Wheel hop...

TrackpackGT

Established Member
So, after having many rwd cars, I finally gave in and installed LCA's with the expectation I would lessen this Coyote wheelhop madness. Well, it seems to spin sideways and quickly in first gear, so I pedaled some and short shifted to second only to experience that mad wheel hop again. Maybe it's a combination of these stock 19" Pirellis and low 50 degree weather? I'm headed to the track for the first time in this car and the first time since 2009, hopefully it won't be an issue there. I did also get the axle tubes welded this morning as I'm trying to be proactive with everything possible. Thanks for any helpful input. I'm still on stock springs too.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Planning on Koni yellows, kind of wondered if the stock shocks were worsening it.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I bought my car with UCA and LCA's with stock track pack springs and shocks. I had no wheel hop at the track. Now that it's back to stock, I've got wheel hop when playing around on the street. I think all the suspension stuff can help but UCA and LCA's made all the difference for me. BTW, I have a Roush UCA for lowered cars laying around here if you need one.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the offer. Mine isn't lowered yet, but I plan on 1" drop springs.

2014gttrackpack

Established Member
Roush UCA, its a little expensive but it will fix the wheel hop problem and its not noisy like other UCA will be. It totally fix my car...

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
My wheel hop didnt go away until i did the uca. lca helped but it didn't fully go away until I did the upper with the mount.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
There is a thread about this that's like 12 pages long including before and after video.

True, and I believe the UCA made the biggest difference in reducing (or eliminating) wheel hop. I took a plunge and completely redid my suspension in one swap: LCAs, UCA, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, wheels/tires and new shocks/struts all around. The wheel hop is completely gone, but I cannot identify which component made the biggest impact.

Angry50

Established Member
from what i hear the upper seems to stop wheel hop the best. i never had wheel hop so i cant really say. but i do have suspension sitting in my garage to go on. im just missing the upper/mount and new shocks

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I did my suspension all at one time, and have not had wheel hop a single time. No UCA change... but adjustable LCA so I could get pinion angle correct and did the BMR LCA relocation brackets. I know my shocks and springs may have helped too. No hop here!

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Mine isn't lowered, so I wouldn't think I should need LCA brackets yet. My plan is to go with P or Steeda Sport springs and yellows though.

WGPpaintball118

Cadillac Magnet
Established Member
The relocation brackets are great! It makes a more effective angle for the LCA's to drive the axle into the ground. Stock, I had insane wheel hop through 2nd, and a little bit in 3rd.

LCAs, relocation brackets, CJ springs, and an adjustable panhard bar (stock shocks still)...no wheel hop. I'm still on stock wheels/tires, so the car just spins, but the assend plants and tries to hook, you can really feel the car doing what it needs to do.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
It's really sad that Ford sells these things like they are with such insane wheel hop. I guess it's a way to sell aftermarket/performance parts. How much of a difference did you see at the track with the DSS shaft?

WGPpaintball118

Cadillac Magnet
Established Member
It's really sad that Ford sells these things like they are with such insane wheel hop. I guess it's a way to sell aftermarket/performance parts. How much of a difference did you see at the track with the DSS shaft?

Haven't had the car at the track, but you can feel a difference. Definitely more noise going down the road, but its nothing that will drive you crazy. Made decent dyno numbers (dynojet) tho for a driveshaft being the only thing that would make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread