What's the next step up from Nitto Invo's at 680whp?

sono

Established Member
I know this is a tired question, but my recent KB Trinity upgrade has made my 315 Invo's pretty much useles and it's time for tires.
12k a year DD. I want second to hook! Nt05? are they ok for a DD or noisy as hell?

At 540 whp the Invos were perfect, but at 680whp they cant hold second at all, even under careful throttle.
I'd even go to a 305 cooper if I thought it would hook better, so I'm not so stuck on size. Obviously I cant due a dedicated drag tire and I have no illusions about 1st gear.

Any first hand Knowledge would be appreciated.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Just replaced NT05Rs with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I prefer the Michelins on the street and they do grip. The Nittos were good on warm, dry days and not noisy, but I would not put them on a daily driver.

Last edited:

sono

Established Member
Thanks for the input. The super sports are on my short list.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
315/30ZR20 Toyo R888's.

Best traction your ever going to get without going to a Drag radial.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, you definitely want to look into nitto 555Rs. The best compromise for traction, durability and daily driving on a drag radial.

Not sure how the guy above mentioned how he "upgraded from NT05Rs to MPSS". The MPSS is a better every day / handling tire but it doesnt hold a candle to the NT05R in the straight line traction department.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you can stomach the price tag, the super sports are the best "normal" tire there is for a daily driver high hp car. I've researched this to death. R888's are better, but you won't get near the mileage, not to mention the wet traction will not be there. Drag radials will get you better traction still and possibly a little better wet traction depending on the model, also mileage will possibly be better depending on the model, but there will be a pretty serious price to pay in the handling department.

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
I just swapped on a new set of wheels and tires for daily driving and I went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I ended up with a 295/35-19 on the rears. I just had my car on the dyno at 667 RWHP and I got to say these tires are impressive!! They are pretty spendy but for a non drag radial tire I don't know if you will find a better tire.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, you definitely want to look into nitto 555Rs. The best compromise for traction, durability and daily driving on a drag radial.

Not sure how the guy above mentioned how he "upgraded from NT05Rs to MPSS". The MPSS is a better every day / handling tire but it doesnt hold a candle to the NT05R in the straight line traction department.

Maybe "replaced" would have been a better choice of words, but at street pressures, the MPSSs have the same grip in a straight line if not better than the NT05Rs on my car. When I lower the pressure, obviously the Nittos hook better.

Kenneth

Established Member
Been running Nitto 555R's on my car for the last 4 years.
drive roughly 13K a year, year round in all weather.

Usually last about 9-10 months a set normal driving.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
How long do you guys think MPSS would last real world on our cars? Im just getting tired of spinning the rears when I press the fun pedal all the way down on a launch.

billabong333

Established Member
I have an 11 with currently 540 rwhp and Invos and liked them a lot better than stock goodyears. I could still easily spin the invos in first though. I just put on 555s and its a night and day difference over the invos. I wish I have put them on from the start instead of the invos. The 555s are a great tire. Ive never tried the pilots though.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Maybe "replaced" would have been a better choice of words, but at street pressures, the MPSSs have the same grip in a straight line if not better than the NT05Rs on my car. When I lower the pressure, obviously the Nittos hook better.

There is No way a summer performance tire like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have the same grip in a straight line as a Drag radial like the NT05R's, unless the surface is wet.

I have put 30K miles on my GT500 running mostly MPSS's, but I have also tried Drag radials (555r's and MT ET street radial II's) along with my current Toyo R888's. Even the R888's are a step up in dry traction from the MPSS's.

The MPSS's are the best all around street tire in my opinion, but they are no match for Drag radial straight line dry traction.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
There is No way a summer performance tire like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have the same grip in a straight line as a Drag radial like the NT05R's, unless the surface is wet.

I am not trying to mislead anyone or overstate the performance of MPSS tires. At 32psi on the street in dry conditions, my MPSS 295/35R19s grip better than my NT05R 285/40R18 tires did. First gear is still a write off with either tire... I am gauging traction by how much wheel spin I do or don't get in second gear. I could still haze the Nittos at WOT from 3500 rpm to redline. I have experienced full traction in second gear multiple times with the Michelins. I drove my car on the street/strip for the last 3 years on NT05Rs, so I am very aware of their abilities.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm at your whp level and used the 555r’s in summer for years, awesome straight line traction. Unless it's a heavy down pour or the tires are worn they feel fine in rain. Only thing I didn't like is coming on the entrance ramp on the highway, turns and these tires don't mix well. It will get loose in the back end if your not careful, this year I started using the kuhmo ecsta xs. Similar straight line traction plus way better in the wet and turns. Haven't even put the 555r’s back on I like them so much. The few months it's cold here I run the dws. Imo, the best all season without breaking the bank but obviously you won't be winning any races on them. After 4 years owning this car I've come to the conclusion to have the best of both worlds, you need two sets of tires.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
In my opinion anything over 600hp is better off on a drag radial...it's just a grippier and safer tire to accelerate on Over a standard radial.

NITTO --------
555R's for a Daily
NT05R's for a daily that never sees a down pour (this is what I run) I have driven in snow showers and heavy down pour with them thought...gotta love the north east and our crazy weather

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member

OMG I went from mpss to the nt05r's. Night and day and I will not go with the mpss again for traction on my car at least. I was blowing the mpss off in second at any speed and it sucked. Better than the goodyears though.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... Im just getting tired of spinning the rears when I press the fun pedal all the way down on a launch.

There's no tire on the market that's going to withstand that on these cars (especially a modded one) other than a full on drag slick on nothing other than a prepped surface.

SirShaun

Established Member
My Hoosier 325/50/15 DRs hold 686whp in first.

I've only launched on them once, it was on the street at 3500RPM. 30PSI and I didn't air them down or heat them up before hand. It spun but it was recovering with pedal all the way down had I waited long enough.

Oddly enough doing BMR Rear Suspension with Viking Double adjustables, gave me confidence in the stock crap years lol.

I say throw some suspension on it, then find your tire of choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread