Wheel fitment troubleshooting

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
(also posted in New Edge section) Tried to install a set of 17x10.5 FR500s on my IRS, have the buttonhead IRS bolt, and a 3/8" spacer, but now not enough room left on the stud to properly thread the lugnut. What would you suggest next? They will fit, just not sure whats the best way to do it... Different lugnuts? Different spacers?

grendel

Established Member
what tires are you running? they ahould fit without the spacer as the irs bolt goes inside the wheel when you lower the car down. you could always go with a longer stud i guess.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i am only running at 315 nitto DR, and the car is lowered, but it looked like it was going to rub without the spacer on. The only SAFE route I saw to go was to put longer/stronger studs in the rears.

Its really frustrating that I finally got the wheels and cant mount them and have to leave them sitting in my garage!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i am only running at 315 nitto DR, and the car is lowered, but it looked like it was going to rub without the spacer on. The only SAFE route I saw to go was to put longer/stronger studs in the rears.

Its really frustrating that I finally got the wheels and cant mount them and have to leave them sitting in my garage!

What exactly is rubbing and where on the vehicle is this contact being made?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Longer studs. Also throw the wheels on the car without the spacers and fully load the suspension and see what happens.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
What exactly is rubbing and where on the vehicle is this contact being made?

It is rubbing along the IRS bolt that I replaced. It is the buttonhead bolt so it is not going to tear anything up, but I dont want to run it that way. I tried it without the spacer but didnt load it because that is where ther rubbing occured. Not to mention, when the lugnut pulled off upon torquing, the stud got stripped so that stud cannot be torqued. Hopefully these longer 3" studs I am going with will do the trick.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It is rubbing along the IRS bolt that I replaced. It is the buttonhead bolt so it is not going to tear anything up, but I dont want to run it that way. I tried it without the spacer but didnt load it because that is where ther rubbing occured. Not to mention, when the lugnut pulled off upon torquing, the stud got stripped so that stud cannot be torqued. Hopefully these longer 3" studs I am going with will do the trick.

Sounds good. Let us know how that works out!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Double post

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

The 3" studs should do the trick. I did however, find that gorilla has what they call an "E-T" lug. This should also solve your issue without having to run longer studs. We can special order these lugs for you if you haven't already purchased the longer studs.
page_13.jpg

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Thank you for that find, however I should get the car back tonight with the longer studs installed. LOL. Besides, I would rather have ample stud thread than 'hopefully enough'. I dont race the car very often at all, but do not want a car that will be running on luck for the wheels to just stay on. Thanks again and I will let you guys know how it works for me.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for that find, however I should get the car back tonight with the longer studs installed. LOL. Besides, I would rather have ample stud thread than 'hopefully enough'. I dont race the car very often at all, but do not want a car that will be running on luck for the wheels to just stay on. Thanks again and I will let you guys know how it works for me.

How did everything work out?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Like a dream! The longer 3" studs coupled with the LFP 3/8" spacers provide more than enough thread and the open-ended lugnuts i purchased from DT work great. Glad to say it all bolted up properly, torqued to spec as it should be (a couple of times for safety). Glad they are finally on.... Thanks for all the help guys!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Like a dream! The longer 3" studs coupled with the LFP 3/8" spacers provide more than enough thread and the open-ended lugnuts i purchased from DT work great. Glad to say it all bolted up properly, torqued to spec as it should be (a couple of times for safety). Glad they are finally on.... Thanks for all the help guys!

:banana:

QMSolutions

When fast isn't enough!
Established Member
Glad to see you were satisfied with the outcome. If you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread