Wheel sealant for polished wheels?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking to throw a coat of sealant on my polished True Forged wheels. What do you guys recommend?
Shineseal?
Wheel Guard?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Any sealant will work, the longevity of a sealant or wax on wheels isn't that great, so you will just need to apply it more frequently.

Wax: Collinite 845
Sealant: McKee's37 Hi def paint sealant
Water activated: McKee's37 or Adam's Polishes

Some of my favs, but I coat all of mine now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
McKees paint sealant is designed for polished aluminum?
I figured it would be a specific product for wheels.

MG0h3

Established Member
Do you drive in the rain?

If not, I don’t see the need. I just wipe mine down with a cloth every now and then

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Might consider this,
Sharkhide

I'll have to look into it.
Where are all the CCW and True Forged guys?

Do you drive in the rain?

If not, I don’t see the need. I just wipe mine down with a cloth every now and then

I've been caught in the rain before, but not intentionally. Im just tired of having to polish them after every wash.
@Steve@TF do you still recommend Shineseal?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I'll have to look into it.
Where all the CCW and True Forged guys?
@Steve tf

I've been caught in the rain before, but bot intentionally. Im just tired of having to polish them after every wash.
@Steve@TF do you still recommend Shineseal?

Ahhhh ok.

I use the black 55g garbage bags and put them over the entire wheel/tire. Sliced one side open and they slide right over

I polished mine once when I bought them. I’ve done a real quick (like 5-10min) per wheel maybe 3 times over the last 5yrs.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
McKees paint sealant is designed for polished aluminum?
I figured it would be a specific product for wheels.

I'm not sure it was designed for polished alum, but it works! Easy on and off, no hazing. I'm sure there are wheel specific products out there (wheel wax, etc) but don't use them.

Wheels are difficult to 'protect'. Heat, brake dust, getting nailed with water in the rain, etc...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it was designed for polished alum, but it works! Easy on and off, no hazing. I'm sure there are wheel specific products out there (wheel wax, etc) but don't use them.

Wheels are difficult to 'protect'. Heat, brake dust, getting nailed with water in the rain, etc...

You're not kidding. Im considering getting them polished and then powdercoated clear over the winter. Its the lip on the wheel that drives me nuts.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I’ve mainly used HydrO2, but I too am tired of maintaining my TF wheels. They are beautiful when clean. Cleaning after washing them is painful - I never thought of the garbage bag idea to avoid any water.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You're not kidding. Im considering getting them polished and then powder coated clear over the winter. Its the lip on the wheel that drives me nuts.

Powder coating is going to take some of the "pop" away of polished, it slightly dulls the finish. The proper way to do it is to clear coat like you would with paint it, but you have to use a certain bonding agent (which the name escapes me right now) to bond clear coat to aluminum, it isn't cheap.

This should give you some idea, on the left is a factory Marauder wheel which is polished and clear coated. On the right is a refinished wheel that was polished and powder coated. Notice how the clear coated wheel has a bit of a rainbow sheen in the light while the powder coated one does not?

DSC_8456-X3.jpg

Here is a post over on the marauder forum from someone who actually refinished the wheels to OE specs

Just wanted to point this out before you go through with it so you know what to expect, my powder coated wheels still looks good but next to factory wheels you could tell a difference.

5.0Black

Established Member
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor, lasts a year and is very easy to apply.

As far as polishes go I like Optimum and Gtechniq M1.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, those are inside though haha.

That's how I would clean them.
Wash, blow dry.
Bring em in the living room and get to work while watching tv.

Mount em back on the car and good for a few weeks or months.
~~I used White Diamond and don't do polished wheels anymore

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Man.... I almost want to get my Welds powercoated because they are a pain to keep shiny. Lot of work for just a wash and dry guy like myself.

I looked into sealants but I think I'm just going to get them coated in the future. Problem is finding a color I like on a black car.

Users who are viewing this thread