What will the 2018 Dodge SRT Demon beat in a drag race? Cars costing 10 times as much, that's what

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Not all foxes are junker cars. There are a few that are built right and perform well and drive well. When I built mine I used the C5 Z06 as a base car to compare it too. Not everyone can afford these new flavor of the week cars, that doesn't mean a properly built fox is a "junker" just because it's a old car. I agree most of them are junkers because they only worry about one thing, straight line speed no matter the cost. Me personally I'd rather have my fox that I built that'll run just as fast as these cars and still be able to be daily driven. Hot rodding is about the fun of building something you want to enjoy and actually using it/driving it. I don't feel ashamed that my "junker" fox can compete with some of these cars because it's what I can afford and built. I get what you're saying because that's what an uneducated person would say, get you one of them there foxes and throw money in it and outrun xxx vehicle in question. Different strokes for different strokes I guess, but I enjoy and like my fox. If you can't go out and buy the new flavor of the week car then be happy with what you've built and have fun. Respect the newer cars for what they can do with all the new technology power they have but don't shit on the lower guy who built his car and can hang with these new cars. I like everything fast, just not in that point in my life where I can go out and buy a competitive car from the showroom so I have to continue making the one I can afford be somewhat competitive. It's all in good fun anyways, some people just take it too serious.

Man, you took something we said, twisted it into something we didn't say, then gave us grief about something we didn't say. Re-read our posts in context...

Cliff notes:

A $5K fox body beater can be made faster than a Demon for way less money.

All factory performance cars are a waste. Just build up some old piece of crap for cheaper.

...Plus, you're aren't gonna take a 9 second fox body on a 2,000 mile road trip and expect to be even remotely comfortable...

No one said anything negative about the platform. If you think that is "shitting" on the Fox platform, you may want to consider therapy.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Man, you took something we said, twisted it into something we didn't say, then gave us grief about something we didn't say. Re-read our posts in context...

No one said anything negative about the platform. If you think that is "shitting" on the Fox platform, you may want to consider therapy.

Consider therapy? Lol. That may be a touch on the extreme side but my therapist tells me I do go to extremes......

I wasn't pointing it at anyone in particular. I just hate normal fox builds, and try to build them as much "unconventional" mustang as possible. All I meant was you can make a 9 second fox a very comfortable car with the right parts. Don't forget that the beloved 03-04's really aren't that much different underneath. I had to break up this thread somehow or another, demon demon demon.

o_O
I'll send you my therapist number, she does phone interviews.:p:D
(Don't take me serious...because I'm being VERY non serious here) Sorry to worry anyone about my sanity.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Go scroll down to the 2011-2014 mustangs section and look at the laundry list of guys in the 9 (and even 8) second club. Now let's see a list of 2011+ mustangs that handle like a 350r....I've never seen one.

The difference between any of those mustangs and the demon is those mustangs don't pass emissions requirements and don't have a warranty. The demon does both from the factory. Its far more difficult to do when you have to follow rules set by the government.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I was not referring to a $1M+ hypercar in terms of difficultly to engineer vs. the Demon, rather the ZL1 and GT350. They also put go fast parts on those cars similar to what the aftermarket has offered for years. Big brakes, sticky tires, more extreme suspension setups, and more HP. Some of the tech is pretty neat, but essentially the same formula that has been used for decades

BTW, there are lots of S197's and S550's (even Foxes) running around in various HPDE, SCCA, etc events that would whip a GT350 and ZL1. I'm not talking about the big budget race team either. The GT350 and ZL1 aren't some mythical and unbeatable machines.

They would also whip your spine in half, where the other two would not.

You can't buy, at least I haven't seen, magnetic suspension aftermarket. You don't have millions into suspension geometry etc either. Point is, you might replicate the speed around track of a 350r or ZL1...but you'll never replicate the "feel" of the car. You won't match all the things it can do, while you easily could match the one thing the Demon could do... Go fast in a 1/4 mile.

The entire point is, in the end you're really gonna spend 120k+ on a one trick pony like the Demon, then turn around and get walked by Mustangs and Camaros (not to mention helllcats and Challenger/chargers) with tens of thousands less invested at the few tracks that will let you run in the first place? Or cage your 120k car....

I'd much, much rather have a dozen cars or combos of cars. How about a stock hellcat as a DD and a 8 second ride of choice. Or a GT350/350r and above. Or a Viper ACR. How about both a c6z06 and a 13/14 GT500 plus mod money for both.

If you can't see how people are saying "meh" to this car without accusing them of being Dodge haters or Ford loyalists you don't have an open mind. I'm not saying you can't really want/be excited about the car, but it's definitely no wondercar with insane price/performance either. If Ford's next GT500 is 100k or they offer a one trick pony Mustang for 100+ I'd say the same thing.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Are there any other cars "THAT ARE UNDER 100K" that can be ordered BRAND NEW from your local dealership and go 9's in the quarter mile?
Will they do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds?
Will they do 0-100 in under 6 seconds?
Will they pull a wheelie over 2 feet long?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The difference between any of those mustangs and the demon is those mustangs don't pass emissions requirements and don't have a warranty. The demon does both from the factory. Its far more difficult to do when you have to follow rules set by the government.

Exactly

The bar is set so much higher for a factory offering vs. aftermarket. When you weigh all the requirements an OEM must meet to sell and back a car that you can license and legally drive on the street, it's really a ridiculous argument.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
They would also whip your spine in half, where the other two would not.

You can't buy, at least I haven't seen, magnetic suspension aftermarket. You don't have millions into suspension geometry etc either. Point is, you might replicate the speed around track of a 350r or ZL1...but you'll never replicate the "feel" of the car. You won't match all the things it can do, while you easily could match the one thing the Demon could do... Go fast in a 1/4 mile.

The entire point is, in the end you're really gonna spend 120k+ on a one trick pony like the Demon, then turn around and get walked by Mustangs and Camaros (not to mention helllcats and Challenger/chargers) with tens of thousands less invested at the few tracks that will let you run in the first place? Or cage your 120k car....

I'd much, much rather have a dozen cars or combos of cars. How about a stock hellcat as a DD and a 8 second ride of choice. Or a GT350/350r and above. Or a Viper ACR. How about both a c6z06 and a 13/14 GT500 plus mod money for both.

If you can't see how people are saying "meh" to this car without accusing them of being Dodge haters or Ford loyalists you don't have an open mind. I'm not saying you can't really want/be excited about the car, but it's definitely no wondercar with insane price/performance either. If Ford's next GT500 is 100k or they offer a one trick pony Mustang for 100+ I'd say the same thing.

As far as replicating the feel of the car the same could be said for the demon. Also, there are a lot of 9 or lower coyote cars vs gt350 killers because drag racing is super popular in the us. It just is what it is.

You're seriously down playing what dodge did here though and how hard it actually is to make a full weight street car go mid 9s reliably and be able to be driven cross country comfortably.

Have you ever built something like that?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
As far as replicating the feel of the car the same could be said for the demon. Also, there are a lot of 9 or lower coyote cars vs gt350 killers because drag racing is super popular in the us. It just is what it is.

You're seriously down playing what dodge did here though and how hard it actually is to make a full weight street car go mid 9s reliably and be able to be driven cross country comfortably.

Have you ever built something like that?

While meeting EPA regs.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
We are losing sight of the talking points. 9.x is damn fast. Hell low 10's are fast!
Ten years ago tracks(Sonoma) would not allow anyone under 12 without a cage.

For a driver how does a 9.x car or an underground racing 1400hp gallardo make driving more fun or entertaining? What can they do the a 10.x can't?

I believe we've hit the line of diminishing returns with speed/power of a street car. Even Ben said the Hellcat did not have the needed traction.

blk02edge

Established Member
Even though I agree that this car hasn't done anything THAT special in regards to engineering And I do believe if both chevy and ford wanted to build one they could, and better. I appreciate the demon because of the marketing balls to actually do it. Helps fuel the aftermarket and car scene in general. Sadly I'll probably never see one because of drag racing being irrelevant in my neck of the desert.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Are there any other cars "THAT ARE UNDER 100K" that can be ordered BRAND NEW from your local dealership and go 9's in the quarter mile?
Will they do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds?
Will they do 0-100 in under 6 seconds?
Will they pull a wheelie over 2 feet long?

Sure, my '14 CobraJet was well under $100K, runs consistent 8.7 @ 155, does 0-60 in 1.5 secs and 0-100 in under 3.5 secs, and it carries the front end for about 60'. I ordered it from my Ford dealer and it was delivered by them; their service department handles maintenance and everything.

Or did you mean street legal cars? :D

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
They added more power via a bigger blower, a killer chiller, and a few other race goodies the aftermarket has been using for decades. Then they pulled the seats out and removed other things for weight reduction, added big rear tires and skinnys and went to town. This isn't rocket science.

They didn't just add a bigger blower and killer chiller to a Hellcat, pull the interior and slap a Demon badge on it. Do some research. Smh

Has anyone actually witnessed a Demon running a 9.65??

This is a good point. If you haven't seen it, then it didn't happen/doesn't exist.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Has anyone actually witnessed a Demon running a 9.65??

There are some videos of the car making some sick mid-9 second passed on YouTube. I stopped following the car a few days after the release... But there may be some on Dodges page as well as the leaked video.

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
They didn't just add a bigger blower and killer chiller to a Hellcat, pull the interior and slap a Demon badge on it. Do some research. Smh

This is a good point. If you haven't seen it, then it didn't happen/doesn't exist.

That's not what I'm saying, obviously. I was unaware there were actually passes made at that speed/time. Thought it was dodge "estimating"

Jefe

Established Member
So much for the production line record. They cant finish the car on the production line lol. Tires are too wide

http://driving.ca/dodge/challenger/...ikely-issue-with-the-challenger-demons-wheels

v0agi12v2o967py6g.jpg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure, my '14 CobraJet was well under $100K, runs consistent 8.7 @ 155, does 0-60 in 1.5 secs and 0-100 in under 3.5 secs, and it carries the front end for about 60'. I ordered it from my Ford dealer and it was delivered by them; their service department handles maintenance and everything.
Or did you mean street legal cars? :D
HA HAAAAAAA :D
Yes, street legal cars.

Users who are viewing this thread