would be when will people take responsibility for their own actions?

If someone is stupid enough to think they can get a 60,000 dollar car for 5,000 dollars, then tough shit. I would imagine if you are that stupid then you probably get scamed out of your money frequently. Would it be nice if autotrader tried to cut down on the scams? yes.

Do I think they should be held responsible? no.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Venix said:
Do you pay to place an ad on svtp? If a service is provided, and charged for, then they should have responsibilities.

Yes you "pay" for it by viewing ads on the site.

No they should not be held liable for the actions of their customers. They are simply offering a place for people to put ads. They are not actively engaged in the act of selling actual merchandise.

Users who are viewing this thread