What's a "dyno-tune" entail?

CWCobra

Established Member
Pardon my lack of understanding, but could someone explain just what a dyno tune is? Is it simply an after-market chip that has been programmed specifically for one car, based on that car's attributes as measured on a dyno? How likely is it that a mail order chip (that has been burned with certain specified mods) will be a good as a dyno tune?

Or does a dyno tune even involve the addition of an after-market chip at all? Can a dyno tune be done WITHOUT the addition of an after-market chip, and thereby be undetectable by a dealer?

Thanls for the info,
CW

Rwick7

Established Member
there are two way to do it a chip or a computer re-flash.

A mail order chip is basically a generic program affecting several parameters that assumes all cars are the same.

A dyno-tuned chip is same as above but they look at the air/fuel ratio of your exact car and set it up that way.

A dyno-tune re-flash however is the most effective way of tuning because many more parameters can be changed and tweaked to get everything possilbe at every RPM. re-flash's are hard to come by...these guys are the best I have seen. www.fordchips.com

Hope that helps...I'm sure it can be explained much better, but I tried.

Last edited:

n2fords2003

Established Member
If you reflash then what do you do if you want the factory settings back? Not sure on that one. Super Chips are the way to go. You can order a generic program where they use programs that most cars with your modifications run best at and should be safe because they will keep the program a little fat because its used on different cars. If you dyno-tune there could be another 15 or more hp hidden because it can be tuned to the edge because the car is there to be monitored and they check for pinging and the A/F ratio but you will have hundreds of dollars more in cost and you will have to travel to wherever you have it done. Nowhere in Chatt town!

Users who are viewing this thread