What's the origin of the black roof?

OaktownACE

Established Member
I think it will look pretty cool on the cars, especially if its matte, but what is the origin of it? I've seen carbon fiber roofs before, tinted glass roofs, but I haven't seen a lot of plain painted black roofs. Is it purely aesthetic or did it have a purpose at one time?

Thanks, I was just curious.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Jokes aside though, great question. I'd imagine it was to dull the shin of roofs (when matte) for race days so the cars were easier to see. A visibility deal for spectators/people in the stands-off the track basically.

Just a guess.

krt22

Established Member
Its actually an aerodynamic enhancement for light colored cars. The additional heat capacity of the roof creates a temperature delta within the boundary layer around the car, such that the air temp is cooler over the hood then hotter over the roof. This increase in temperature over the roof increases surface velocities and thus reduces the perceived coefficient of drag.

In reality, it looks cool. :D

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Its actually an aerodynamic enhancement for light colored cars. The additional heat capacity of the roof creates a temperature delta within the boundary layer around the car, such that the air temp is cooler over the hood then hotter over the roof. This increase in temperature over the roof increases surface velocities and thus reduces the perceived coefficient of drag.

In reality, it looks cool. :D

That makes perfect sense because black has the strongest dissipative properties of any shade/color.

Many cooling systems/radiators/etc are done in black for this same reason of dissipation.

I did my cold side, intercooler, etc in black.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wow. :rollseyes

Roll you're eyes bro. There's science and then there's everything else from opinions to guesstimates.

Fact. A black coated intercooler is about 30-40% more efficient than a raw aluminum unit.

Fact. Most radiators are black to dissipate heat.

On a side note, I got that the black roof vortex was a joke.

krt22

Established Member
I will try to replicate my hypothesis via CFD modeling, but for now, it is purely experience based speculation. I will need to get the exact paint code however get the proper emisivity values into the model

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
On your side note, I got that you thought the "perceived coeffecient of drag" theory "makes perfect sense." Sorry i thought you were serious. My bad.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The 2012 BOSS 302's had either black, white or red roofs on the LS cars. Not sure of any history before that other than some of the 1969 BOSS 302 race car's which had a white roof.

6788v.jpg

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
On your side note, I got that you thought the "perceived coeffecient of drag" theory "makes perfect sense." Sorry i thought you were serious. My bad.

That's nice that you are on my nuts over insignificant shit on the Internet.

I may pussy foot those responses but I can gladly tell you to **** off. Is that clear enough for ya bud?

hognutz

Established Member
The technical genesis of the black roof on a car is the simple phrase "once you go black you never go back" a car executive lost a wife this way and though it would be a go way to up car sales.

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
I was told that i couldnt get black on black on my 2016 gt 350.. Is that true?

Not sure if srs. Of course you can't get black on black. Only the R's allow it because the stripes are matte vs the glossy base.

Users who are viewing this thread