Whats up with the Predator???

CobraBri

Established Member
I have yet to see one dyno, or one account of the timing or fuel adjustments working properly on a car. I know A/F can vary run to run, but the results of "self" tuning with the timing and especially the fuel adjustments do not look encouraging. I'm inclined not to buy one at this point. Anyone with visible proof that the fuel enrichment works?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
From what I heard and understand, fuel enrichment or adjustment only applies to WOT. It doesn't allow you to adjust the fuel trim at any RPM level -- that's what I would like to see.

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
From what I heard and understand, fuel enrichment or adjustment only applies to WOT. It doesn't allow you to adjust the fuel trim at any RPM level -- that's what I would like to see.

True. Still should see changes on the dyno or onboard widebands during WOT runs. I just looked at a dyno run where they added 1pt of fuel and the entire A/F curve seems to have moved up (leaner) rather than down.:shrug:

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by JClifton
Wouldn't the MafterBurner work well to combat this problem?

-- Jaret

Damn if I wasn't just looking at that on Zone5's site. I'm having trouble with my Diablo tune and am thinking of dumping it and getting a Mafterburner. Fuel control over 400 rpm increments. I guess I learned the hard way- no more mail order chips for me.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Yah.. my 2.76 pulley just showed up today, but I can't put it on as I have no chip... debating if I should even get the predator or just get a chip from rick at amazon.. then buy the mafterburner...

-- Jaret

CobraBri

Established Member
Yah.. my 2.76 pulley just showed up today, but I can't put it on as I have no chip... debating if I should even get the predator or just get a chip from rick at amazon.. then buy the mafterburner...

-- Jaret

Why use a chip if you have the Mafterburner. I would think the stock timing curve would work fine. Also, what is more suitable, Mafterburner OR Afterburner. They seem like they do the same thing but from different "ends."

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Chip tweaks a lot more... i.e. redline, shift light, etc. Then on top of that I could tweak the A/F with the mafterburner... or am I completely wrong... I'm no mechanic.

-- Jaret

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Chip tweaks a lot more... i.e. redline, shift light, etc. Then on top of that I could tweak the A/F with the mafterburner... or am I completely wrong... I'm no mechanic.

-- Jaret

You are correct sir. The hardest thing to nail in a chip tune on these cars (other than closed loop driveability stuff) is WOT air/fuel. Tuners can pretty much get timing close on one spin but air/fuel is a lot tougher.

Using a MAFterburner with a chip (even a cookie cutter one), you yourself can get the perfect air/fuel curve with some time spent on the dyno using a wideband.

MJ

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
You are correct sir. The hardest thing to nail in a chip tune on these cars (other than closed loop driveability stuff) is WOT air/fuel. Tuners can pretty much get timing close on one spin but air/fuel is a lot tougher.

Using a MAFterburner with a chip (even a cookie cutter one), you yourself can get the perfect air/fuel curve with some time spent on the dyno using a wideband.

MJ

I notice you have no chip in your sig... is this true.. with 17psi?

-- Jaret

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
I notice you have no chip in your sig... is this true.. with 17psi?

-- Jaret

Yes, no chip with 17psi, 100hp DRY nitrous shot. I'm using the MAFterburner and the Afterburner-eFPC along with a set of SD 55lb/hr injectors. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing it this way however. I'm leaving a good 50-60lb/hr of torque on the table by running base timing curve. This works out in my specific case with the nitrous. The driveability is very good except for deceleration where I get lean popping. I'm working on tuning this out as we speak and may need to add a feature to the MB to detect lugging and adjust air/fuel differently under that specific condition.

In case it's not clear, I recommend using a 4-bank chip to get your air/fuel close and benefit from the extra timing down low, turn fans on earlier, adjust for gear changes, etc. and using our products to fine tune things from there. The MB STAGE2 really shines as a nitrous controller though!

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
"except for deceleration where I get lean popping" ... is this what causes the popping I hear?

-- Jaret

Could be. I already have a way of fixing this with the MB but I'm testing it on my car right now.

MJ

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
So what would you recommend for me at the moment... mods are in the sig... the 2.76 just showed up from AR... now I need a belt and what else :)

-- Jaret

Gotta love the fact that your sig is dropped if you've already used it in the same thread...

03 RedFire Cobra Coupe
398.5 RWHP
375.7 RWTQ
12.9 @ 111 (so far!)
Amazon Racing CAI w/Heat Shield
Stock pipes - Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers
20% Tint Sides, 5% Tint Back Three
Postban Blankie Mod
Custom "Ram Air" ducting
Hard-Wired Valentine One
SilverStar Lights/Fogs
Zaino all the way

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
First, get a chip and 3rd idler and take the car to the dyno. If the tune is good, you're all done. If you want to tweak the air/fuel further, a MAFterburner would work for you. The beauty here is if you make further intake, exhaust mods and your air/fuel need further fine tuning, you should be able to do it yourself. Now if you add a lot more boost then you will probably need other stuff.

MJ

So what would you recommend for me at the moment... mods are in the sig... the 2.76 just showed up from AR... now I need a belt and what else :)

-- Jaret

Gotta love the fact that your sig is dropped if you've already used it in the same thread...

03 RedFire Cobra Coupe
398.5 RWHP
375.7 RWTQ
12.9 @ 111 (so far!)
Amazon Racing CAI w/Heat Shield
Stock pipes - Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers
20% Tint Sides, 5% Tint Back Three
Postban Blankie Mod
Custom "Ram Air" ducting
Hard-Wired Valentine One
SilverStar Lights/Fogs
Zaino all the way

bunk22

Established Member
I love the Afterburner eFPC. Very easy to use and works like a charm. I'm a little behind others with the same mods using a chip or Predator in terms of overall torque but I'm content. I'll definitely use it when I eventually go with a dyno-tuned chip, in a year or so.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
First, get a chip and 3rd idler and take the car to the dyno. If the tune is good, you're all done. If you want to tweak the air/fuel further, a MAFterburner would work for you. The beauty here is if you make further intake, exhaust mods and your air/fuel need further fine tuning, you should be able to do it yourself. Now if you add a lot more boost then you will probably need other stuff.

MJ

Chip or Predator?

-- Jaret

Users who are viewing this thread