What Would You Do? Fox Body

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
My buddy has a 91 Fox hatch back Bimini blue. Street car, still has a/c & heat. He’s hitting the cross roads on what to do with it to make more power. When we started discussing there’s so many options.

Current:
Stock short block
TF 185 heads
TF intake system
100hp Nitrous (can flow 250)
MSD ignition system, Digital 6
5-lug swap, 31 spline strange rear end
UPR uca, lca, coilovers
Stock t5

Trying to keep it within reason, budget 6-9k

Do you build a pushrod short block?

Sell off the parts and look for a coyote combo?

Maybe find a cobra take out to put in?

Build a mod motor?

Sell the car, restart?

Goals:
Highway capable street car
600-700hp (capability)
Retain amenities- power steering, heat, (a/c up in the air, don’t use it much in Midwest)

All suggestions appreciated, just started this venture. No idea where it’ll end up.

nxhappy

Established Member
forged pistons, crank etc. and a cheap turbo kit. let it fly. could also go blower route. either way first step is pistons/crank/cam, and fuel set up.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
forged pistons, crank etc. and a cheap turbo kit. let it fly. could also go blower route. either way first step is pistons/crank/cam, and fuel set up.
Only concern is the 5.0 block being the weak point at 500hp. Susceptible to cracking.

The problem is the t5. You're looking at 3-4K to properly replace that. That's half your budget.

I would sell the nitrous kit, find a used voretch S-Trim for 2K-ish, maybe $500-1,000 more for fuel upgrades, a bit more for a tune and he can put down 500rwhp.
Yup, the t5 definitely isn’t going to last. Looking to stay stick, seems t56 is about the only option that would live for the price.

No coyote swap.....

I'd say Terminator swap, but that won't happen for the budget listed.

I vote beefing up the factory engine and adding a single turbo. Should be a fun car.

Until the T5 breaks lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I threw that out there because I sold a complete terminator engine/harness/ecu/t56 about 5 years ago for $6800. But haven’t seen anything for that price lately. Timing just didn’t work.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
How bad is a TKO swap?

Any decent trans, TKO, 500/600, TKX, Magnum, t56... you're looking at like $2,500ish if you find the parts used, and not many want to risk going with a clutch that Joe Blow claims only has 2K miles on it. If buying new parts, you can easily hit 4K for trans, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and crossmember.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been contemplating what route I'd like for my 90 coupe. It's a tough decision really.

Ultimately, I think a 408 stroker mated with a T56 would be fun! But I'd be happy with 500hp.....

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

OX1

Established Member
351W block bored and stroked to 408 with current top end. Single turbo then see what's left to be sold and in the budget for a trans swap.

How bad is a TKO swap?

This is probably your only route in that price range if you want 6-700 HP. I would just live with somewhat less HP and stay NA, then spend the turbo money on the trans. Maybe later on add FI, if NA stroked W not enough on street.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
U need a bigger budget...... Coyote, then single Turbo then 6r80. No need to do everything at once but I would start with the Coyote motor and go from there.

CobraSam

Established Member
I would throw a T trim or YSI on your current setup. Run it like it is and you’ll be at 500hp easily with little timing and a safe tune. While you enjoy that setup, you can start building a Dart based shortblock. Look at FordStrokers.com. Throw it in and turn the boost up.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Any decent trans, TKO, 500/600, TKX, Magnum, t56... you're looking at like $2,500ish if you find the parts used, and not many want to risk going with a clutch that Joe Blow claims only has 2K miles on it. If buying new parts, you can easily hit 4K for trans, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and crossmember.

That's a little high on the TKO pricing. I've bought a few of them for 1500-2k before. Buy a new 26 spline clutch and let it rip with the stock bell

Personally I'd throw a TKO in it. On3 kit. Good fuel system and an MS3pro. As long as you don't ring it out up top with RPM's they'll hold up okay. You can get all that done for that price range, easily

MG0h3

Established Member
If the goal is 6-700, his current setup has to go. Both engine and trans.

Iirc, the 351w block is happy to about 800, not sure if wheel or flywheel. I used a roller block for mine.

Careful on how much stroke you go for with boost. The throw and shorter piston skirt isn’t your grind with boost.

Going from 500hp up to the 6-700 on a fox drivetrain is kindof the break over point where you need to make the leap.

Make a plan and sell all the running stuff.

I want to say Dart makes a cheaper forged block if you want to stay 302. Used to be like 2500 just for the block.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
If it were me...

4.6L DOHC & IRS swap... try to go with the manual transmission found in either the 99/01 Cobra or Mach-1
Overhaul or rebuild the engine to handle more HP & see how much $$ is left over for possible power-adders...

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Yeah, once.

No, that's the late 90's "meme" if you will. I put down 517rwhp on my setup. You can tune safely into the 500's if you have the fuel. Then comes other problems like the trans, axles, suspension, etc. If all those are top notch parts, and you're building a track car, when you will blow the stock shortblock is high RPMs. Keep it under 6K and you'll be fine unless unlucky. OP makes no real claim that the owner is going to be building a track car and attempting to get every tenth out of it.

q6543

Established Member
Best plan is to clean his car up and sell it, then bundle that money with his budget for a car that's already built.

You could easily blow double the budget on his car.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Yes.
boom GIF

Users who are viewing this thread