wheel hop

KillrCobra

Established Member
Just took the Cobra to the track last night for the first time, and till now have yet to experience the wheel hop I keep hearing about. Now I know!!! How in the hell are you supposed to get a good 60 ft time??? Hell, on my last run it was so bad that it knocked the damn car out of gear!

So without swapping for a solid axle, what else can be done to get rid of this?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Welcome to the club, I didn't know I had any until last time at the track and WOW was all I can say.

The best route is the following..

Higher Rate Springs, a set of good Shocks, IRS Braces and GKN half shafts.

I personally bought the suspension from the Cobra R and the FR500 IRS brace. Should be here soon!

Shawn

KillrCobra

Established Member
Shawn,
Well, let me know how much it helps. Should the GKN halfshafts be able to withstand some 4.10s and DRs? Also, what's the best way to launch...1,500 and just ease the clutch out?

Joe

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Joe,

I heard the GKN Stage 3 Halfshafts, and the gears can handle the DR's and good launch's. I've tried every launch possible, 4 grand slip, 3500 slip, 2500 slip etc.. 1 time I got a 2.1 60' car just hooked and took off. But I managed to miss third and screw up that one!

I will let you know when I get it on.

Also, for more info, look for Joe Lynch on the Corral, he has a nice webpage on your questions.

Shawn

01svtcobra

Established Member
I went to the track this past friday with the goal of lowering my 60' time....I got some good results with the following technique.

after "just" turning the tires over a few times (not smoking out for the crowd) then cluching out with out spinning but lifting the front of the car (surging hard) just to get a feel before taking off from the line.

I had the rpm @ 1800-2000 and when the lights change i rev to 3000 give or take a bit all at the same time as i let off the cluch fairly agressively. You can feel the traction, so if the tires start to brake loose hold the cluch until the tires bit.

I ran a 2.024 60' with the traction control on

I also ran a 2.03 and two 2.04's with out the traction control

Hope that helps, I plan to go back to the track this coming friday.

svtgirl

Girls can too!!!
Established Member
I have the GKN halfshafts, 4:10 gear, blower and IRS brace and it's fine.

SVT4POP

Established Member
You might want to investigate Steeda's '99 - 01 Cobra Differential Bushings also (#324-IRS-100) for $39.95. I've heard that those will also help along with the "industrial strength" half-shafts.

Obviously you can do as Bob Cosby did to his '99 Cobra (Black Cloud) and install a live axle, but that's a whole 'nother topic and wallet size.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
IMHO... A cheap way to help out is to simply lower the air pressure in your rear tires, but make sure you have a way in inflate them again before driving home. The brace and spings will help, and a decent set of DR's. 01svtcobra has a pretty good 60' time, and good advice also.

Last edited:

wildosvt

Established Member
I had some wheel hop my only run due to 2nd gear letting go on me.My first run ever with the car I got a 2.17 60ft.Yeah it is closer to 2.2 then 2.1 but my slip says 2.17.(first time ever on the track for either of us):shrug:

Bk_Breaker_SVT

Established Member
Does anyone know of a good place to get the GKN shafts....I am afraid that my lucky time is running out....I had a great day at the track last week. I got my best ET and MPH ever. I also ran 18 runs. I don't get any wheel hop at all if I launch well (Don't ask me why???) I know I better upgrade soon.....

Users who are viewing this thread