Whats your weapon of choice?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
GTSpartan said:
Till you hit a corner, then it's really bye bye ;-)

Getting beat by ~3 sec at Grattan is getting you a$$ kicked

j/k, everyone stay cool.

Well, we all know Grattan is not a real race track?!? :poke: Maybe if it was maintained?!?! :idea:

Give me Road America, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen or VIR and I'll take the Gt500. You can have the C6 Vette.

Wanna go best three out of four?!?! :poke: ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, we all know Grattan is not a real race track?!? :poke: Maybe if it was maintained?!?! :idea:

Give me Road America, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen or VIR and I'll take the Gt500. You can have the C6 Vette.

Wanna go best three out of four?!?! :poke: ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

I have no doubt you would beat me, but you know that with equal drivers the GT500 doesn't stand a chance against a base Z51 C6 on a road course. Throw in a couple of laps on that s/c and ~4000lbs on those front brakes and it would get worse.

mrGT

Established Member
Am I in the minority or am I just old? I just can't see taking any high dollar car....like the Shelby, the Vette, the Viper, you name 'em...out on a race track and tearing them up. I just don't have that much money to throw at a car like that. I just want a car that looks good 'n tough and can back it up at the street light when called upon. I can see modding a car for that purpose...but I really don't have to be the king of the street or track anymore.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
jman345 said:
Abusive the C6 never beat the GT500 what are you smoking wait you got that from C&D like i said before if you believe a 500hp car goes only 12.9 you are stupid the GT500 will get 12.1 to 12.2 and the c6 gets 12.5 to 12.6 bye bye c6.

Same driver, same day, same track and the C6 beat the GT500 in every performance category.

If you know anything about drag racing you'll know that there's more to straight line performance than just horsepower. The GT500's 500 hp is crippled by it's 3900#. If you calculate the power/weight ratios for both the C6 and GT500 you'd see that both are nearly identical. So if the GT500 is capable of 12.1-12.2 then so is the C6. The fact that the C6 has not hit 12.1-12.2 (at least, not that I know of) leads me to believe that the GT500 is not capable of 12.1-12.2 in stock form. In the same issue of C&D, the M6 (also rated 500 hp and 3900#) was only able to hit 12.4 @120...this just confirms that the GT500 will likely need some modifications to hit anything below 12.4 because the BMW's 7spd SMG is a far superior transmission to the T56. Only time will tell though. I'm curious to see what Even Smith runs.

Last edited:

71TA

Established Member
your probably right mrGT, it would be better to have a couple different cars for different purposes, one to look good it, one to haul ass at the track/strip, and one somewhere inbetween, problem that most ppl have, including me.....is money, money and pride to mix to well and that's where you see ppl try to make an all-star car.....I'm guilty of it too.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
GTSpartan said:
I have no doubt you would beat me, but you know that with equal drivers the GT500 doesn't stand a chance against a base Z51 C6 on a road course. Throw in a couple of laps on that s/c and ~4000lbs on those front brakes and it would get worse.

:-D I won't have to worry about overheating the supercharger because we'll just go for fast lap. After one warm-up lap to put a little heat in the tires, all I need is one more lap.

Brakes? I aint worried about the brakes. :beer: Brakes just slow you down! :coolman:

We are talking about a base C-6 here correct? Not sure what the Z51 means? Corvettes just all seem the same to me?!!?!? :shrug:

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
:-D I won't have to worry about overheating the supercharger because we'll just go for fast lap. After one warm-up lap to put a little heat in the tires, all I need is one more lap.

Brakes? I aint worried about the brakes. :beer: Brakes just slow you down! :coolman:

We are talking about a base C-6 here correct? Not sure what the Z51 means? Corvettes just all seem the same to me?!!?!? :shrug:

A GT500 could probably beat a base C6, 2.73 gears, smaller brakes, softer suspension. I think the one in the C/D test was a Z51 C6, which is why it smoked the GT500 around Grattan. They both had to deal with the same poor track conditions, not just the GT500 :coolman: ;-)

You know as much as anyone on hear that weight KILLS a cars overall performance, more so on a road course than a drag strip as the cars entire dynamcs, i.e. braking, handling, and acceleration are adversely affected.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
GTSpartan said:
A GT500 could probably beat a base C6, 2.73 gears, smaller brakes, softer suspension. I think the one in the C/D test was a Z51 C6, which is why it smoked the GT500 around Grattan. They both had to deal with the same poor track conditions, not just the GT500 :coolman: ;-)

You know as much as anyone on hear that weight KILLS a cars overall performance, more so on a road course than a drag strip as the cars entire dynamcs, i.e. braking, handling, and acceleration are adversely affected.

Yeah, I was just referring to a base C6. I have no clue what goes into a Z51 or a Z52?! ;-) :poke:

Grattan has that hellatious off camber turn and there may just be no recovery for the GT500 after that? Plus you have that damn hump that's like a rocket launching pad. I'm sure the 500 gets REAL upset there? That's why I'd never go back to Grattan. It's really getting run down of late.

On those other tracks I'll take my chances?!?! Equal drivers? That's no fun?!?! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
500 hp Camaro if they build it and don't screw it up (a la GTO). There is a long road between the concept and a production car. I thought the Mustang concept was marvelous, the production cars not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread