what year s of f-250 are most reliable?

YJSONLY

Established Member
Same mpg as a stock 6.4 diesel.

By load I mean a small trailer and 45hp tractor. Not 9 tons. But if you need the tow capacity but not wanting/ really need a diesel this would be the way to go.

Last edited:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Holy crap, that's a great deal if it's clean. I can tell you that the tailpipe on it isn't stock.

SID, the f250's I have looked at have had rust issues under the bed, so I have some concerns.

im asking for pics of under the truck on this one before i commit to going down to check it out. thinking about having someone local check it out for me.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SID, the f250's I have looked at have had rust issues under the bed, so I have some concerns.

im asking for pics of under the truck on this one before i commit to going down to check it out. thinking about having someone local check it out for me.

Looks like it's from NY/NJ. If it was a plow truck it's going to have rust issues.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
thanks for all the input folks. in the price range I was looking, I wasn't going to get a nice 250. and the newer ones are overkill and too expensive. ultimately decided to get a better configured f150.

flying out to pickup a "used" 2013 SCREW 157"wb Ecoboost with max tow. 6.5ft bed, 3.73 elec locker, etc. only has 6k miles on it, got a sweet deal.

1700lbs of payload and 11,100# trailer towing ability will be more than enough and still a manageable truck for family duties.

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I have a new 2014 6.7 Diesel 7000 miles… so far so good. I have not towed with it yet.

I sure as hell would NOT buy a V10 for towing especially if your doing any high altitude driving… omg what a pig, it might be reliable, but jeez that engine would drive me nuts just to drive even without a load on it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a new 2014 6.7 Diesel 7000 miles… so far so good. I have not towed with it yet.

I sure as hell would NOT buy a V10 for towing especially if your doing any high altitude driving… omg what a pig, it might be reliable, but jeez that engine would drive me nuts just to drive even without a load on it.

I've towed a 10k pound enclosed trailer on more than one occasion with a 3V V10. It was never at loss for power in the mountains on the east coast. The thinner air out west would have a definite effect though.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have a 99 2 valve V10 with a manual transmission, 35" tires and lift, 4x4 ,super cab short bed.
I have towed many a 10k plus loads and have had no problems.
My fuel mileage is equal to a diesel when towing, and I get a consistent 14 mpg with my tools in the back.

There really is nothing wrong with the 99 to 04 V10.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I've towed a 10k pound enclosed trailer on more than one occasion with a 3V V10. It was never at loss for power in the mountains on the east coast. The thinner air out west would have a definite effect though.

Well that's cool, yeah lower altitudes out east you probably do ok. But I live at 7500 feet and frequently drive 10-12K in the mountains here. Normally aspirated engines in general just don't cut it for me.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a 99 2 valve V10 with a manual transmission, 35" tires and lift, 4x4 ,super cab short bed.
I have towed many a 10k plus loads and have had no problems.
My fuel mileage is equal to a diesel when towing, and I get a consistent 14 mpg with my tools in the back.

There really is nothing wrong with the 99 to 04 V10.

Those trucks had the spark plug blow out issues the early 2V modulars suffered from.

Well that's cool, yeah lower altitudes out east you probably do ok. But I live at 7500 feet and frequently drive 10-12K in the mountains here. Normally aspirated engines in general just don't cut it for me.

I can see that altitude making a big difference. I always hoped Whipple would release a 3v V10 supercharger. They had a prototype, but never went into production with it.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I've had two 6.0 PSDs and I'd take one of those over a 7.3 anyday. The 7.3 has a bad auto tranny behind it and the 7.3 doesn't make the power or mpg and 6.0 makes. That said you have to do head studs and EGR deletes but man they are strong once they are done. Truth be told if you want a diesel then get a cummins backed by a manual. I am a ford guy but a cummins is a pulling monster and reliable

einehund

Established Member
Just picked up a 2001 5.4 F250 with a 5 speed. Mechanically it looks fine, cosmetically....not so much. But it is a truck and I can tow stuff, which my trade in, a 1998 Contour, couldn't quite do.

Users who are viewing this thread