Wheel Spacers

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Looking for recommendations on a manufacturer of spacers. I need spacer for my front wheels to clear the front calipers. Are they pretty much the same or are there some to stay away from?
thanks

PM-Performance

Established Member
How much space do you need?
If just a few MM, any spacers from a parts store will work.
If you need over 1/2" then get studded ones just realize your wheels may need to be notched to clear the lugnuts. American Muscle/LMR ect sells the studded ones.

Either which way really determines on the space you need, but overall, spacers are spacers. Brand isnt overly important. Its just alum caked between more aluminum

fullboogie

Established Member
Do you even know if our wheels are lug centric, or hub/bore centric? That sure would make a big difference on the spacer type.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Do you even know if our wheels are lug centric, or hub/bore centric? That sure would make a big difference on the spacer type.
Not entirely an issue, but yes it helps for those too lazy to make an effort to center their wheels properly.
I would say deff know bore size though before buying. Always a smart thing to do.

fullboogie

Established Member
There's no manually centering a wheel. If our wheels are bore/hub centric and you put a sloppy spacer on there you're ****ed.

PM-Performance

Established Member
There's no manually centering a wheel. If our wheels are bore/hub centric and you put a sloppy spacer on there you're ****ed.
I have not run hubcentric rings in any cars on any wheels in over 20 yrs.
I have also not run hubcentric spacers plenty of times.
Yes they are better, but this isn’t anything overly crucial if you pay any iota of attention when mounting your wheels.
Sure it is a good idea though.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
How much space do you need?
If just a few MM, any spacers from a parts store will work.
If you need over 1/2" then get studded ones just realize your wheels may need to be notched to clear the lugnuts. American Muscle/LMR ect sells the studded ones.

Either which way really determines on the space you need, but overall, spacers are spacers. Brand isnt overly important. Its just alum caked between more aluminum
I won't know the spacing I need until tonight when I measure. I think it will just be a few millimeters to make it work.

Hub centric

PM-Performance

Established Member
don’t overthink it and drive yourself nuts about it. Parts store spacers will be adequate. I think they sell up to like 20mm at most stores and are universal within reason

fullboogie

Established Member
You have no idea what you are talking about PM. I've got a lot of experience with wheel spacers having owned 3 Tacomas and 2 4Runners, all with highly modded suspensions and all of which use hubcentric aftermarket wheels. OP, you put a non-hubcentric spacer on there and you'll be miserable. Do your research and don't listen to the latest expert on everything on this forum.

PM-Performance

Established Member
You have no idea what you are talking about PM. I've got a lot of experience with wheel spacers having owned 3 Tacomas and 2 4Runners, all with highly modded suspensions and all of which use hubcentric aftermarket wheels. OP, you put a non-hubcentric spacer on there and you'll be miserable. Do your research and don't listen to the latest expert on everything on this forum.

let’s agree to disagree. Your experience isn’t anymore than mine.
I’m just telling you my experience.

fullboogie

Established Member
Without a lug centric wheel, please explain exactly how a hubcentric wheel will stay perfectly centered when spaced out with a non-hubcentric spacer. Other than eyeballing it, which appears to be your method. I really want to know.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I have always eyeballed. I have not had an issue.
I also do not use tq wrenches and I have drag raced on wide spacers and without hubcentric rings as well and I do not retorque lugnuts 25 miles after installing wheels.

I guess I live life on the wild side.

OP good luck. Let us know if you are able to find a spacer that works for you.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You can get custom spacers at US Wheel Adapters. If the spacer is thin enough, you shouldn't have issues with wheel hub concentricity. For thicker spacers, these guys can make them hub concentric in whatever size you need.

What brake/wheel combo are you attempting to fit and how much clearance you looking to obtain? A set of 1/2" washers might help you figure how much clearance you need, but that would be for measurement purposes ONLY.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Those are the ones I used to run rear 20” factory wheels all around on my ‘14.
Expensive but will the best option.
Also, I bent rear 3” ARP studs launching with these spacers on.
Not sure if that caused it, but just my experience.
Also, for guys thinking of installing front wheel studs, you can buy the 302S front hubs with upgraded wheel bearings and the 3” ARP studs preinstalled.
-J

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
What brake/wheel combo are you attempting to fit and how much clearance you looking to obtain? A set of 1/2" washers might help you figure how much clearance you need, but that would be for measurement purposes ONLY.
I have some race star 17x9.5’s on the rear that I may put on the front. Stock ‘07 front calipers. Test fit them a couple of years ago and there was some interference. I have some 17x7 race stars, but the stick out a little far for my taste and the 255 tires bulge as well. Right now I think a 1/4” spacer will work.

thanks to all for the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread