What's the point of marriage?

Zemedici

Established Member
Everybody does, and should have the walk away option. Nobody should be doomed to live a miserable, or abusive existence because of one choice.

100%. Even after marriage, divorce is an option. However, my father taught me 2 things cause divorce : infidelity and death. Everything else can be worked out.

That is ASSUMING your partner understands what it means 'to be married'.

Til death.

Do us part.

It is a lifetime pact. No getting out because it gets tough. My old lady is with me through thick and thin. She would run into a burning building with me if I asked her to, and vice versa. I've got her back til the day she dies. Same with me.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I was young...I thought I knew it all.
Most do, I was guilty of it too in a few areas.

I'm not married yet, because I look at things from a long term, logistics approach. If you can't see yourself happy with someone in 5-10 years, then that may be the first sign that you're with the wrong person.

See far too many who made the wrong choice and miserable as a result. Miserable is the wrong term actually, as some are happy, but you can see they aren't fulfilled. Now a large portion may be a lack of communication, hard to say when you're looking from the outside.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
100%. Even after marriage, divorce is an option. However, my father taught me 2 things cause divorce : infidelity and death. Everything else can be worked out.

That is ASSUMING your partner understands what it means 'to be married'.

Til death.

Do us part.

It is a lifetime pact. No getting out because it gets tough. My old lady is with me through thick and thin. She would run into a burning building with me if I asked her to, and vice versa. I've got her back til the day she dies. Same with me.
Money is the #1 reason if I recall correctly.

Still boils down to communication and knowing where both stand.

Zemedici

Established Member
Money is the #1 reason if I recall correctly.

Still boils down to communication and knowing where both stand.

Completely understand. My money is my money, and her money is hers. Of course if something were to arise where she had the option to stay at home (like @earico 's situation) , but the shiny new cars would be MINE. She aint gonna sit at home and spend all my money. hahaha we dont have joint accounts, etc.

Alimony is forever, manslaughter is 5 years

see? and that's if you get caught.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Completely understand. My money is my money, and her money is hers. Of course if something were to arise where she had the option to stay at home (like @earico 's situation) , but the shiny new cars would be MINE. She aint gonna sit at home and spend all my money. hahaha we dont have joint accounts, etc.

see? and that's if you get caught.
I've always been a fan of if you're married, you each have an account, and then a joint pot (not that type of pot) for bills you each contribute. What's left is yours to do as you like. Clears any confusion on who has what in a joint account.

Bezos has enough money to outsource an "accident".

Coiled03

Established Member
Or counter point, don't make poor decisions, especially when it comes to a partner.

Does anybody ever get married thinking they chose the wrong person? Maybe they get married for bad reasons (pregnancy, finances, etc.). But somewhere inside, they think they can work it out with the person they're marrying.

You make the best decision you can with the information you have available. Or are you naive enough to believe people never change?

tistan

Established Member
After my first marriage ended, and I came out fairly good for a man, I decided I would never get married again. My current wife was on a h1 visa and could not move without getting green card. So we did a prenup, and got married. If it doesn't work this time, I am out in a couple of months instead of things dragging a couple of years. Moral of the story, in this day and age, get a prenup for your own protection. I unnecessarily lost two years of my life because that bitch wanted to drag shit out.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Does anybody ever get married thinking they chose the wrong person? Maybe they get married for bad reasons (pregnancy, finances, etc.). But somewhere inside, they think they can work it out with the person they're marrying.

You make the best decision you can with the information you have available. Or are you naive enough to believe people never change?
Plenty ignore red flags or convince themselves the other will change after marriage. No shortage of bad decisions, such as don't knock someone up.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

It simply boils down to caring about someone more than yourself. If both sides do that the marriage is pure bliss. I make an effort everyday to make her happy and she does the same for me. It's honestly that ****ing simple. Trust and other important virtues develop as a byproduct of my 1st sentence.

My wife's wine budget is a car payment for most people but IDC. Yeah she doesn't work a real job but she cooks me hot breakfast, makes my lunch, cooks me dinner, pays all the bills, runs all the family day to day and is a rockstar in the sack. She makes sure she does her part in any way she can. I make the money and manage the business account. She just sends me a spreadsheet bi-weekly and I cut checks that go into our joint account. We have a rule that anything we want to buy over $500 we just need to discuss with the other half. This is what we found that works for us. What works for another couple will likely be different. It takes trial and error and a ton of patience to get there.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Just celebrated our first year of marriage last night. For us it wasn’t about religion as neither of us really have any beliefs on that front.

I think it was mostly don’t out of respect to our parents beliefs be it religious or cultural. Personally I just view it as a form of my total commitment to one person (obviously this can be done with out marriage or a ring) but I was comfortable with it and our families had the disposable income for us to have a big wedding for our friends and family to partake in and enjoy.

As far as fiscal benefit, I’m likely in the odd boat where even though I’m the sole provider now that my wife stays home to care for our child, long term I’ll benefit. I make very good money and we have a house and some cars we’ve bought together but ultimately her mother has big money and has set my wife up for a very secure future. Oddly it really helps take any long term fiscal stress off of us and hopefully my career keeps accelerating as it has in the past couple years so we can build to do the same for our son and next child we plan to have.

Perhaps, but, statistically, it's your child that will benefit long term.

To those who do not want to marry:

Do not cohabitate. Do not have her receive mail at your residence. Do not attach your name or hers to any accounts of any kind. Due to "common law marriage" and community property states, you might as well get married legally. The result might just be the same if you separate.

There is nothing wrong with "dating" someone for the rest of your life, provided the other person is aware of and agrees to the "relationship".

I think the divorce rate is high due to people rushing into marriage for financial reasons and the ease and availability to divorce. Marriage isn't taken seriously, so no work is put into it and people just cut and run.

Finding the right woman takes time and effort. Those that put in the work find the right woman and are happy in their marriage.

Zemedici

Established Member
It simply boils down to caring about someone more than yourself. If both sides do that the marriage is pure bliss. I make an effort everyday to make her happy and she does the same for me. It's honestly that ****ing simple. Trust and other important virtues develop as a byproduct of my 1st sentence.

My wife's wine budget is a car payment for most people but IDC. Yeah she doesn't work a real job but she cooks me hot breakfast, makes my lunch, cooks me dinner, pays all the bills, runs all the family day to day and is a rockstar in the sack. She makes sure she does her part in any way she can. I make the money and manage the business account. She just sends me a spreadsheet bi-weekly and I cut checks that go into our joint account. We have a rule that anything we want to buy over $500 we just need to discuss with the other half. This is what we found that works for us. What works for another couple will likely be different. It takes trial and error and a ton of patience to get there.

yes but a mom is a full time job. I would be cool with that 100% broham.

And likewise. It took YEARS for Tanya to understand not to fight WITH me (I dont cause fights, long as the rent's paid and there's clothes to wear, the rest is NOT worth fighting about. I've never cheated on a girl i've been with, etc)

Its us vs the world. Team Josh and Tanya. She understands that now, and we live for each other every day. Relationships need 150% from both parties, or they will fail. 50% from one will fail. Both parties need to be in 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread