Whats the advantage of buying an X pipe to go with my Magnaflow catback?

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
Title says it all. My Terminator is currently BONE stock!!! I plan to do minor bolt on mods to the car, starting with the Magnaflow catback and POSSIBLY their catted X pipe. Whats the advantage of spending the extra $500 for the catted X pipe from Magnaflow? Is it REALLY gonna make much of a difference with bolt ons such as CAI,pulley and tune?

va boy

Established Member
Not really sure you would feel the difference in power, but, I just paired a Magnaflow catted X with my Magnaflow CB. I really like it. Not as loud as many, but I've had my share of loud Mustangs. I'm a little older now and enjoy the subtle rumble of my Magnaflow system. Still screams on a pull. Others will chime in with opinions.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
it will make somewhat of a difference in power, but most do it for the sound.

moonltgold

Cons : Very little difference in HP, only 2-5 rwhp at the most (at high rpm over 5K) based on my experience with two Cobras, and you will lose a little low-end torque because the engine has less back pressure. The design is OK, but could be modified to be even better (which is what I did by opening downstream legs to 2 7/8"). The best design for an X has been proven to be the siamese-type merge.

Pros : Soundwise, excellent and a marriage made in heaven. Quality is second to none. (To me, it did sound better when I had Mag X/Mag muff combo -- but I have since changed to Bassani muffs for reasons below.)

The Mag muffs are almost as heavy as stock (14 lbs each) - they weigh twice as much as Bassanis and 3x that of SLPs, and when you're looking to save any and all weight, it all counts. So I went with Bassani. And also the Mag muff off-center in/out design creates a torque-moment - and to be safe they should be spot welded or the risk of slipping down can happen. Another reason I went with Bassani as the center in/center out is obviously balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread