What's the Best 351 Windsor Year for a Fox Body?

Novice

Established Member
Well I was at the Pomona Automotive swampmet and came across a Nice 351 block. I ran the number's when I got home and it's from a 1969 Bronco. It's Classified has a c-9 351 Windsor. I know nothing of the matter and wish to ask any of you. The motor is not Machined at all. It's freshly pulled out of some old ass Bronco in need of some love. If any of you have ever put a 351 Windsor into your Fox Body please reply. What year did you go with? Trust me...If I had the money I would just buy a built one from Coast High Performance. But like any one of us...I don't ....so an idea is formed and here I'am researching....Hmmmm....the possibilities.

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
I'm going to say late 60's early 70's would be the best year for the 351.

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
69-74 are the best blocks to handle the power due to highre nickel content and such...
Sounds liek a winner if the block isn;t shot to hell
That said, there is NOTHING cheap about dumping a 351 in a fox... Better plan a good 5k to get it done! And hat is doing it very cheaply... in reality, a decent power 351 is going to be close to 10k or more..

courterman05

Established Member
you have to remember that the 69 blocks are a slightly shorter deck height than the later blocks, i ran into that problem with my stroker and ended up having to use a 74 block which is a true 9.5"

with my probe industries stroker kit they were going to have me send the rotating assembly back to them to have them machine .003 off the tops of the pistons so i could use the 69 block

Last edited:

Novice

Established Member
I just want to do a rebuild on my old car. Some shops say a nice 331 stroker will match the power of a 351w. I wouldn't mind going towards a nice super charger on either a 331 (302 based Motor) or 351w. There's a guy in my town who went to a near by junk yard and pulled a 351W and swamped it. It's bad ass and runs completely nice stock. Here is an old insert courtesy of 5.0 Mustang and other fast fords

(© 2009 Mustang Magazine,
Source Interlink Media
All rights reserved. WEB-039)

351 Engine Swap - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Scottyk

Established Member
If your starting from scratch and need to buy a oil pan and headers and stuff anyway its not a whole lot more expensive than a 302 based engine. I put a 408 stroker in a mid-late 70's 351 block, hydralic roller cam, box stock vic Jr heads and intake with a carb and it ran 10.6's on the motor with pump gas and mid 9's on a 200 shot. This was a bunch of used stuff I scrapped up and Im still running it to this day!! except for the block :( and its currently ran a 9.01 and on its way to a 8 second pass.. Depends on the amount of work you want to put into it and what you want to do with it, mine would be a rough daily driver when you have a headache and hungover..

Scottyk

Established Member
but I have heard the 69 and early 70 blocks are much stronger, I split the bottom end out of mine with the 200 shot just about, it was cracked pretty good.. Recomend a girdle to help band aid the situation

Novice

Established Member
but I have heard the 69 and early 70 blocks are much stronger, I split the bottom end out of mine with the 200 shot just about, it was cracked pretty good.. Recomend a girdle to help band aid the situation

I went with a 69 351 Windsor Block. Thanks for the Input fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread