When Honda wants $1500 for a 50cc dirt bike, you call China!

Zemedici

Established Member
I would ABSOLUTELY get a cheap knockoff bike to make sure they enjoy the sport prior to dropping a decent bit for them to ride it for 20 minutes and realize they don't like it. Same reason I went mid grade with my PC build, vs spending $4000 on a setup to realize its really not my thing. Start small and work your way up. No one started at the top.

Or I would go 'new plastics on older bike' route. Never thought of that.

cammed 2v gt

Established Member
I would ABSOLUTELY get a cheap knockoff bike to make sure they enjoy the sport prior to dropping a decent bit for them to ride it for 20 minutes and realize they don't like it. Same reason I went mid grade with my PC build, vs spending $4000 on a setup to realize its really not my thing. Start small and work your way up. No one started at the top.

Or I would go 'new plastics on older bike' route. Never thought of that.

Exactly. Had a buddy get burned on this. His daughter who had ridden a quad when she was little expressed interest in learning to ride a bike with her dad. He picked her up a brand new ttr230 for her to fall over once in the dirt lot in the first 5 minutes of riding and decide that she had no interest in only having 2 wheels. Granted all us 200+ lb guys had some fun in the backyard with the thing for a few months but ultimately he certainly didn’t break even when he sold the bike.

'14 Grabber Blue GT
Stock + drag radial
12.60@114

ArabianOak

Established Member
Just got the 110cc a few minutes ago. She’s all together and fired right up! Electric start and automatic. Tons of power.

Test rode all three and they are all excellent. No welds broke! Lol.

4DFD751E-ADC8-406F-85AA-104EADDA1A43.jpeg
3D283242-B20F-4C6D-992D-4E3D70C4A415.jpeg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'd look at it like a cheap project. If the engine broke.. Id fix it. If the welds broke, I would re-weld them. For the money and fun, you can't beat them. If you can't weld or wrench, then roll the dice bud.

Toyless

Established Member
These things look pretty nice... Have yet to see one in person.

I bought my 6 year old daughter a new crf 50 two years ago and I'll to pass it down to my 2 year old son.. let him beat it and I bet I'll still get $8-900 for it.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Im that idiot that bought my 6yo a 2018 Honda CRF50 brand new. Paid sticker +++. It was $2200 otd. From day one it had problems with the front forks. Needed to be completely rebuilt. Twice... The bike was a month old and only ridden once by my 6yo. I had to fight with the dealer to get Honda to warranty them. They claimed the bike was crashed but had no evidence to prove so. The bike was flawless. Only ridden on grass.

Then after that was all sorted out, he did crash. The bars bent like they were nothing. We are talking about a 1st gear lay down in grass. $120 later, and I got new bars and a new grip. Then a few weeks later it stopped wanting to start. And when it would, it would bog bad. The stock carbs are no longer able to have their A/F screws adjusted. There is a brass cap pressed over it and you need to drill it out to get to it. I was able to find an older style chinese carb on Amazon for $12. Bought two. And both of them allowed me to tune the 50 to run better than it did stock.

The stock tires were also junk too. On hard pack, they are like slicks. I had to replace the tires with real tires that would not cause him to wipe out on every turn. He was on the bleeding edge of growing out of it, so I decided to sell it this last fall. Ended up getting $1100 for it. And the buyer wanted to haggle more. I had to hold strong and I still lost $1100 on it. Plus the two sets of bars and two carbs and tires.

NEVER again will I buy one of those name brand bikes for him brand new. These chinese bikes are perfect for the kids that are not serious racers and just want to back yard or trail ride. Thanks for posting this. I will be buying a 70cc and probably a 110cc quad for this up coming summer.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Lol, you can't compare a KTM 50SX to the likes of a Honda CRF50 or Yamaha TTR50. The KTM 50SX is a race bike, not intended for learning purposes like the CRF50, and is priced as such.
Yeah and gold digging chics buy $2000 purses when they can get one for $20 at Ross. That KTM price is Ridiculous...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im that idiot that bought my 6yo a 2018 Honda CRF50 brand new. Paid sticker +++. It was $2200 otd. From day one it had problems with the front forks. Needed to be completely rebuilt. Twice... The bike was a month old and only ridden once by my 6yo. I had to fight with the dealer to get Honda to warranty them. They claimed the bike was crashed but had no evidence to prove so. The bike was flawless. Only ridden on grass.

Then after that was all sorted out, he did crash. The bars bent like they were nothing. We are talking about a 1st gear lay down in grass. $120 later, and I got new bars and a new grip. Then a few weeks later it stopped wanting to start. And when it would, it would bog bad. The stock carbs are no longer able to have their A/F screws adjusted. There is a brass cap pressed over it and you need to drill it out to get to it. I was able to find an older style chinese carb on Amazon for $12. Bought two. And both of them allowed me to tune the 50 to run better than it did stock.

The stock tires were also junk too. On hard pack, they are like slicks. I had to replace the tires with real tires that would not cause him to wipe out on every turn. He was on the bleeding edge of growing out of it, so I decided to sell it this last fall. Ended up getting $1100 for it. And the buyer wanted to haggle more. I had to hold strong and I still lost $1100 on it. Plus the two sets of bars and two carbs and tires.

NEVER again will I buy one of those name brand bikes for him brand new. These chinese bikes are perfect for the kids that are not serious racers and just want to back yard or trail ride. Thanks for posting this. I will be buying a 70cc and probably a 110cc quad for this up coming summer.

Thank you for being honest.

Most of us have had similar experiences (me) which is why I hold the opinion I do.

All the rest is just talk from people who read on the internet all day.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your sons experience with that Honda! Not the first ive heard of it happening. Crazy to think Honda pulls that crap on warranty stuff! I've been noticing the last 10-15 years that Honda quality has steadily gone down. I'd put Yamaha ahead of them not only for innovation but also quality. The honda motorcycle division is a pretty big blunder at this point minus the new the Goldwing (which are not selling).

Very happy with my decision gang. More money to put toward my Audi R8 V10 this spring! lol

blk02edge

Established Member
Evil country that the United States buys BILLIONS of products from including PLENTY of stuff you buy. The OP does a good thing and he gets 4 pages of ridicule..
yea ok, another one who lets the point fly over his head.

blk02edge

Established Member

The classic my innocent child bent steel handlebars going 4mph on grass story. Never gets old.. There is a reason dirtbikes dont have warranty, some people get it some dont

Blackoyote

Established Member
Yeah and gold digging chics buy $2000 purses when they can get one for $20 at Ross. That KTM price is Ridiculous...

Sorry, but these two aren't analogous.

The two purses will still function in the exact same way, so yeah, a $2000 purse is ****ing stupid.

A CRF50 and a 50SX are completely different bikes with different functions, for different age/sized people, with a much deeper skill set.

This is the intended purpose of 50cc, air cooled, centrifugal clutched, 4 stroke bikes like the CRF50/TTR.

This is the 50SX in the habitat it was built for.

The 50SX is a smaller version of their actual SX bikes, hence the price.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Those 7yo kids on the KTMs were ripping it!

Would a 110 be reasonable for a 140lbs adult?

Users who are viewing this thread