What's it worth?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Going to take a look at a 1989 LX 5.0 convertible with 5-speed in 2 nights. The car has 87,000 original miles, never wrecked, and bone stock. It's white with white top, and grey cloth interior. Car is still on it's second owner who bought it back in 1990 from a young lady that couldn't keep up on the payments.

The owners now rarely drive it because of health issues, and are looking to sell. They want it to go to somebody who will appreciate the car and not use it as a daily and tear it up. They have no set price on it, just want a reasonable offer on it.

Realistically, I am thinking 5k-6k. I am in the right ball park, or way off?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
there has been a slight uptick with foxes. I don't think 7k is an outrageous price based on the description. If you ask 5-6k and get it then you will get a good deal on it. Good luck. Sounds like a fun cruiser

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If you get it for 5-6K you will have done well imho. FWIW I have a 92 GT with 87K original miles on it. Valve covers or intake have never been off. 5-spd with the optional 3.08 gears. Wild strawberry titanium. Sunroof car, grey cloth. I'm the third owner actually title says 4th though because I bought it in high school and paid my rents back. I wouldn't let go for less than 10K. That's because clean GT's, and LX's are harder to find. Vert's are more of a nich market. Some of it is sentimental seeing as it was my 1st car lol. I actually just got historical plates this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Looked at the car, and it was very nice. Well taken care of, but it really needed a thorough cleaning and detailing. Has never been wrecked. She was a little much, I think mostly because of sentimental value.

HausCobra

Established Member
Similiar situation I am thinking about a 1991 LX 5.0 5 speed with 60k miles all original everything. Paint and vin tags no accidents. BONE STOCK down to the factory air silencer. 3 owner car with original female owner from 1991-2015 always garaged. Comes with window sticker, all books and manuals and original purchase documents. Would $7k be a good buy. They are asking $8900

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I just track a lot of 87-93 5.0 lx convertibles for sale on eBay since I have an 89, and see a lot of cars go unsold in the 5-10k range. I agree 4-5 is low and is what I would offer as a buyer. As an owner I'm hoping they are closer to 6,000. Once you get up near 10k you are looking at clean notchback prices. I think. Probably depends a lot on part of the country your in and history, transmission etc.

nxhappy

Established Member
in my area a clean fox is 5-6k. A Very clean one is 7-8k. Immaculate would be like 10 grand.

HausCobra

Established Member
Similiar situation I am thinking about a 1991 LX 5.0 5 speed with 60k miles all original everything. Paint and vin tags no accidents. BONE STOCK down to the factory air silencer. 3 owner car with original female owner from 1991-2015 always garaged. Comes with window sticker, all books and manuals and original purchase documents. Would $7k be a good buy. They are asking $8900

He SOLD it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I recently grabbed a "barn find" 92 LX Convertible, completely stock but sat for 5 years untouched. It was in good but VERY dirty and poorly maintained condition. I got what I think was a really good deal but already have almost 2 grand into it just trying to get it cleaned up and get everything working and I don't even have the car back together yet; I'm sure more will pop up. That's still with only a few very minor performance mods (Pro 5.0 shifter, clutch quadrant and H-pipe).

My point here is, these cars are getting old. Little things add up and before you know it, you're replacing things you never anticipated "while you're in there" and compiling your investment QUICKLY. Just because you find a one or two owner car that hasn't been tampered with, doesn't mean it's not going to cost you a lot of time and in many cases money, to get them back to glory. While a $4500-$5500 barn find may sound like a great deal, if you're not ready and willing to put the time and money into it, you're better off looking for the $7000-$10,000 sample that someone else already finished for you.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
In 2014 I paid $7500 for a Wild Strawberry '92 LX 5.0 5 speed vert 58k gray cloth in great condition. I sold it one year later in 2015 for $8000 and it was sold again last year for $9000.

Users who are viewing this thread