What's the best cams for 03 terminator

mach1033

Established Member
If your running the stock blower then it would be easier to do a blower upgrade. You will make more power with that then any cam swap. But if you are dead set on cams then I would opt for a custom set to meet your goals. GT cams are a nice upgrade as well. Comp cams make stage one through three. Getting your heads ported to match your cams would yield the best results.

03.cobra-svt.03

Established Member
I was just asking everyone's opinion I didn't know if it was worth it but if its not I'm not going to change it I saw someone selling at set of gt's

mach1033

Established Member
The issue is the fact that its labor intensive. GT cams will get you 25 hp for all that work and money. The only reason why I did it was because I needed a rebuild so I said what the hell. Otherwise it would not have been worth it. Plus I had my heads ported.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Thanks guys I like my sound and its just a pullied eaton

For your situation it would most likely be a waste of time and money to get a small gain, like mach1033 said. Go twin screw and really feel a difference that's worth it. I'm gonna run custom cams and ported heads but my motor is not anything close to stock.

racebronco2

Established Member
Cams really dont do squat until you exceed 800+rwhp.
If you are after the sound, then by all means do it.

Not true. I have 97 cobra cams and they do make a difference.

I hear they get a few more ponies compared to stock 03/04 cams. Problem is finding a set in good condition.

The 3 sets that i bought all of them were in good shape. Unless there was an oil issue they really have very little wear.

For your situation it would most likely be a waste of time and money to get a small gain, like mach1033 said. Go twin screw and really feel a difference that's worth it. I'm gonna run custom cams and ported heads but my motor is not anything close to stock.

When i had the eaton the cobra cams raised the hp/tq curve 500rpms. The tq did not drop like a rock at peak hp, it was about 1/2 of what the other cars were with similar hp and set-ups, i only had about a 50tq loss compared to most whom had a 100tq loss. There 100tq loss was mostly because they had to run a lower pulley and i only had an upper pulley.

People say the whipples lose tq but in my case it's just not true. With my whipple set-up at 15 psi, 17psi and 19 psi the tq is higher than the hp.

For 150.00 for some cams to me it's a no brainer.

rudycobra

Established Member
What is degreeing actually mean ? Guess I need do some research lol I thought if installed and was timed right that was it .

racebronco2

Established Member
There is a few degrees of play in the gears. If the timing chains are new the timing events are supposed to be close. I have never checked new chains. Over time the chains stretch causing the valve timing to be off as much as 10 degrees. I have checked at least 6 engines with 60,000 miles on them. If i remember correctly when the primary chains stretch the exhaust cams will be opening later. Since the intakes are ran off the exhaust cams it causes the intakes to open early. The problem arises due to less overlap between the exhaust and intake pulses or the exhaust is starting to closing later and the intakes are starting to opening sooner.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
also going to use sn95 cams in my 03/04 motor
best bang for your buck set out there

but the absoulte best would obvisouly be a set of custom ones.....

Hef

Established Member
Let me ask this....to all, if you were to take the heads off to get reworked, would you throw a set of cams while you're in there?

gtmustang00

Established Member
Todd Warren cams. I think he goes by NA SVT on the forum. Picked up 70rwhp with a bump to 9.2 compression in my 03 cobra with a gen 2 2.9 whipple.

Users who are viewing this thread