What weight oil for a 2003 Mach 1

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
I am going to change the oil for the first time in my 2003 Mach 1. I purchased an OEM oil filter and was going to use Royal Purple.

What weight oil should I purchase?

Also some people have said 5 quarts while I thought it was 6. Didn't 2002 + models require 6 quarts of oil.

Thanks

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I use a Motorcraft FL-820S filter and close to 7 quarts of Royal Purple 5W20 basic (as in non-racing) oil. I have been really curious about the negative material I have read about Royal Purple, but I just do not know what to believe. I have been meaning to switch to Amsoil because I have yet to read anything negative about their oil. At the end of the day though, frequent oil changes is still more important than brand names.

I also use one of these on my filter: FilterMAG!

:beer:

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Oh yeah. Congratulations on your Mach1. If it is still near stock, I bet it is a lot slower than your SRT-4, haha. For some increased performance, I recommend 4.30's, Kooks long tubes, and a good tune.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I am going to change the oil for the first time in my 2003 Mach 1. I purchased an OEM oil filter and was going to use Royal Purple.

What weight oil should I purchase?

Also some people have said 5 quarts while I thought it was 6. Didn't 2002 + models require 6 quarts of oil.

Thanks

MOVED:wf::wf::wf::nonono:

Shackleford

Established Member
Who said 5 quarts? Are they mentally handicap?

There is some controversy as to how much you should run, but that is if you should run more than what is called for by Ford (6 quarts). I put in 6.5, 5w20.

Also remember to let the car sit before checking the oil if the engine has been running. And you should know the dipsticks are known to not be accurate, don't add oil just based on what the dipstick says being full. It takes 7 quarts to reach the full mark in my car.

KEVINC66

Established Member
I use 5w20 CastrolSyntech,there was this oil test I saw on another thread and CastrolSyntech outperformed RoyalPurple.It showed the wear on a lifter once the oil ran dry.I forget what was the best, I think Lucas oil was.Too expensive for me.Walmart has Castrol.so I went with that and a Motorcraft 820-s filter.My engine takes between 6.5-7 qts of oil.Just my opinion.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
This is what I have read and been told:
5w20 N/A
5w30 boosted

I used to put in 6qt's when I had my stock pan, which would bring it to the middle of the add/fill lines. Now that I have my Canton pan, that is a whole new controversy!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I use a Motorcraft FL-820S filter and close to 7 quarts of Royal Purple 5W20 basic (as in non-racing) oil. I have been really curious about the negative material I have read about Royal Purple, but I just do not know what to believe. I have been meaning to switch to Amsoil because I have yet to read anything negative about their oil. At the end of the day though, frequent oil changes is still more important than brand names.

I also use one of these on my filter: FilterMAG!

AMSOIL rocks!!!...I also have heard some neg hype about RP but have seen many comparo's saying RP is the best you can get for the $.

BM1

Established Member
I keep it very simple and run Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft oil filter. I've had no problems and my car is Vortech blown making 500+ HP.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Whoever told you 5 qts needs to be shot. Twice!!

wurd2 and speedofsound your cars look freaking awesome :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread