Wheel hop? Launch control?

bumplime

Established Member
Did ford fix the wheel hop with this latest car? I haven't read anything about it in any review. I know the wheel hop on 07-12s was a total PITA. I sure hope this car doesnt need upper/lower cobtrol arms etc Also what do you with 1st hand experience think of the launch control, I heard from someone yesterday who claims to have driven one that it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. However; I doubt his claim simply based on other reviews I've read

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
I personally have not driven one, but with all the magazines and journalists who have so far reviewed the car, wheel hop has not been mentioned at all. The launch control seems to work excellently as well. Tell your "source" to stop drinking the Chevy Kool Aid man...
How was he able to use launch control anyway does he own one? He "drove" one ....and the owner let him launch his brand new GT500 ... Not!

Maybe a fellow owner can chime in and give you the facts....

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Who has had wheel hop? I've used the LC probably 15 times already and it does not experience wheel hop. The LC works awesome on the street. It's not an AWD lambo, but for what it is I think it's pretty awesome.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
what about outside of LC though? i bet this car still benefits from an upper and lowers in the rear, i guarantee that they're the same stamped steel pieces we've had since '07.

as far as a "source" saying that the car isn't "all it's cracked up to be", LOL. all i can do is laugh at that, lmao.

Last edited:

Zeroescence

Established Member
Phantom source aka ZL1 owner. Lol. Watch DBK's vid he made. He has launch controll and burning the tires off. I didn't see wheel hop and the LC part looked like it hooked great. Plus all the magazine boys used the launch control during the reviews. All managed around 11.6-11.8 with a couple in the low low 12's in the 1/4. I say it works fine.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It'd be nice to know exactly what the driveline angles are for the '13 MY. With the addition of the one piece driveshaft, something had to give. To start, some have commented on ride height. I'd like to see a side-by-side with an '11/'12 SVT PP car to check and see if the car sits any lower. Next would be checking both the rear of the transmission as well as the face of the axle housing to verify whether or not anything has changed (and I believe there have been changes made, however minor).

As far as rear control arms go, the lowers appear to be the same stamping although bushing durometers may have been changed. I've yet to see an upper.

bumplime

Established Member
The person I spoke to is a Vendor on other forums, Alex. He was at a Shelby meet I attended yesterday and we spoke for a bit. He modifies a lot of different cars and I was curious what his thoughts were. No idea who's car it was that he drove. He did state it was a 2013,he liked the smooth shifts and the car over all but claimed the launch control a traction control weren't what they should be. I take everything with a grain of salt, thus my question.

No wheel hop? Is this because of the tires and the lack of traction or did Ford eliminate it? Again just curious. My at wheel hopped horribly with T1Rs but not at all with Proxes 4s. With new uppers ad lowers it hooks on DRs. Just wondering what I'll need to change in order to run the 1/4. Obviously I'd probably benefit from a change but is it necessary.

Zeroescence

Established Member
The person I spoke to is a Vendor on other forums, Alex. He was at a Shelby meet I attended yesterday and we spoke for a bit. He modifies a lot of different cars and I was curious what his thoughts were. No idea who's car it was that he drove. He did state it was a 2013,he liked the smooth shifts and the car over all but claimed the launch control a traction control weren't what they should be. I take everything with a grain of salt, thus my question.

No wheel hop? Is this because of the tires and the lack of traction or did Ford eliminate it? Again just curious. My at wheel hopped horribly with T1Rs but not at all with Proxes 4s. With new uppers ad lowers it hooks on DRs. Just wondering what I'll need to change in order to run the 1/4. Obviously I'd probably benefit from a change but is it necessary.

No one to my knowledge has run the car with DR's, so hard to say....yet. But factory config it has proven to be great, look at all the mag reviews. None have stated wheel hop as an issue or at all for that matter.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Pretty sure the wheel hop problem was fixed in 2011 my 12 never had any wheel hop with street tires or 19" or 17" drag radials at the track or on the street.

bumplime

Established Member
DBK, your video is one of the reasons I asked. I didn't see any in your video, nor any of the videos from Road Atlanta.

APMECH

Established Member
Sorry for jacking a 2013 thread, but for the guys saying they have no wheel hop with 2011's, my 2012 hops like crazy, even with BMR lca's on it. I think it all depends on the surface and temp with these tires. I'm doing an upper control arm soon, (and tires) just don't want the too much nvh coming in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread