• Mach 1

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • New edge GT

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whatwhine

Established Member
Ive been drooling over terminators since the day they came out. ive been watching certain ones and dreaming. But now im coming to a crossroads:
Save up and buy one, buy an older cobra/mach 1 or buy a GT and build.
So being torn i figured i would get opinions.
yes i know its all in what you want, but i dont want to spend $20,000 lol

vote and explain why please

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
buy a terminator if you're jizzing yourself over one. They're outdated as hell but they're badass and look badass. I'm about to get one after I graduate from college.

Adiabatik

Banned
I have under $20K invested in my car (including the car itself) and it will destroyMachs and Termi's that don't have a good amount of $$$ invested in them :shrug:

Zemedici

Established Member
I have under $20K invested in my car (including the car itself) and it will destroyMachs and Termi's that don't have a good amount of $$$ invested in them :shrug:

You can get a 1.8l Honda, slap some pistons/rods in it, strip the interior and put spray on it, and walk 99.5% of everything for <3k. You won't always be the fastest. :shrug: not to mention it's harder and harder to find stock cobras ;)

OP buy a cobra. You get a damn near bulletproof motor/trans, limited production, factory supercharged car with a great lineage. You'll be kicking yourself If you won't. I've wanted one since 2003 and I finally had the chance to snag one so I did. Don't regret it one bit.

Sure you can buy a GT and build it, but eh. Not the same IMO.

Adiabatik

Banned
You can get a 1.8l Honda, slap some pistons/rods in it, strip the interior and put spray on it, and walk 99.5% of everything for <3k. You won't always be the fastest.

Ummm yeah.....no you cant :dw:

If that were the case, everyone would have 10 second Hondas :rollseyes

Zemedici

Established Member
Ummm yeah.....no you cant :dw:

If that were the case, everyone would have 10 second Hondas :rollseyes

.....I was exaggerating a bit. The point of what I was saying is if OP wants to try and be the fastest around, buy a GT as that would certainly be cheaper, but if he wants a limited production car with a stout transmission, and even stouter motor, with unique interior, IRS, etc: get a cobra.

And I'll never drive a Honda, I already have a lawn mower, don't need 2.

whatwhine

Established Member
Well I currently drive a Honda (sometimes people make bad choices lol) but I am watching the mustang market. My only drawback to owning an 03/04 is that I won't leave it stock. I won't mod the thing into a race car but I'd like a ported eaton setup. Good exhaust. Great suspension.
I kno I won't b the fastest no matter what I buy/build. I don't have the mOney to b the fastest lol.
I will have blown setup no matter what, The eaton or prob a KB, no matter which car I choose.

Thanks for Yals advice.
Keep it coming

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
I own a new edge GT. Have been modding it over the past few years. Already owned the car and after it was paid off is when the modding began. I love my car, but if I was going to start out fresh, I would start with a Terminator.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
If you are looking to build a car yourself, go with a 99-01 cobra or a Mach 1. Much better platform to start on with the 4v motors. However, if you are looking to get something with MOST of the work already done straight from the factory, get an 03-04. Like others have said, you get a work horse drivetrain right out of the box. You don't HAVE to have diamond pistons and an expensive set of heads to make decent numbers. Port the eaton and swap the pulleys and you've already made a noticeable power gain. Plus, you have a car that people love, and will walk 80% of everyone with a "fast" daily driver.

I too love my gt. It's pretty, but that's it. I'm not touching the drivetrain. I have no desire to build a 2v. I will either sell my car and make payments on an 03-04, or just do the drivetrain swap. Either way I will be spending about the same amount of money. Just go with what you will enjoy the most!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
2V all day everyday. I'm sorry but 03/04 cobras as nice as they are, are overpriced.

At the end of the day you're going to have a lot of money into ANY of them if you're dreaming big. Personally I'd rather be the underdog and embarrass the "my cars better because it says cobra guys" but that's just me. It just depends on if you can wait, cobra is instant gratification. Building a GT is a long drawn out sense of pride that comes with doing all of it yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means bashing cobra's, I love them always will. But I'd just rather build my own car at this stage in my life lol

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
2V all day everyday. I'm sorry but 03/04 cobras as nice as they are, are overpriced.

At the end of the day you're going to have a lot of money into ANY of them if you're dreaming big. Personally I'd rather be the underdog and embarrass the "my cars better because it says cobra guys" but that's just me. It just depends on if you can wait, cobra is instant gratification. Building a GT is a long drawn out sense of pride that comes with doing all of it yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means bashing cobra's, I love them always will. But I'd just rather build my own car at this stage in my life lol

I agree with this. It all just depends on what you're looking for. A project? Or instant gratification. I think if my gt wasn't my dd, I could see myself building it, like kleech did. But with it being my dd, I have no desire to do so. Will this car be a daily? Or a garage queen of sorts?

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
I missed my Kenne Bell GT until I got my 04 Cobra. It's also really nice because I see the 99-04 Mustangs ALL the time where I live. It's rare to see a Cobra or Mach 1. That's what I'm all about. Go with what you feel. :beer:

whatwhine

Established Member
Mine would not b a DD. but not technically a garage queen either.
I'm thinking the gt is def losing here.
We have a lot of gt's around here anyway. Couple Fobras too. I see a Mach every now and then. I only kno of 2 real cobras in my area. I know there's more but I can only think of 2.
I do want that instant gratification. And I would probably turn any car into a fobra unless I bought a Saleen.....they're amazing too.

wicked96gt

Established Member
I love the cobras but I love my car more. Would I like a cobra one day yes I would love sonic blue cobra. But I get more wows and interest at the track in my car than a cobra does. My car will also beat cobras and once I get a trans and fuel system and more boost its going to take a pretty powerful cobra to beat me. Not hating on cobras because I still love them. But I love beating up on them in my 2v!

99BRA

Established Member
I voted for the new edge gt. you can buy a fairly modded gt for a good price and for a couple grand you can throw a blower on there and have a nice ride and still have money in your pocket.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I voted for the new edge gt. you can buy a fairly modded gt for a good price and for a couple grand you can throw a blower on there and have a nice ride and still have money in your pocket.

I got my 2000 GT that had an intercooled T trim, built auto and a built rear axle for $6000.

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
I am quite surprised by the amount of 2V love here. That is the main reason I am going to stick with my GT, even when I go with a built motor. I am still going to stick with a 2V. Ported heads and big cams FTW!

whatwhine

Established Member
^ that's the route I would go. Theres a 2v 5.4 silver gt in the market with cams. I love his setup. I'd add a tork teCh to it and b done.
But I still can't help but want a true terminator. But I can't see dropping the kinda money guys are asking

Stang Lover

Established Member
I was in the same boat recently. For the money you pay for a terminator you can drop half of that maybe even less than half and build a nasty GT walking 4V's all day. I wouldn't spend 17-2x Grand on a 10 year old car let alone finance one without a huge down payment financing no more than 4grandish or so. I wouldn't spend no more than $15K on one if I were to get one. For the price of a decent low mileage one your not too far off from a 11-12 coyote & that's just what it's turning into these days if you think about it. If I could go back to last year I would of just got a Mach 1 lower mileage and build off that but people were wanting close to a high mileage termi for their Mach 1's at the time so that's why I got my bullitt. I like being the underdog as kleech said and leave a WTF look on peoples faces. All in what you want.

Last edited:

whatwhine

Established Member
Well one things for sure: no one has suggested the older cobras at all lol
And I really like a 98 BAB Cobra....But it's not really what I'd want right now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread