Whats the favorite 18" Wheel drag tire these days?

Willie

Established Member
Willie, my car was tuned for this size, but I'm going down from the previous 345s I had on it. I don't need the extra weight and clearance issues the 345s had.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Good deal. The 315's, although a little tight, work well. My wheels are 18 x 10.

Willie
Nitto NT05R Test Fit 001.jpg

builttodrive

Established Member
Been using this size (NT05R) exclusively since 2018. These keep me from going sideways with ~950 rwhp.

If this is a new size for your car, adjust your Tire Revolutions per Mile to 758 in your tune.
Do you use this tire one the track at all? How is it?

Willie

Established Member
Do you use this tire one the track at all? How is it?
Wrong person to ask. The local NHRA track, Tucson Dragway often seen on Roadkill, is only 10 minutes from my house BUT they will not allow my car to run. They say I need a minimum 6-point roll cage, 5-point safety harness, and an NHRA license. They seem to think my car will run 9's, which is actually Kenne Bell's thinking too. I will not make any permanent changes to my car.

Willie

builttodrive

Established Member
Wrong person to ask. The local NHRA track, Tucson Dragway often seen on Roadkill, is only 10 minutes from my house BUT they will not allow my car to run. They say I need a minimum 6-point roll cage, 5-point safety harness, and an NHRA license. They seem to think my car will run 9's, which is actually Kenne Bell's thinking too. I will not make any permanent changes to my car.

Willie
Gotcha...A relative of mine used to manage that track from my understanding. No idea if he still does. I'm glad I'd get at least one crack at it before my local track would give me the boot.

Willie

Established Member
Gotcha...A relative of mine used to manage that track from my understanding. No idea if he still does. I'm glad I'd get at least one crack at it before my local track would give me the boot.
Well, I was hoping for one crack too, but didn't work out that way. My last pass was a few years prior to my current setup with a 2.3L TVS at 19-psig boost. Ran high 10s at 130 mph, trapping at redline in third gear (tall tires and 3.31's). Then I changed my setup to include the 4.2 LC with a few other goodies, took my car to the track and went thru tech. No tamales for me....

Willie

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Also just for reference, the baddest of the bad is the 315/50/17 MT ETR.
Still my new ‘22 GT500 will get Nitto R2s because you can’t beat Nitto street manners. MT is only a marginal street tire.
You mentioned track use and in that case, don’t try the drag radial unless you absolutely have to (or did an auto swap).
The bias ply on the track with a stick GT500 is the way to go.
-J

builttodrive

Established Member
Also just for reference, the baddest of the bad is the 315/50/17 MT ETR.
Still my new ‘22 GT500 will get Nitto R2s because you can’t beat Nitto street manners. MT is only a marginal street tire.
You mentioned track use and in that case, don’t try the drag radial unless you absolutely have to (or did an auto swap).
The bias ply on the track with a stick GT500 is the way to go.
-J
J, yes this will be primarily a drag only tire, I have a set for street use I will use normally. The problem I'm having is finding anything for an 18" wheel with a 27-28" diameter. Drag radials and particularly Nitto are about my best options. Everyone either makes a 26" or a 30" tire, nothing inbetween.

Greg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Couple 18” bias ply now exist and would help you much more at the track than the DR:

Hoosier:

M&H:

But yes the strip>street MT ET R is 27 or 29” in 18s:

If you have other street tires and stick with 18” for the strip I’d still recommend the bias plys.
-J

builttodrive

Established Member
Couple 18” bias ply now exist and would help you much more at the track than the DR:

Hoosier:

M&H:

If you have other street tires and stick with 18” for the strip I’d still recommend the bias plys.
-J
Thanks! How tall of a tire is the average person running? On some of these they state max recommended wheel width is 10" can I run them on an 11" or no go?

builttodrive

Established Member

Hoosier:

M&H:

-J
would this be a good option? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-18830dbr

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I've been on the NT555rII for about a year and love them. My car is street only and probably 650whp. Even in wet weather they have been excellent driving 65 on the highway. Once these are spent I'm on for another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread