What would you value my GT500

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
Hi,
I have been debating trading in my 2007 GT500 toward the purchase of a used Raptor. I am second owner to my Shelby - car has around 42,xxx miles. As for mod's I dont have to many. Borla mufflers, lowering springs w/ stock shocks/struts, intake and super charger pulley along with a tune/tuner, 2012 SVTPP staggered wheels. I would say in terms of condition the car is an 8/10. What do you think the trade in or private party value would be? Kbb.com i was told by the dealer over values the car. Let me know if you have any questions.
JZ4DVR.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
Nice car.

Market is soft as hell on these cars, and is a trickle effect for every year past it though 2014. If I'm looking for a Shelby, why would I buy a 2007 when I can get a 11-12 car for a bit more cash mentality.

You need to find 2 types of buyers. A person who is really looking for this year body style, or a person who only has so much to spend. I've seen asking prices all over, but $25k is pretty close to where I'd put it and hope for the best.

GLWS

Imatk

Established Member
I agree with the above.

For me, I thought about selling my '07, but the price I would get for it just isn't worth me selling it.

Since I'd want to replace it with another cool car. And how many cool cars can you buy for 25-27k?

I wouldn't mind a GT350 but you're not getting into one of those cars for less than around 40k. Plus it doesn't have the torque that I've grown accustomed to.

And the new GT500... LOL nope... I'm not a millionaire.

So yeah I'm keepin mine until I die probably :)

mdoan

Established Member
2 years ago my 2010 w/ 53k was listed for 29 and sold for 27, basically stock. 2010 being a bit of an odd duck I think it prices similarly to 07-09 but a bit higher, so 25 sounds realistic.

If you want to see that 25 and potentially 26+, assuming you list in the summer months and ideally during a period when there aren’t many 07-09’s to compete against, here are a few suggestions to boost your chances:
- stock rigs bring the most money, period. Your mileage is low enough that you’d really benefit from reversing a few mods if you’re up for it, especially since it’s close to stock already. It’s not a fun job but I’d start with the springs as it’s low enough for casual buyers to notice.
- Go back to stock size pulley and remove the tune / sell the tuner separately. You could avoid having to press a stock pulley back on if you wanted to do a VMP pulley that fits their 6 bolt main in the same size. Most won’t know the difference.
- I’d leave the borlas installed and possibly the intake if it’s something like JLT’s basic black plastic model, but I’d flip the rubber hose/coupler so the JLT label is hidden. If it’s a feaux carbon fiber or painted setup I’d look for a stocker intake on eBay; they’re usually pretty fairly priced.
- Work on whatever flaws are knocking the condition down to 8/10. Touch up paint, a proper detail, upholstery repair, carpet cleaning, cheap stock-look floor mats (if yours are worn), headlight polishing kits, 303 trim restorer, engine bay detail (take a look at the show n shine saloon forum - good stuff there as well as YouTube), and a good wax job go a long way for relatively little $. Consider replacing any buttons/radio/trim pieces that are worn with like-new items from eBay. I’m not sure where to buy the sticky Saran Wrap stuff dealers cover the floors with - probably Amazon - but that's a nice little trick also.

These are all just suggestions and entirely up to you. I’ve spent a lot of time in the dealer world and you’d be surprised the difference this stuff can make.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Totally agree with the above!

I've seen people list cars that didn't even bother to vacuum the floor.

Just seeing a car with a dirty floor lets me know that owner doesn't pay attention to details and I pass.

I would also add to clean the engine bay so that it's spotless. Again seeing a dirty engine bay lets me know that attention to detail wasn't paid.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
There is a huge difference between selling your car retail and as your post says "trading" it in.

I spent 30 years working at a Ford dealership before I retired. As stated above the market is soft but its also soft for the dealer.

I think with the miles on your car its worth wholesale high teens max. Maybe very low 20's.

The $25k to me is more of a retail number and you indicated in you post you wanted to trade it in.

When I traded my 07 GT500 in ( later bought it back ) it was pretty modified with a after market blower and I had to return it to stock.

I think at your level of modifications you should be fine

KBB is looked at by consumers but generally not dealers. If the dealer wants to keep the car they will look at the auction report and black book. If they need to wholesale it and dont want to keep it, they will give you whatever is the best wholesale figure from one of the wholesalers they do business with.

Raptor you cant go wrong with.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Totally agree with the above!

I've seen people list cars that didn't even bother to vacuum the floor.

Just seeing a car with a dirty floor lets me know that owner doesn't pay attention to details and I pass.

I would also add to clean the engine bay so that it's spotless. Again seeing a dirty engine bay lets me know that attention to detail wasn't paid.
So you wouldn't buy a car that the owner didn't vacuum the floor mats? Jesus, you guys are harsh. lol
No one would ever want my pile of shit then because no only are the floormats kind of dirty, but the dash has dust on it and a dirty windsheild. I guess I should just scrap the thing.
*the difference actually driving the car a little can make in being able to eat off it or not*

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
This thread makes me sad. I regretted getting rid of my 07 Gt500 Vert about 3 years ago but I had lost my job & needed money. Basically stock, 26,xxx that I got 27.5 for.

PM-Performance

Established Member
This thread makes me sad. I regretted getting rid of my 07 Gt500 Vert about 3 years ago but I had lost my job & needed money. Basically stock, 26,xxx that I got 27.5 for.
Sorry to hear. Because these are afforable now, they are a great bang for the buck. Good time to pick another one up.

q6543

Established Member
22k reality.... and you'll automatically be taking non stop losses to almost any and all coyote cars.

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, I was talking strictly private party retail, and only asking price to start with. To get it gone, you will need to negotiate down from that.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Because these are afforable now, they are a great bang for the buck. Good time to pick another one up.

thanks, I want to but haven’t found (i guess) the right one. I’m onto a coyote currently. Not bad but no Shelby.

Imatk

Established Member
So you wouldn't buy a car that the owner didn't vacuum the floor mats? Jesus, you guys are harsh. lol
No one would ever want my pile of shit then because no only are the floormats kind of dirty, but the dash has dust on it and a dirty windsheild. I guess I should just scrap the thing.
*the difference actually driving the car a little can make in being able to eat off it or not*

If you were advertising the car for sale and didn't bother to clean it... then yes I'd probably pass.

I have dirty floor mats too from time to time, but if I was going to sell my car you can bet they wouldn't be dirty in the for sale ad.

mdoan

Established Member

As Imatk noted, a dirty car from being driven is expected. A dirty car you are listing for sale (retail) is entirely different; fair or not, buyers will assume that if an owner is too lazy to wash and vac a car for sale, they were probably too lazy to properly maintain it.

If you were selling your house you’d just leave your sh*t scattered everywhere?

celticfdguy

Established Member
2 years ago my 2010 w/ 53k was listed for 29 and sold for 27, basically stock. 2010 being a bit of an odd duck I think it prices similarly to 07-09 but a bit higher, so 25 sounds realistic.

If you want to see that 25 and potentially 26+, assuming you list in the summer months and ideally during a period when there aren’t many 07-09’s to compete against, here are a few suggestions to boost your chances:
- stock rigs bring the most money, period. Your mileage is low enough that you’d really benefit from reversing a few mods if you’re up for it, especially since it’s close to stock already. It’s not a fun job but I’d start with the springs as it’s low enough for casual buyers to notice.
- Go back to stock size pulley and remove the tune / sell the tuner separately. You could avoid having to press a stock pulley back on if you wanted to do a VMP pulley that fits their 6 bolt main in the same size. Most won’t know the difference.
- I’d leave the borlas installed and possibly the intake if it’s something like JLT’s basic black plastic model, but I’d flip the rubber hose/coupler so the JLT label is hidden. If it’s a feaux carbon fiber or painted setup I’d look for a stocker intake on eBay; they’re usually pretty fairly priced.
- Work on whatever flaws are knocking the condition down to 8/10. Touch up paint, a proper detail, upholstery repair, carpet cleaning, cheap stock-look floor mats (if yours are worn), headlight polishing kits, 303 trim restorer, engine bay detail (take a look at the show n shine saloon forum - good stuff there as well as YouTube), and a good wax job go a long way for relatively little $. Consider replacing any buttons/radio/trim pieces that are worn with like-new items from eBay. I’m not sure where to buy the sticky Saran Wrap stuff dealers cover the floors with - probably Amazon - but that's a nice little trick also.

These are all just suggestions and entirely up to you. I’ve spent a lot of time in the dealer world and you’d be surprised the difference this stuff can make.
Thanks for this DETAILED reply! I meant to get back to you all sooner. Should I leave the lowering springs and put back original wheels you think or put the original springs back in with original wheels? I don't have either anymore so I would have to track them down. Being what you said am I better off just trading it in for less and saving some money on sales tax? I am in NY 8.875%.

celticfdguy

Established Member
OK - I read through all the posts and going private is way to go. Being my explorer lease is up in November I got time to sit on this while I sell it. I will post up a few more pics of it shortly. The interior and exterior are pretty clean. I planned on getting it professionally detailed so it really pops. Thank you all - really appreciate it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread