What's the deal with Red Line Oil?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It seems that the boutique oil crowd divides itself into two camps, Amsoil and Royal Purple (is it still boutique if I can buy it from Wal-Mart?). However, you rarely hear about guys using Red Line Oil (except for GT500 guys buying 5w50 and some MT-82 owners). Any reason why more people don't use their more mainstream viscosities?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It surely isn't due to the lack of quality. Red Line formulates good product. I'd choose it over Royal Purple any day of the week actually.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im really not sure why people run royal purple...my magnum trans shifted noticeably worse with their ATF, going back to Mobil 1.

seems like red line oil just doesnt get pushed/advertised enough, I forget it exists

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just updated the UOA list with a Red Line 5W-20 sample today. Looked excellent too.

Virgin viscosity from Red Line = 9.0 cSt @ 100*C.

Viscosity as tested after 3300 miles of use = 9.0 cSt @ 100*C.

The base oil is bullet proof and the only limitation is the additive package. TBN (detergent additives) were still very strong @ 5.9 TBN when tested. The lubricant was wasted when it was changed.

Im really not sure why people run royal purple...my magnum trans shifted noticeably worse with their ATF, going back to Mobil 1.

seems like red line oil just doesnt get pushed/advertised enough, I forget it exists

Use this, and never look back. Trust me, you will fall in love with this stuff.

Amsoil Signature ATF

anyone know how it stack up to a signature series 5w30 vs "

The test would fall like this....

Shearing stability test, Red Line would win, but not by a large margin.

NOACK Testing (evaporation) would be real close between both lubricants.

Additive package duration, Amsoil Signature would win by a good margin.

Red Line is my go to lubricant if Amsoil didn't exist.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Just updated the UOA list with a Red Line 5W-20 sample today. Looked excellent too.

Virgin viscosity from Red Line = 9.0 cSt @ 100*C.

Viscosity as tested after 3300 miles of use = 9.0 cSt @ 100*C.

The base oil is bullet proof and the only limitation is the additive package. TBN (detergent additives) were still very strong @ 5.9 TBN when tested. The lubricant was wasted when it was changed.

Use this, and never look back. Trust me, you will fall in love with this stuff.

Amsoil Signature ATF

The test would fall like this....

Shearing stability test, Red Line would win, but not by a large margin.

NOACK Testing (evaporation) would be real close between both lubricants.

Additive package duration, Amsoil Signature would win by a good margin.

Red Line is my go to lubricant if Amsoil didn't exist.

thanks UB, so based on this info, using redline 5w30 what would you recommed the OCI be? street/track moderate to heavy service

4a7191a

Established Member
My mitsu uses the light shock proof in the trans with the mtd90 reline. Shifts like butter even at 9k rpms.
Did a mix with the heavy shock stuff in the rear of it and the mustang. Will be doing the lightning this weekend hopefully.

EB85

Established Member
I used to run Red Line in my Subaru because it handles fuel dilution well and flat motors do exactly that. But changing it every 3k-4500 miles got expensive. I'm sure I could run it longer but I grew up thinking 3500 was the limit and still kinda follow that mentality. I just do it with much cheaper T6 now.

Red Line oil is the very finest oil made. Cost a tad more than other synthetic oil's because it's worth it. I use 5W-30 in every thing from lawn mower to my diesel tractor. In my 2013 Boss 302's, I use 5W-50.

SixPak

Established Member
Just finding Redline can be a challange, forget about the price. I found a distributor here in Dallas and pick the stuff up in 5 gallon pails. But finding it in quart bottles on the shelf is near impossible it seems.

herbie216

Established Member
Just finding Redline can be a challange, forget about the price. I found a distributor here in Dallas and pick the stuff up in 5 gallon pails. But finding it in quart bottles on the shelf is near impossible it seems.

I buy mine online

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I gave up on buying oil off the shelf anywhere a long time back.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
How long is the shelf life of oil? I have 10 yr old 1 or 2 quarts 5w30 red line and was curious if I could use it in my FiST which recommends 5w 20?

How does Motul compare with Amsoil and Red Line?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Lubricant shelf life is 20+ years after reading testing from Blackstone Labs.

Motul 300V is their flagship lineup, and what would compare to Amsoil's Signature Series and Red Line.

Users who are viewing this thread