What's the general opinion of the SVT Focus?

5point0guy

Established Member
I'm looking for a daily driver to replace my '91 Mustang and I started looking at the SVT Foci. I like the fact that it's a hatchback, has a 6-speed, looks pretty good, gets good gas mileage, and has a little pep in it. So I'm asking you guys, what do you think of these cars? What's the good and bad about them? Any info is appreciated. Of course owners answers are appreciated, too. Thanks.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I have been thinking of getting one for awhile... I like em a lot. Good MPG, 2 and 4 door, decently quick for what it is.

5point0guy

Established Member
+1 for a driver I would love to have one. They handle awesome too.

I've also heard they handle very well. I never really thought of the SVT Focus until a few days ago, now I'm really looking into them. I was looking on AutoTrader and there's a lot going for $6,000 - $7,000 with less than 60k miles on them. I was surprised.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
they handle like they are on rails.. absolutely unbelievable...

gas mileage is not as good as you would expect.. but good little car..

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
transmission issues awhile back. the ppl making their flywheels either broke contract or went out of business so they are very hard to get. its put many projects on hold for years.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
transmission issues awhile back. the ppl making their flywheels either broke contract or went out of business so they are very hard to get. its put many projects on hold for years.

mjcanzano

i purchased my 04 about a month ago. looks great, drives great, good gas mileage, and fun to drive. for the money you can't beat it. i paid 8500 and it had 41k.

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have had my '02 Sonic Blue SVTF since '04. It's my DD commuter (I also have an Explorer). I love it, great price (got it for $9K in '04), awesome handling, decent power at high RPMs. Some people have had problems, I've only had a few minor ones, nothing too bad or expensive. Wish I had gone with a Euro 4-door (I have a kid now), but eh, whatevs. Mine has a few more years left on it and I can't figure out what I would replace it with. Hopefully we'll get the RS on this side o' the pond. Otherwise I'd be switchin' over to an STi!

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
There is a reason I have owned 7 Foci over the years, including 3 SVT's.

Very nice car for the money, handles extremely well.

I do wish it came with a bit more power stock, but the superchargers I strapped on them helped alot :)

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Great little cars, Handling is spectacular, brakes are bigger than the ones used on a 2004 or earlier Mustang GT in a car that weighs 1000 pounds less.

Very good fit and finish, they have their quirks but then show me a car that doesn't.

The clutch issue was with the pressure plate, not the flywheel and theres no issues getting replacement parts for the clutch or flywheel.

I drive mine year round in Minnesota and it's now got close to 95k on it and still with the original clutch and I've had no major issues with the car at all.

Just minor stuff and maintainance.

Average fuel mileage for me has been around 27 mpg and the best I ever recorded was 31 mpg but I've seen people report better than that.

Just find the cleanest one you can and go for it, even if theres some stuff you need to fix up it's no big deal as most fixes are fairly simple.

DO watch the timing belt replacement, the SVT is an interference engine so if the belt goes the valves and pistons get up close and personal.

The belt should be changed no later then 100k in my experience and maybe sooner.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
just bought mine a few months ago and i absolutely love it! great gas mileage, sporty, fun to drive, and handles like a beast! great daily driver :thumbsup:

flaviosvt04

Whippled
Established Member
Used to have one...great car , Handles extreme good , good gas mileage for sure the better svt for the money.
I sold my with 35k miles (had Jackson racing, nitros and all bolt on ) never had any problems.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Guess I am alone. I hate this car. Whatever you do don't get one. Braking is marginal and almost non existant in the wet, handling isn't that great. My wifes old zx3 handled nearly the same. Problem after problem. So slow it can barely get out of its own way. Fuel mileage isn't very good either.

Users who are viewing this thread