What Will The 2016 Raptor Have?

TorchMach

Established Member
What do you guys think it will have?

I plan on trading mine in for the new and improved but if it's not much different I might get back into a car.

I hope it has the following

- 500hp (maybe FI??)
- More wheel travel
- Better gas mileage

What would you like the new Raptor to have?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Aluminum body, updated suspension, either an updated 6.2 or it will move to a updated 5.0, slightly better mpg, similar tow ratings, updated interior.

Thats my guess.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
If it doesn't have a forced induction 5.0 (or 5.8;-)) I'll just buy a 5.0 and call up the cat in the hat to provide the manifold pressure. I've made a personal goal to never buy another vehicle that doesn't have at least 600 horsepower.

Seriously, the SC 5.0 would have plenty of torque, and still much improved mpg than the old 6.2.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The Raptor, as a purpose built off-road truck, doesn't really need anything more than it has. The aluminum frame/body to lighten it and give it better mileage is a plus, but you don't buy a Raptor expecting good gas mileage.

dragonknight

QUOTE=DHG1078;14295220]Aluminum body, updated suspension, either an updated 6.2 or it will move to a updated 5.0, slightly better mpg, similar tow ratings, updated interior.
Thats my guess.[/QUOTE]
sorry bro but I had to laugh when I saw that. a 5.0 in the raptor? what are you on drug's? just messing with ya, I don't think ford is that stupid to put a small N/A displacement motor in something so big with the tires and gears the raptor is already using that's like putting a 6.7l PSD in a peterbilt and expect it to do the same thing as a CAT diesel. I would break a 5.0 in my raptor and if the 5.0 were in to be put in the raptor not only will the truck be underpowered (only because of the small displacement and power/torque curve) but the raptor would get even worse MPGs than the 6.2l in it already!
stick an aluminum block 6.2l in it and aluminum body panels there you go and there will never be an aluminum truck frame. that's just as worse as having a steel tube frame laying on its sides. it wont work.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
sorry bro but I had to laugh when I saw that. a 5.0 in the raptor? what are you on drug's? just messing with ya, I don't think ford is that stupid to put a small N/A displacement motor in something so big with the tires and gears the raptor is already using that's like putting a 6.7l PSD in a peterbilt and expect it to do the same thing as a CAT diesel. I would break a 5.0 in my raptor and if the 5.0 were in to be put in the raptor not only will the truck be underpowered (only because of the small displacement and power/torque curve) but the raptor would get even worse MPGs than the 6.2l in it already!
stick an aluminum block 6.2l in it and aluminum body panels there you go and there will never be an aluminum truck frame. that's just as worse as having a steel tube frame laying on its sides. it wont work.

I never said aluminum frame. I said aluminum body. An all aluminum body and an updated 5.0 would cut 700+ pounds from the truck easily. If the 5.0 was so under powered for trucks, why is it doing just fine in the regular F-150 before the weight loss and with better mpg? Rumors are saying there will be no 6.2 for F-150's at all, including the raptor. Ford is putting a 2.7L turbo V-6 in the F-150 and it's supposed to tow over 8K pounds. Something tells me a 5.0 updated for a better torque curve would do just fine, and probably even better than a '14 raptor with the 6.2L.

dragonknight

some one on here wrote aluminum frame and body. that will never happen for one although i believe aluminum bodies should be implemented across all truck lines.
the reason why ford chose the 6.2l for motivation in the raptor was because the bigger engines always make more torque and power at lower rpm compared to a smaller engine. this is also why the 6.2l is standard in the super duty and stopped using the 5.4l just so much better than the 5.4l i have one i would know this first hand.
have you ever driven a 5.4l raptor? i have what a slouch that was! the 6.2l is in perfect marriage with the raptor and using a 5.0 engine will only make things worse you can not make the torque curve better on the 5.0 if any it very incremental still isn't enough to get a large mass moving thus efficiency is lost and the engine by its very nature being small has to work harder. that's a fact with small engines don't argue with that.
do you really think the 5.0 coyote motor is some divine all power making engine? it seems like a lot of you mustang owners and or mustang fanboys think that! just saying dont take it as an insult.
the F150 will not return with the 6.2l that's a fact from ford not a rumor its only in the super duty and the raptor and will also be sold to inmar marine.
the 2.3 or whatever is only for the low model trucks nor will it come in XLT and up models XL and STX short bed reg cab XLT the higher models will get he 5.0 and the other EB.
the 2.3l will not have towing capacity of 8k sorry bud but that's talk coming out of some one ass. i bought a 2011 5.0 f150 xlt i traded that bitch in for a F250 that 5.0 struggled with my 20 ft grady white center console boat and towing a 18 foot car trailer forget it! that motor all i wanted to do was rev ON A STRAIGHT ROAD! the F250 i bought was just so much better than the 5.0 by far a better engine. i didn't want the EB its a good motor for 10k towing on week ends but i didn't want a turbo charged V6.
believe it or not my 6.2l F250 gets 2 mpgs better than my brothers 5.0 F150
the factory 6.2l at the crank is making 443 pound feet of torque at 4000RPM and 427HP at 5450RPM
the factory 5.0 truck engine is making 369 pound feet of torque at 4400RPM and 351HP at 5900RPM not 360/380 like ford says. so making the torque better on the 5.0 is doable but not by much its a small engine by its very nature it has to rev higher no way around that.
my friend who owns a small performance shop showed me the dyno graph. these are rebuilds and the 5.0 tested was token out and a guy bought a stroker crank for the truck still it didn't make much more than the factory.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
some one on here wrote aluminum frame and body. that will never happen for one although i believe aluminum bodies should be implemented across all truck lines.
the reason why ford chose the 6.2l for motivation in the raptor was because the bigger engines always make more torque and power at lower rpm compared to a smaller engine. this is also why the 6.2l is standard in the super duty and stopped using the 5.4l just so much better than the 5.4l i have one i would know this first hand.
have you ever driven a 5.4l raptor? i have what a slouch that was! the 6.2l is in perfect marriage with the raptor and using a 5.0 engine will only make things worse you can not make the torque curve better on the 5.0 if any it very incremental still isn't enough to get a large mass moving thus efficiency is lost and the engine by its very nature being small has to work harder. that's a fact with small engines don't argue with that.
do you really think the 5.0 coyote motor is some divine all power making engine? it seems like a lot of you mustang owners and or mustang fanboys think that! just saying dont take it as an insult.
the F150 will not return with the 6.2l that's a fact from ford not a rumor its only in the super duty and the raptor and will also be sold to inmar marine.
the 2.3 or whatever is only for the low model trucks nor will it come in XLT and up models XL and STX short bed reg cab XLT the higher models will get he 5.0 and the other EB.
the 2.3l will not have towing capacity of 8k sorry bud but that's talk coming out of some one ass. i bought a 2011 5.0 f150 xlt i traded that bitch in for a F250 that 5.0 struggled with my 20 ft grady white center console boat and towing a 18 foot car trailer forget it! that motor all i wanted to do was rev ON A STRAIGHT ROAD! the F250 i bought was just so much better than the 5.0 by far a better engine. i didn't want the EB its a good motor for 10k towing on week ends but i didn't want a turbo charged V6.
believe it or not my 6.2l F250 gets 2 mpgs better than my brothers 5.0 F150
the factory 6.2l at the crank is making 443 pound feet of torque at 4000RPM and 427HP at 5450RPM
the factory 5.0 truck engine is making 369 pound feet of torque at 4400RPM and 351HP at 5900RPM not 360/380 like ford says. so making the torque better on the 5.0 is doable but not by much its a small engine by its very nature it has to rev higher no way around that.
my friend who owns a small performance shop showed me the dyno graph. these are rebuilds and the 5.0 tested was token out and a guy bought a stroker crank for the truck still it didn't make much more than the factory.

I understand the differences between the engines, but just like you said there will be no 6.2L in the F-150. I am pretty sure this will include the raptor.

Ford has officially announced the 2.7L ecoboost will have a max towing capacity of 8500 lbs. I never said this was a premium engine option or the best towing engine. Ford even states that this is more for the consumer who needs a truck, but doesn't tow much. I pointed that out to showcase what a difference 700 lbs makes. Lose 700 lbs and you don't need the same big motors to get the same performance.

The 3.5L ecoboost and the 5.0 are updated as well, but ford hasn't given any specifics IIRC.

I am not saying the 5.0 is the end-all be-all option, but with tightening CAFE requirements Ford can't put big 6.2L engines that get an EPA estimated 11/16 mpg in a high volume truck. Yes, I know the raptor isn't a huge volume truck, but it sells really well and needs to go to a smaller engine to avoid extra taxes such as the gas guzzler tax.

The truck is 700 lbs lighter. I can't emphasize that enough. 700 lbs is HUGE. A 5.0 as is should get similar performance numbers and better mpg than the 6.2L in a 700 lb heavier truck.

Comparing towing big trailers between an F-150 and an F-250 is laughable. They aren't even close to being in the same class. I would be interested in trailer weights though. Just because they are 18-20 ft. long doesn't tell me much. Just out of curiosity, is it a modded 6.2 truck vs. stock 5.0? modded vs. modded? stock vs. stock? Is this mpg comparison with the same exact loads? Not that I am doubting you, just curious.

Also, don't older models always feel like a slouch compared to their updated versions? If it was the other way around, Ford would be doing something really wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you that an updated aluminum block 6.2L would be awesome in a new raptor. I just don't see it happening with the government's tightening regulations.

Edit: The only other engine I see Ford using is a 3.5L ecoboost since they have been testing the ecoboost motors in the baja 1000.

Last edited:

dragonknight

the Baja EB engine you saw was a RandD vehicle not for specific mass production. the raptor is a niche line that does well but that's with any ford niche line the vehicle in its class sells beyond fords expectation's.
to the weight - do you realize 7000 pounds isn't a whole lot of weight? its a lot of weight to a car like a mustang or a Camaro but not a truck. differences there.
if there's was government regulations on niche model lines then the raptor would not exist or it would not come back although ( not to try and make rumors) I've been hearing ALOT that the raptor wont be back instead the bronco is coming back out. I don't know if that is true or not.
the 6.2l needs an aluminum block the 6.2l engine is also fords cheapest engine to mass produce adding aluminum to the block will take aprox. 40 pounds off the front nose of any vehicle it sit's in. I can see a 3.5l eco-boost in the raptor before I can see a 5.0l in it. its all about torque when it comes to 35 inch tires heavy truck weight and steep gears and the 5.0 just does not match that bill. yes a 5.0l can make the same amount of torque as the 6.2l currently does but by its very nature it has to rev higher to match that number. you're looking at 5300RPM easily for the 5.0 to hit 443 the smaller the engine the higher it has to rev to match the same number as an engine that has a considerable amount of displacement on it that's a fact and you can not get the 5.0 to make the same kind of power at the same RPM's with out the aid of forced induction but that is not cost effective or feasible for an off-road truck with a V8 gasoline engine in it. and diesel off road trucks are a different breed of niche line vehicles.
high end vehicles or "niche" vehicles are not taxed as heavily for that simple reason the viper the vette the raptor are not taxed like a mustang or focus or a F150 even the superduty line up does not get taxed like the half ton trucks do.
this was stock vs stock comparisons nothing was modded.
my XLT F250 comes stock with a locking 373 gearing and a 6spd automatic transmission, I have the ability to tow 13k and 16800 fifth wheel towing, my car trailer is use to haul my crown vic around to drag strips my boat is very heavy trailers are nothing for a vehicle to tow when empty its the weight on the axles is what makes it difficult for a vehicle to tow.
my brothers F150 has the same gearing and it has the locking rear differential as well different transmission though the boat when towed by his truck which he wont do anymore likes to rev higher and has poor acceleration fuel economy on his 5.0 drops well below 10MPGs.
fuel economy differs at RPM to RPM.
at cruising speeds both trucks get similar MPGs because neither vehicle is under load while accelerating when acceraleting that's when fuel economy is changed drastically and with the 5.0 being rev happy it just wants to rev higher because it has to that's why the fuel economy is worse in his truck. his truck under load feels like it has no balls to get out of its own way.
my F250 has not a single problem accelerating with a load unlike his truck. my truck and his isn't that much of a difference my body weighs about the same as his same tires/wheels suspension is not much off and the frames aren't much either my engine and trans does weigh more though but weights aren't off much.

700 pounds not 7k lmao also high end niche vehicles don't get taxed much because the federal government knows they cant make much revenue off of lets say a GT500 or a raptor or a vette. because these are not fleet vehicles nor are they sold in such high numbers "yearly" like an F!50 or a focus.. there's no money for taxing something at 6k units sold but there's more money to tax on vehicle lines that sell 30k

Last edited:

dragonknight

just to back up my argument on this I came from the ford dealer I was getting my truck serviced as I was waiting I was talking to the sales manger about this and he said each state is different, here in Delaware we don't get taxed on new vehicle's. how ever the government does have a few taxes with certain vehicles and niche line-ups are not one of those that are taxed or regulated heavily except safety features of course. there is a thing called the luxury tax/GG tax certain vehicles get them with different auto brands he stated that ford has regulations just like GM and other's to design more fuel efficient vehicles ford is well ahead of this and will meet standards in the coming years.
F150's excluding the raptor get's a tax but more so regulated so do the other cars except for the niche mustang's because they are such a low volume line there is no money for the warranting of such taxes the g,ment also makes ford put stickers on their vehicles about fuel economy but not the super duty's and commercial vehicles.
there is by far less regulations on GT500's raptors and corvettes than there are on a ford fusion or an F150 how ever certain F150's are exempt from a few regulation's and the 6.2l F150 was that vehicle. not the XLT though but in the lariat and above because there are less lariats sold than XLT's
he also commented on the new "raptor" not my words bud, but he said ford made no attempts on designing a new raptor and is instead putting efforts on two new mustangs. asked him about the bronco and he said I cant say a word.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
700 pounds is a ton of weight. Don't know why you think it's not. 99.99% of people at dealerships don't know a dam thing about unannounced Ford vehicles. The other .01% might know something simply because they know someone who works at ford.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you over this. I don't see the 6.2L staying in the raptor. 11/16 mpg simply won't cut it. Ford doesn't R&D engines just for the hell of it. There is a reason behind it, and it's probably to see if they can hold up to the abuse of desert racing. I'm only voting for the 5.0 over the ecoboost because forced induction on a desert racer sounds to me like it would be a durability issue, especially on high rpm turbos.

Again, I never said the 5.0 had my vote, just that I think it is the most likely candidate.

dragonknight

I know what youre trying to say but the current raptor already hass a hefty weight on it the raptor already gets 11/16MPG not bad for something heavy and with big tires and a 410 gear that's also apart of the fuel economy too is the rolling mass on the truck adding the high revving 5.0 will not mileage any better at such a heavy weight and wide tall tires with a 410 gear the 5.0 will be over matched with its torque curve its no way around that no matter what you do to the 5.0 the rpm band is moved up its the nature of the motor. even with 700 pounds token off the raptor it still would be a lot of weight to get moving and the taller tires and 410 gear make it even worse for a small engine sorry bud but even the extra camshafts wont help there.
you're right about durability issues with turbo engines for off road use ford knows that and so do other people that's why there few turbo off road vehicles built.
the guys running roush chargers on their raptors are the guys who barely get their tires dirty let alone actually off road thee thing. I don't see the 5.0 being a candidate because I know the problems that would arise from using such a small N/A displacement motor. and I honestly don't see the raptor making a come back. there's also the thing with raptor buyers they are not exactly looking for a high MPG rated raptor either so that's not going to happen. and I really want to know who actually expects to get 18MPGs from a raptor? its a niche line ford knew what they were going into with this truck they weren't expecting high gas mileage either.

Users who are viewing this thread