Whats The best tire for DR?

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
Its getting to be tire time for the Cobra. I have a '98 with bridgestone potenza's that are all through. I got stock rims and Im going to 4.10's soon.
The car is really starting to come alive and I need to put the power to the ground. What hp, gears, and et's are you guys getting and with what tires? Im looking for the magical setup.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
i have a 97 as well with 4.10s and initially put in an order for MT et street radials. I heard good things about them but they are on national back order. I went with the BFG T/a KDW instead 275/40/17. I heard they hook up better than MTs but dont last as long when stored. I will let you know how it does when i take it to the track this friday

silvercoffin

Established Member

running 470hp to the wheel 463tq

275 40 17 Mickeythompson Drag Radials running 1.69 - 1.7460fts and still bogging!

I also have a set of BFG DRS on another set of rims...they are not as good and seem to wear out faster..

I also ran through a set of Nitto DRs and while they last the longest on the street, they dont hook nearly as well as the BFGs or MTs

I'll probably run slicks next since I bought a trailer

JVENOM

Established Member
i heard nitto's are good....but for the street. Personally me i would get the MT Street(micky thompsons)

nastygt

Officially Crazy
Established Member
Yeah I'd go with the MT's to my bro has BFG's on his car and he said if he could do it all over again he would get the MT's. I also think I heard on a different site they tested the MT's with slicks in a magizine.

Matt95L

Established Member
I just bought my second set of BFGs very pleased with them.The first set lasted 11k miles and improved 60' times about .25 seconds.

Last edited:

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
Nittos seem to work well on automatic cars and are the best DR in the rain and last the longest. BFGs seem to be bout second best as far as stickiness but the worst in rain and seem to be worst as far as treadlife. The Mickeys aren't as good as the Nittos in the rain but there not scary like the BFGs, they seem to last longer then the BFGs and man they friggin hook. I'm talkin pull the left front on the STREET hook. There awesome dude; ever bit as good as an ET Street.

gene116

Got the MT ET Streets 275 60x15 on 8" rims, give consistant 1.57 60' times, hook good but I've heard they wear quickly.

TEAM1320COBRA

Established Member
Im running 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson E/T street radials and they hook really good on the street but I can only pull 1.81 60ft off the track with 15 psi. And they wear down really quick.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmm

Well I guess compared to nittos mine where down faster. But compared to BFG DRs they last longer. I have been making my burnouts shorter and shorter too....they are so sticky that they barely need a burnout. When they were new they didn't launch as well, but I have been surprised how slow they are wearing...compard to BFGs and NIttos at the track.

I only use mine at the track though. I have had a trailer since I put them on.

With my current power 470hp I went from 1.89 to 1.66 60ft times with them. with 15psi and my adjustable shocks set nice and stiff at etown

Samsstang

Established Member
Ive been using the BFGs DRs had them for 2YRS! i used them all last summer and all year long. This past summer 05, I only used them when i went racing! They are very worn out :eek: but they hooked better then ever :shrug: Ive had Nittos but i could never get them to hook? and they wore out quick! Ive herd the same about the MT drag radials? next year iam trying out the MT ET streets or Ill go with BFGs again?

04svtsnake

bs stops when green drops
Established Member
i had good luck with bfg dr's on my cobra, i launched it at 2500 rpm because i was scared of breaking my axles and i ran a 12.1 @ 119 with a 1.9 60 ft and i bogged like hell!!!!! the only bad thing about them they wear down to quick!!!

white98snake

Established Member
Well from what i have read in the magizines the mt drag radials hook better then the et streets but i woudl go with a 4.30 gear if ur gonna stay n/a and get the mt's man u will love it

silvercoffin

Established Member

Ahhh well after a controversial first round loss yesterday at etowns Fords at Etown Gear Jammer Bracket I was still pretty happy with launches.

60fts on Mickey Thompson Drag Radials at 15psi cold were:

1.69 11.66
1.68 11.77 car warm
1.67 11.59

the controvial part was I get my car back up on the trailer and someone comes over and says that something blew through the lights and i had to run again. The time slip was all weird and said left lane foul ... I was in the right..but the only thing obviously messed up on it was the other guys 1/4 mile time and speed.. So I go up to the tower and they say that somethign blew through at the end of the track and I red lighted so it didnt matter...I dont think I red lighted...in fact i think the other guy did.. :cuss:

blackfang

Established Member
Snakestress said:
i have a 97 as well with 4.10s and initially put in an order for MT et street radials. I heard good things about them but they are on national back order. I went with the BFG T/a KDW instead 275/40/17. I heard they hook up better than MTs but dont last as long when stored. I will let you know how it does when i take it to the track this friday
Sorry a street tire isn't going to hook better than the M/T ET Street Radial. They are a sticky ass tire. It was a tos up between them and the BFg DR as I sold about the same in both, with Nitto taking a back seat. I like my BFG's but i am going to try the M/T's

Users who are viewing this thread