Whats your opinion of this smoking problem?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
So I pulled the Cobra out for a spin...

I got slowed down into redlight to redlight bumper to bumper holiday traffic.

From redlight to redlight it was damn near bellowing smoke out of it. The more I gave it gas the more smoke was rolling out of it. This was only in the traffic.

Traffic clears and I WOT smoke clears to ZERO smoke under boost and hauling ass. Then I couldnt replicate the amount of smoke again.

For the record its 100% oil smoke, nothing else.

SOO...

In traffic after coming off the highway for a few pulls the car was smoking BAD. Smoke didnt let up one bit untill I got back up on the highway and went WOT. @ WOT there is ZERO noticeable smoke.

Im thinking a few things.

1. Return line. Maybe it wasnt letting the oil drain correctly and causing it to back up until I was able to open the car up and have the engine suck up most of the oil in the pan to clear the path for the drain again. The drain location is the standard hellion location in the front of the pan more towards the top than the bottom. The return line is huge, not positive but I want to say a -6. It was the same drain I used on my 91mm with no issues.

2. Turbo Seals. The turbo was brand new from turbonetics, but IMO had excessive shaft play out of the box. It was something I was concerned with however being "New" I still used it. Turbo is a GTK1000

3. Rings. The car had excessive blowby but I just put a catch can on and it seemed to be fine. The catch can isnt filling up or anything just what would seem to be a normal amount, HOWEVER it is a positive vent catch can going back into the intake of the turbo.

Anything else I am clueless.

I brought the car back to the house, not smoking at all like it was, but still just parked it back in the garage. The car has NO loss of power and NO smoke at WOT.

I am baffled.

Last edited:

blowngt

Established Member
Easiest thing to do is check the plugs to try and rule out rings.

Also, take a flashlight and peek it the chamber to see if it looks wet.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
I would also say to change your -6 Return Line to a -10! This will facilitate the draining of the oil back into the pan with ease and no restriction.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I would also say to change your -6 Return Line to a -10! This will facilitate the draining of the oil back into the pan with ease and no restriction.

Thats actually what it is, its a dash 10 after going out and looking at the left over hose.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Okay so I found my problem...

1 - 170 5 - 185
2 - 140 6 - 185
3 - 155 7 - 175
4 - 160 8 - 180

Im sure everyone can figure that out.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Honestly if it didnt smoke as bad as it did I would just crank the boost up and beat the piss out of it.

The amount of smoke was very much pull me over territory.

I honestly think its just going to sit in the garage for a while until I am ready. Maybe if I get bored one night I'll pull the engine.

RussZTT

Established Member
That sucks. I wouldn't even trying to put another oil in it. However about your turbo if it isn't BB then there should be NO shaft play.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Dont tell everyone please. I am just stirring shit on the forums. Its obviously going to be a while before I am out running.

Users who are viewing this thread