What's needed to switch from high hp whipple car to a turbo setup

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
Been playing with the idea of switching to a turbo setup... what would I need and what do I have to get rid of/sell to fund parts for the turbo setup

gt347mustang

Established Member
Sell Whipple. Buy turbo. Pretty simple, should bolt right up.

Maybe try searching, it's been answered hundreds of times.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Budget $10-$12k for the swap to do it correctly. I would not do anything like On3 or that crap.

As far as what you will need. Going turbo there are many many options that can factor in what it will end up costing. PM me and we can go over details. I can help you out with a game plan.

Sell your blower, intake, alternator, pullies, pulley bridge, balancer pulley, heatexchanger, S/C tank, pump and hoses. That will help offset some costs.

I also have a Hellion single kit that is mint for sale and I am in CT :)

Last edited:

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
It would still cost 10-12k even if I have a high hp whipple car already?... my motor and fuel system are good to go

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Well you get to sell your parts off so you will recover some of the cost. But it will still cost money to switch. Turbo kits require tubular suspension and more parts (I.E. waste gate bov boost controller intercooler).

You can either sell it all and go with a 01 Cobra/Mach front cover, alt, intake, crossover or try to use your 03 lower intercooler with a hat though I don't like the later.

You'll then need tubular suspension, convert to blow thru, and a turbo kit assuming everything else is already up to snuff.

I'd budget 5k after selling your parts for a good setup.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
It would still cost 10-12k even if I have a high hp whipple car already?... my motor and fuel system are good to go

I am not taking into account selling your parts. After selling your stuff, yes it will chop the price. I would budget $10k atleast not including what your parts are worth.

With a turbo setup there are so many options, configurations, turbo choices, boost controllers, etc that can really change the cost.

Then if you do not have them, tack on K member, coil overs, and CC plates. Intake, alternator, fabrication if needed, oil cooler relocation etc etc. All said and done. After selling your Whipple and stuff, like Nightmare said, maybe around $5000 or so.

Once you set a goal and come up with a plan it will be easier to get an idea on what it will cost.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
The reason why I ask is because I'm on the fence about going turbo or going with a bigger whipple like a 3.4... what are some benefits of going turbo over a big whipple that you guys have seen, I hear a lot of people have issues after going turbo

MG0h3

Established Member
Turbo cars are more work and money, period. In my opinion, you can max the stock engine out on most aftermarket blowers so unless you are going to build an engine it may not be worth it. If I wasnt happy with a good 2.3 or 2.9, I wouldnt step up to a 3.4, I would go turbo. Im guessing youll see about 50 extra rwhp at the same boost level with a turbo over a blower. Ya, the torque is amazing and it will feel quite a bit quicker.

You just need to decide if the work and money is worth it to you.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
I have a built motor already so that's no issue I'm really just wanting more power and my 2.9 is maxxed out

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The reason why I ask is because I'm on the fence about going turbo or going with a bigger whipple like a 3.4... what are some benefits of going turbo over a big whipple that you guys have seen, I hear a lot of people have issues after going turbo

I have owned, built, driven just about every supercharger combo you can for these cars. My personal preference is still turbo. Although, a big power twin screw car is very fun I will still take the turbo over it.

Nice thing about a turbo car is, its quite a bit easier to get traction with on the street over a big twinscrew making 700-800rwhp/rwtq.

Big twin screws are also putting alot more stress on the engine, the crank snout, especially when you start to pedal the car.

Lower IATs with the turbo. Of course this is much better.

The initial work is a bit more over a supercharged car. But if done right with the correct parts. It will work really well and will be reliable. My turbo setup never let me down. It was the most reliable setup I had on the car and the most fun.

MG0h3

Established Member
I have a built motor already so that's no issue I'm really just wanting more power and my 2.9 is maxxed out

ah ok, wasnt sure where you were at. If thats the case then by all means. Thats when Ill switch to turbo, if I ever do.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
@juiced46 did you ever have the car turbo with the t56? If so how did you like it ?... I like the sound of lower iats and would love to get rid of my intercooler system nothing but problems with the pumps ... also not having to change belts and pullies would be a plus when switching between pump and race fuel

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
@juiced46 did you ever have the car turbo with the t56? If so how did you like it ?... I like the sound of lower iats and would love to get rid of my intercooler system nothing but problems with the pumps ... also not having to change belts and pullies would be a plus when switching between pump and race fuel

Yes, I ran it for a few years with the T56. I loved it, however I really wanted an auto since I track the car as well. I got to a point where I needed to make a decision. Refresh the T56/Clutch every season or every other after tracking it from launching on a 2 step. For the cost of that. It made more sense to go auto. After I went Auto, I had wished I did it sooner. But I may be a little different then most people. I put an SRA in my car less then 6 months after buying it brand new in 2003.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
I would plan on going auto and SRA after I got some more money saved up for sure I'm not opposed to that at all I actually just broke a halfshaft last week haha all good now... just making sure it would be worth it in the meantime

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
u can make alot of the blower stuff. i sold everything and it funded atleast half the turbo stuff. the lower intake intercooler i got $800. 2.9 whipple i sold for 3800. then there is so many little things you can sell that add up. pulley bridge. lower cage, alternator brackets, heat exchanger. intercooler pump. it goes on and on LOL ups workers know me pretty well after that project. : D

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
u can make alot of the blower stuff. i sold everything and it funded atleast half the turbo stuff. the lower intake intercooler i got $800. 2.9 whipple i sold for 3800. then there is so many little things you can sell that add up. pulley bridge. lower cage, alternator brackets, heat exchanger. intercooler pump. it goes on and on LOL ups workers know me pretty well after that project. : D

thats pretty much what i figured... im sure there will be plenty of little things ill need for the turbo setup also that will add up but im sure selling all the s/c things will save me a decent chunk of money to offset it a little bit... my whipple is basically brand new has all of 500 miles maybe on it... im gonna try and go for it next season... still need to do a lot of research on turbos and sizing a/r all that stuff, its gonna be a learning curve for sure

Users who are viewing this thread