What will happen when the world runs out of oil?

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Experts are claiming we have 40-50yrs left at the current rate of consumption. That is not very far away, we have become extremely oil dependent. What do you think will happen if we run out? It could get ugly.

jcthorne

Established Member
Not this again. True oil supplies will taper off. Other enegy sources are ramping up. Overall there is no enegy shortage nor will there be.

Since the begining of time there have been chicken little's proclaiming the sky is falling.

Digital

Established Member
As the price of oil goes up so will the ability to extract it using prior means deemed too expensive. We don't have a shortage of oil we just don't want to get it or can't yet.
As JC said when you have a energy source go up in price it allows other methods to be developed because they are now economically viable solutions.

Not to mention you got all these morons plunking down a extra 10k on a car to make it hybrid even though they won't recoup that investment in gas savings for like 15 years.
In the mean time the battery has died twice at a cost of 6k each time or some nonsense. Moral to the story their will always be a sucker to buy new tech to save the planet.
Thus there will always be plenty of energy to go around.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Those "experts" rely on nothing more then pseudoscience that is based on cherry-picked data that is weighted to yield results that intertwine with their narrative.

KurtDog

Established Member
Not to mention they have already figured out a way to produce oil with algae. I'm sure they will find other ways of producing oil that at some point will be cost effective.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I wonder how much oil there really is in the world that we either don't know about, can't yet get to, or governments won't allow access to. I have to assume it's a pretty astounding amount. Do these "experts" take those 3 things into account when releasing these "studies"?

jbs$

Established Member
Government's refusal to allow access to oil resources will last only as long as there are other sources of oil available. At the point, in the far future, when the, now prohitibited oil, is required, all issues now standing in the way, will disappear. You may bank on this being a fact.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hell, the navy thinks they are close to making fuel with just water now.

01GTB

Established Member
Perfect marketing. You never want to push your customer far enough to go another route. But you want to make it clear that what they want is going to continue to get more expensive. If the industry told the world we were running out, the world would find other options. If they told you their was plenty to last centuries and centuries, prices would fall.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Mad_Max_Beyond_Thunderdome_1985-image-497780-1024x687.jpg

Kenneth

Established Member
Actually, I just finished doing an Inland rig move this morning.
Drilling rigs are moving like crazy down here in south Louisiana. There not drilling for nothing.

oldmodman

Established Member
All I am absolutely sure of is this.

There will be all the gasoline I will ever want available for as long as I will be alive. And it is still cheap and plentiful.

So.......What? Me Worry?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It won't run out. They're finding out that wells that went dry decades ago have replenished.

Well create synthetic formulations soon enough. If there's a need there's a way.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Maybe the Middle East will 'run out' in the next 40-50 years, and possibly Russia a few decades behind it...once this happens, the US owns everyone, and we get to start butt ****ing everybody on oil prices.

Users who are viewing this thread