When do you need to upgrade fuel tank

jaxbusa

Established Member
I have a supercharged 2001 Bullitt that makes 400 to the wheels. The car was having hesitation issues between shifts, and I read that removing a check valve (PPRV delete) on the fuel pump eliminated the issue. After removing the valve, it has hot starting issues. I’m looking at going with a return system with dual pumps in a hat that goes in the stock tank. When would I need to upgrade to a Cobra style tank with baffling? It seems to me that the new hat doesn’t have any baffling. Has anyone had an issue of the pumps sucking air? And should I use a Hobbs switch on one pump so it comes on with boost?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

blownstang4.6

Established Member
You never need to upgrade the tank, but it is recommended. You just need to keep the tank above 1/4 filled if you don't get a cobra or similar tank that is baffled. With a pprv delete it will be harder to start the car. Flip the key three times to let the pump prime and it should start much better. What are your goals with the car? If you don't plan on making more power than the stock motor can handle then it's kind of pointless to upgrade to a return system. Best would be to have the second pump come on when it's needed, but at your current power level you'll never need a second pump.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I have future plans to make 550 -600. Turning the key a couple times helps, but the issue makes it so my wife can’t even start it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Most ways you run a return system you’ll still need to prime. My pumps are on solid at key on so I turn forward, put on my seatbelt and by then it’ll fire right off.

Before that I would just let it prime twice and it would start. Maybe the tuner can make the pump cycle longer?

As mentioned you don’t HAVE to upgrade the tank, just don’t run the tank down.

If I did it over again I’d have a switch so it only ran on one pump out of boost so it wasn’t cycling fuel to the hot engine so much

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I have future plans to make 550 -600. Turning the key a couple times helps, but the issue makes it so my wife can’t even start it.

You dont really need a return system for that but your choice. Will it be on 93 only or E85?

jaxbusa

Established Member
The kit I’m looking at can do E85. I’ve talked with my tuner and there doesn’t seem to be a fix other than a return system. That’s why I’m asking. I wish I didn’t have to for my power level. I’ve done research on my issue and some don’t have it. I’m at my end with it.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
The fix to your issue is not going return. Your tuner can make some tweaks in the tune for cold fuel too so that it doesn't start as rough. Can have it prime a second or two longer on key on. Hesitation issues between shifts can also be tuned out.

jaxbusa

Established Member
The car starts perfectly when it’s cold. When it’s warmed up it just turns over and over. I eventually have to work the gas pedal like a carbureted car. I have explained this to the tuner multiple times and he’s sent different tunes to try. He says it’s needs a return fuel system. When the tuner told me that I did not believe him. My mind went directly to ‘03-‘04 Cobras with a blowers and returnless fuel systems. He explained that they have between shift hesitation issues when they add more boost. A few searches lead me to seeing all of the people with issues and me believing him. I do wonder if a few tweaks can make the problem better or if it’ll just mask it and it’ll rear it’s ugly head every now and then. Another thought is if I take it to another tuner and they can’t completely eliminate the issues I will have just wasted money and time that could have went to a return system. I still might call a different tuner and see what they say. I don’t want to spend money if I don’t have to, but I do see future plans where a return that can run E85 would be beneficial.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Then it needs a hot fuel adjustment. Mine had that issue years ago. Tune adjustment fixed it right up. Don't want to say anything bad about your tuner, but doesn't sound like he's as experienced as others. Guys are running 700rwhp on returnless setups without these issues.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The car starts perfectly when it’s cold. When it’s warmed up it just turns over and over. I eventually have to work the gas pedal like a carbureted car. I have explained this to the tuner multiple times and he’s sent different tunes to try. He says it’s needs a return fuel system. When the tuner told me that I did not believe him. My mind went directly to ‘03-‘04 Cobras with a blowers and returnless fuel systems. He explained that they have between shift hesitation issues when they add more boost. A few searches lead me to seeing all of the people with issues and me believing him. I do wonder if a few tweaks can make the problem better or if it’ll just mask it and it’ll rear it’s ugly head every now and then. Another thought is if I take it to another tuner and they can’t completely eliminate the issues I will have just wasted money and time that could have went to a return system. I still might call a different tuner and see what they say. I don’t want to spend money if I don’t have to, but I do see future plans where a return that can run E85 would be beneficial.

you need a new tuner then.

I ran around with PPRV deleted for a while and never had any issue like that. Even if I didn't prime the system just letting it run on the starter for 5-10 seconds it would fire right up

jaxbusa

Established Member
you need a new tuner then.

I ran around with PPRV deleted for a while and never had any issue like that. Even if I didn't prime the system just letting it run on the starter for 5-10 seconds it would fire right up

5-10 seconds of turning the engine over sounds like a long time. I wouldn’t be happy with that.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Then it needs a hot fuel adjustment. Mine had that issue years ago. Tune adjustment fixed it right up. Don't want to say anything bad about your tuner, but doesn't sound like he's as experienced as others. Guys are running 700rwhp on returnless setups without these issues.

Can you run on E85 with just pumps on the stock returnless system?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
5-10 seconds of turning the engine over sounds like a long time. I wouldn’t be happy with that.

again, that's only if someone didn't prime the system first. It's longer than I care for but it requires no touching of the gas pedal or anything like that. If I prime the system (FPDM style system - turn key forward twice and then start when second prime is finished. Return style - prime while putting on seatbelt) it starts like any other car

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Can you run on E85 with just pumps on the stock returnless system?

Many have with E85 compatible pumps. If the rest of the system is not rated for E85 you need to make sure to cycle 93 through it every so often and make sure the car doesn't sit for long periods with E85 in it. A tank of 93 at least once a month and no sitting for more than a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread