What's it gonna take to beat an H/C/I foxbody?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Just as the title states what mods is it going to take to beat an HCI foxbody?
How fast are these cars running? I know they're gonna make over 300rwhp on a good set up, and they are lighter than an sn95 cobra. There's a guy with an 89 fox that has hci and bolt ons, short shifter and who knows what else. My car is a basically stock 97 Cobra with an off road x. I know I can't beat it with just that mod lol.

My future mods are 4.10 gears, JLT cai, and drag radials (nitto 555R's). Possibly a tuner as well. Oh and can't forget the short shifter that I need. I plan to do these mods rapidly. DR's and shifter/cai should arrive next week.

Well this didn't even mod that fox, he just bought it that way, (really hate it when they want to race and talk so much crap and they didn't even build it themselves). He probably doesn't even know the exact mods. Anyways I need to squash to shut him and his friends up.

Will that suffice to take out this fox?

epracmetcon

Established Member
Here's what I would do.

Buy a used nitrous kit for roughly 250-350 bux.

Buy a 255lph fuel pump for 100 bux

Jet it for 125 and and maybe a touch on the rich side.

Hope he has a mild hci combo.

luke87gt

Established Member
You can follow the simple recipe in my sig to get in the ballpark of 300rwhp...

If you want to take him down in the cheapest way possible, a 125 shot of nitrous will do that easily.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You can follow the simple recipe in my sig to get in the ballpark of 300rwhp...

If you want to take him down in the cheapest way possible, a 125 shot of nitrous will do that easily.

The fox is going to be quicker than you think..its a light car. If he has gears as well as a good hci, you don't stand a chance

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Nitrous seems to be the solution but I probably won't really ever use it past this one time and maybe at the track a few times so it's almost lost money.
But I really do hope it's a light HCI combo!

yah the fox is a light car, and with some good hci power it's not gonna be a turd at all. I haven't seen it but have heard it's a pretty nasty hci fox.

Luke87gt: nice thanks for putting that in your sig. Very few mods and you reached 304rwhp and a good torque figure. That seems like the way to go in the future since I plan on staying NA. But I'm not quite sure that's enough to beat the fox right now.

I might add that I am probably a better driver than him, he might not even have DR's nor know how to launch for all I know. And he did just buy this car fully modded recently.

red9450

Established Member
it depends... I've seen some very quick, mildly modded foxes, and some that claim HCI ect... and aren't all that impressive. unless it's a custom cam, aluminum headed HCI car, it prob wont be north of 300...

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Yah I've seen the same thing. My friend has a HCI 95 5.0, doesn't seem to have much top end at all. I'm not sure what's done exactly to this foxbody because the owner doesn't either. I'll have to listen to the cam, see how aggressive it sounds.

There will probably be dig races, if he can't launch too well I might have him.
What would be a sweet spot to race him at a roll? I have to let my top end open up that's for sure.

Quin

Established Member
The mods you're planning, plus a cheap wet kit. Should be fine. If you run from a roll, start north of 3500 RPMs. I used to go from 40 rolls in first with stock gears.

1989Gt.

Banned
I call bs if he's young and he bought it that way, its prob got a e303 cam in it or something. Chances are hes got a gt40 setup which isnt gonna make more then 280whp in most cases. I say race him the way you are if you can drive your car well enough i say you stand a fighting chance. Just dont miss shift. How does the fox look i use to own a 89 with a gt40 setup and my 4v i have now would mop it up, Its just gonna generate a lot better torque than your cobra. And he has a weight advantage by maybe 1-200 pounds... Race him!!!

Tyler72

Established Member
If its a big deal... throw on some spray to ensure you will win. Hide the kit well enough so that he thinks you ate his lunch N/A. That would shut him up. If its just for fun, I say race him as is, I think you have a good chance as I could hang with a few mildly modded fox cars when mine was stock with no real issues. Then even if you loose by a little, tell him big deal, his HCI modded Fox car barely beat you bone stock cobra...

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The mods you're planning, plus a cheap wet kit. Should be fine. If you run from a roll, start north of 3500 RPMs. I used to go from 40 rolls in first with stock gears.

So I'm definitely going to need some nitrous than? I was hoping gears, DRs, shifter, cai and x pipe would suffice as that's damn near or in the high 12's, porbably low 13s. Well yah I know north of 3500k rpms, I know our power curves just wanted to see if anyone knew a certain speed to be in. Holy crap 1st at 40mph??!?!?! That's crazy hahaha.
I call bs if he's young and he bought it that way, its prob got a e303 cam in it or something. Chances are hes got a gt40 setup which isnt gonna make more then 280whp in most cases. I say race him the way you are if you can drive your car well enough i say you stand a fighting chance. Just dont miss shift. How does the fox look i use to own a 89 with a gt40 setup and my 4v i have now would mop it up, Its just gonna generate a lot better torque than your cobra. And he has a weight advantage by maybe 1-200 pounds... Race him!!!
He's around 30ish. I haven't been able to talk to him about it much, the one time I did get to he didn't even sound like knew the mods exactly. I'm hoping it's a GT40 set up since as you are saying that's less than 300rwhp. You also seem to have first hand experience as you've had both cars. Stock shifter so anything can happen, yet I've only missed 3rd twice so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Yah he will have a boat load of torque compared to me down low, but that's what 4.10 gears are for :). Yah he does have a weight advantage :/. You really think I have stand a chance stock? I'm not sure, I don't know too much about the pushrods.
If its a big deal... throw on some spray to ensure you will win. Hide the kit well enough so that he thinks you ate his lunch N/A. That would shut him up. If its just for fun, I say race him as is, I think you have a good chance as I could hang with a few mildly modded fox cars when mine was stock with no real issues. Then even if you loose by a little, tell him big deal, his HCI modded Fox car barely beat you bone stock cobra...

Everyone's conclusion is nitrous. It is kind of a big deal as I see these people every sunday at church haha. I don't mind losing to a well done car, but I hate losing to someone who didn't even mod their car; they just simply went out and bought it and haven't put anything into it and think they are the $&!+. I say +1 on hiding a kit! That's exactly what I was thinking, my car is almost bone stock and if he wins barely it's not much of an accomplishment as his has a lot of work done to it. But these people that are instigating the race are retards; they have no clue about racing. They don't understand the whole power to weight ratio, they won't even give a thought to the fact that that fox has a lot of money into it while mine has nothing into. They are used to their civics and such.

1989Gt.

Banned
So I'm definitely going to need some nitrous than? I was hoping gears, DRs, shifter, cai and x pipe would suffice as that's damn near or in the high 12's, porbably low 13s. Well yah I know north of 3500k rpms, I know our power curves just wanted to see if anyone knew a certain speed to be in. Holy crap 1st at 40mph??!?!?! That's crazy hahaha.

He's around 30ish. I haven't been able to talk to him about it much, the one time I did get to he didn't even sound like knew the mods exactly. I'm hoping it's a GT40 set up since as you are saying that's less than 300rwhp. You also seem to have first hand experience as you've had both cars. Stock shifter so anything can happen, yet I've only missed 3rd twice so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Yah he will have a boat load of torque compared to me down low, but that's what 4.10 gears are for :). Yah he does have a weight advantage :/. You really think I have stand a chance stock? I'm not sure, I don't know too much about the pushrods.

I thinnk for sure if he has the gt40 setup you can take him, Or it would be a good race he honestly prob doesnt have heads im sorry but if he doesnt know jack about his car someone prob con-ed him into buying that car saying it has a full h/c/i swap what intake is on it from what you could see? If he has a trickflow intake he might have matching heads and you prob wont win, if you see a cobra intake then its prob the gt40 setup (not saying this is a for sure thing but its usually a easy way to see) also if he does have aluminum heads they should stick out like a sore thumb in that engine bay look at the heads. No aluminum=WIN for the cobra lol

lafeva

Established Member
Do u know Wut hci the fox has? My service manager has a notch with gt40 heads e cam and a cobra intake mani with 3.90 gears and my Cobra shits on him on any given day. And im at 305/270. On his setup they only trap like @100. In the 1/4. Run that fox from a roll.

1989Gt.

Banned

I thinnk for sure if he has the gt40 setup you can take him, Or it would be a good race he honestly prob doesnt have heads im sorry but if he doesnt know jack about his car someone prob con-ed him into buying that car saying it has a full h/c/i swap what intake is on it from what you could see? If he has a trickflow intake he might have matching heads and you prob wont win, if you see a cobra intake then its prob the gt40 setup (not saying this is a for sure thing but its usually a easy way to see) also if he does have aluminum heads they should stick out like a sore thumb in that engine bay look at the heads. No aluminum=WIN for the cobra lol

