Wheel widening Another Happy Weldcraft customer

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
After four long weeks of waiting my custom wheels have finally arrived. I had Weldcraft Wheels do the widening which ran be about $200 per wheel plus about $30 or so to fix some road rash and of course roundtrip shipping. I decided to go with the 10” wheel for my rears with a custom billet bolt on spacers. I’ll probably have to do some modifying of my exhaust and maybe a little massaging of the fenders but we’ll see. I plan on only using MT drag radials with these and Nittos if i have to.

It’s going to be awhile before I get these things mounted and bolted in place though since I’ve pretty much gutted everything from my undercarriage for my rust removal / undercoating project I’m currently working on. I’ll keep you guys posted but I wanted to share some pictures for now. Special thanks to Weldcraft Wheels who did an excellent job, welds are very clean and slick looking. I’d also like to thank buddha93 and my buddy Chris for all the help and advice too, THANKS GUYS!

...I have tons of ongoing projects I’m currently working on with this car and unfortunately I've only driven her around the block twice since I purchased her five months ago and I'm getting a little antsy :burnout: check out my garage for updates too.

IMG00103-20100513-1949.jpg

IMG00106-20100513-1951.jpg

IMG00107-20100513-1951.jpg

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Awesome, glad it worked out for.

Those guys do some amazing work, eh? Looks like it turned out really nice. Post back when you get them bolted back up. I'd like to know how the 10" works.

BTW, I can give the name of the place that did my spacers.....I'll have to dig through my paperwork. Just shoot me a PM/Email and I'll get that info for you.

drkhrse

Established Member
Nice, When i had mine done (9.25" wide) they added a new inner ring so there is only one weld. What size tire do you plan to run? mini tubs? I can get spacers made for you if you can't find any, I have them designed up already. Be sure they are Hub-centric, not the cheep ones that locate on the studs.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
thanks guys, the spacers I'm having made will be a billet hub and wheel centric design. I'm going to run MT ET Steet radials 275/40/17, no mini tubs here just need to get the correct spacer and maybe a little work to the fender and catback.

IMG00097-20100504-1953.jpg

Last edited:

red95gts

Established Member
I assume these are stock 93 Cobra wheels?

Looks like they did great work. How thick of a spacer will you have to run on the rear?

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Yes these are my factory cobra rims.

Until I get my rearend and MM panhard bar installed and the rear is centered perfectly I wont know the exact size of my spacer but I'm sure it'll be between ¾ and 1” (guessing 7/8th). Once I’m centered up I'll get the tires mounted on my rims and just play around with it until I’m happy with the fender to exhaust clearance.

….but before I get there I have to finish my undercoating project. I’m actually pulling my tranny now, just fighting the last bolt now, then its out….then I'll pull my motor and fuel lines next. Once I have all of the rust removed and treated I’ll spray my liner and I can finally start putting crap back together.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
Well looks like he going to be planting the power to the pavement instead of blowing the tire off on the strip or street!!!!! I think its going to look good !!!!!!

buddha93

Established Member
Yes these are my factory cobra rims.

Until I get my rearend and MM panhard bar installed and the rear is centered perfectly I wont know the exact size of my spacer but I'm sure it'll be between ¾ and 1” (guessing 7/8th). Once I’m centered up I'll get the tires mounted on my rims and just play around with it until I’m happy with the fender to exhaust clearance.

….but before I get there I have to finish my undercoating project. I’m actually pulling my tranny now, just fighting the last bolt now, then its out….then I'll pull my motor and fuel lines next. Once I have all of the rust removed and treated I’ll spray my liner and I can finally start putting crap back together.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep you guys posted.

Yep, that's all I did. Washers stacked on the studs make for a quick mock up.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Instead of washer I used my existing lug nuts and just screwed them down (without the wheel on) making sure all four measured the same depth (example ½” of backspacing) and then just threw the wheel back up there and verify your clearance. From there you can adjust the lugs nuts to your desired backspacing by screwing or unscrewing the lugs.....or just use washers :D

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I just got set widened too. These are 98 Cobra wheels, they go on my 92 with an 03 Cobra IRS. I could only go 1" wider on the inside otherwise it hits the IRS bracket. They also machined 1/8" off the flange to tuck them in a bit more. Great workmanship by Weldcraft.
100_23481.jpg
[/IMG]
100_23461.jpg
[/IMG]

Liv4Spd

Established Member
I think I am about to bite the bullet an get my extra set of wheels widened. Can I ask who you talked to at Weldcraft for the $200 pricing? Also, does this number account for shipping; and if not, what was the shipping per-wheel? For reference, I'm thinking about going 9 1/4, and the wheels should not need any fixing.

Thanks!

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I don’t remember who I talked to about the pricing but I called three times over a six month period and got the same quote every time. It was $200ea wheel for anything between ½” – 3”s wide just for the widening. I paid a little extra for some curb rash to be fixed. Outside of that you’ll need to make sure you pack you wheels in a double walled box large enough to fit your custom wheels in since they’ll reuse the same box to ship them back to you. If your box is damaged they’ll have to replace it which will add to your shipping fees. I think it cost me an additional $50 or so to ship them back to me in my original box.

If you go to the questions/answers page on their site it’ll pretty much tell you everything you’ll need to know.

Weldcraft wheels FAQ

Good luck

Last edited:

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Reread the post and answered my own question :dancenana:

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Reread the post and answered my own question :dancenana:

sorry i've been out of pocket and my project was put on hold for a week or so. I hope to spray my undercoating in the next week or two and maybe ready for mounting in about a month or so....I'll keep you guys posted.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Does anyone know if a stock '95 17" x 9" R wheel with 275/40s will have any clearance issues on the inside with the quad shock or on the outside with the fender? I'm also lowering from stock with H&R Sport springs, about an 1". A little off subject, but I'd appreciate the advise. Oh, this isn't an R either, it's my '89.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Well it's been a slow moving project but i wanted to post a picture of my 275 MT on my newly widen OEM wheel. I made a boo-boo on one of the rims so I’m waiting on another rim to be widened and sent to me. I’ve also included a picture of the paint job I did myself, pictures are from my phone so they’re not the best.

IMG00222-20100801-1318.jpg

IMG00223-20100801-1455.jpg

IMG00226-20100802-2009.jpg

IMG00225-20100802-2008.jpg

IMG00224-20100802-2007.jpg

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
they do awesome work!! I will be using them again when I figure what wheels I am gonna stick with :-D

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Thanks guys....I'll keep you posted. I just need to figure out what size wheel adapter to order and wait for my other rim to be widened then I'll be ready to mount um up.

Users who are viewing this thread