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
I say find out what heads he is running, if they arent nice aluminum ones then smoke that piece regardless how nasty it sounds, my 5.0 hci sounds like it would smoke anything but its a big fat turd e303, edelbrock performer intake, and gt40 port&polish, and its a low 14 @97mph, get your gears and ur other basic mods and run him

if he wins, put the jug on your car, and dust his shit talking ass next time

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
1989Gt.: Well than I hope it is the gt40 set up he has. I think even if it's the gt40 set up it will be a good race as we will probably be pushing around the same power but with 4.10's on my car the game changes. But he might also have gears, he doesn't know and I've never seen it take off so idk yet. Eh could be true but idk everyone else is saying it's hci. I haven't seen under his hood yet, and he might not even let me? Ha yah if it's anything trickflow heads/intake combo I realize it's a pretty serious 5.0. If I do get a chance to look under it's hood, as he will probably want to see under mine (he won't know about 4.10s :)) I'll keep an eye out for aluminum heads and the manifold.

lafeva: No I don't know what set up exactly, haven't seen under his hood. oh wow all those mods and you still mopped the floor with him? Nice! What are your mods since you make 305/270? Torque is slacking a bit there.

4.6msutang5.0: Everyone is saying to check for aluminum heads, that's what I'm going to have to do. I'll have to pretend I just want to check out his car. He's super eager to race me, apparently he launched the other day just messing around and the shocks bottomed out and is waiting on some new ones. Really hope he's not actually getting some spray! Oh man and I bet if I was next to a beasty sounding 5.0 like that I probably wouldn't give it a go but you are saying it ain't all that. That's the same as others have said, so I'll most definitely try and get his set up. I agree I'll have to get my mods on asap. A JLT cai will arrive on Friday as well as some DR's. I'm trying to get a date to do the gear install; I sold my GT so I kind of need my car everyday.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
What part of AZ are you in? It's been a while since I was in the street racing scene in Phoenix(got busted so no more for me). If this is a race for fun or pride then I say **** getting nitrous. Run him n/a to see how you stack up. If it is for money then I would strongly consider getting a kit and hiding it. Maybe not spray a 150 shot but a 75, so you can stay just enough ahead of him so he will think that with a few more mods he can take you. Then when he comes back to race you again up the jets to 150 and burn him again.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
What part of AZ are you in? It's been a while since I was in the street racing scene in Phoenix(got busted so no more for me). If this is a race for fun or pride then I say **** getting nitrous. Run him n/a to see how you stack up. If it is for money then I would strongly consider getting a kit and hiding it. Maybe not spray a 150 shot but a 75, so you can stay just enough ahead of him so he will think that with a few more mods he can take you. Then when he comes back to race you again up the jets to 150 and burn him again.

I'm in Chandler, you? Ohhh yah once you get busted or have a near death experience it kind of deters you haha. I don't really street race either, I only race people I know and in good conditions like good road and no traffic. It's not for me but it's for these dudes to quit talking smack with a car they didn't even build. Everyone is saying nitrous well hidden. But yah true I like your method start with a 75shot and up it if necessary.

Hey are you interested in a Cobra cruise? If you look in the "A Taste of Home" section in the southwest region there's a cruise coming up for Cobras/Mustangs in AZ. It's mostly Cobras but got a foxbody and a few GTs going. I think some GTOs and a corvette maybe as well.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Just as the title states what mods is it going to take to beat an HCI foxbody?
How fast are these cars running? I know they're gonna make over 300rwhp on a good set up, and they are lighter than an sn95 cobra. There's a guy with an 89 fox that has hci and bolt ons, short shifter and who knows what else. My car is a basically stock 97 Cobra with an off road x. I know I can't beat it with just that mod lol.

My future mods are 4.10 gears, JLT cai, and drag radials (nitto 555R's). Possibly a tuner as well. Oh and can't forget the short shifter that I need. I plan to do these mods rapidly. DR's and shifter/cai should arrive next week.

Well this didn't even mod that fox, he just bought it that way, (really hate it when they want to race and talk so much crap and they didn't even build it themselves). He probably doesn't even know the exact mods. Anyways I need to squash to shut him and his friends up.

Will that suffice to take out this fox?

To be perfectly honest you sound young and like you just got your car. (I was there at one point.)Having to race someone and post up on the internet and find every advantage is just foolish in my opinion. Not trying to be rude man but its not even worth the effort. All your doing is having a dick measureing contest with this guy.
If you really had to do it I would just suggest to throw some 4.30's in and drag radials and a shifter and call it a day. This will cost you about $1k but the gears are what will make this biggest difference. A CAI doesnt do shit, just throw a K&N air filter and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread