what water pump are you using?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
im going back to a mechanical pump i believe. i have a meizer but ive had a few people tell me to get a mechanical one.

what pump are you guys running and why?

thanks

car is a single 76mm turbo with a built motor.

badblacklx

Established Member
What are the benefits of switching back? More flow at higher rpm?
A lot of people electric because of the ugly stock pulley

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i was just told that i should use a mechanical pump....

maybe i was told wrong.

i know its a pita to change on a turbo car

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I've got a Meizer electric water pump and switched to an Evan's high flow mechanical water pump with a stock pulley. Around town during normal street driving the car ran a solid 10* hotter with the Evan's pump! At idle and while driving. I took it right back off and put my Meizer back on!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Get a Stewart, they are awesome. I ran one. Message cobra engineering guy on mod fords and he can get you one cheap.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I think the Evan's pump and the Stuart pump are nearly identical?

I did a direct comparison, electric Meizer to the mechanical Evan's and back to the Meizer all on the same exact day and my car ran a solid 10* cooler with the Meizer, no BS. I put the mechanical pump on the car hoping to drop my temps some more, not raise them up. I even used a stock pulley. I thought for sure my car would run cooler with the mechanical pump but that definitely wasn't the case. I sold the Evan's pump and took a loss on it, kept my Meizer! If it ever goes out I'll be replacing it with another Meizer. This ones been on the car for 5 years now! Still looks new, and works perfect. Been daily driven for almost two years now. It's been a great piece I'd highly recommend it. I'd also encourage anyone with a mechanical pump that has slightly high temps to try the swap and see if it helps. If it's anything like my car you could drop your temp by 10*.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Another nice thing about the electric pump is you can run it along with the electric fan to cool the car down in the staging lanes or between rounds.

CrazyBoost

Established Member
I use the Stewart pump with a 170 thermostat and I have no issues at all. With the fans set per the thermostat instructions I won't go over 195 in the summer. On the highway the temp needle will actually go below normal.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I think the Evan's pump and the Stuart pump are nearly identical?

I did a direct comparison, electric Meizer to the mechanical Evan's and back to the Meizer all on the same exact day and my car ran a solid 10* cooler with the Meizer, no BS. I put the mechanical pump on the car hoping to drop my temps some more, not raise them up. I even used a stock pulley. I thought for sure my car would run cooler with the mechanical pump but that definitely wasn't the case. I sold the Evan's pump and took a loss on it, kept my Meizer! If it ever goes out I'll be replacing it with another Meizer. This ones been on the car for 5 years now! Still looks new, and works perfect. Been daily driven for almost two years now. It's been a great piece I'd highly recommend it. I'd also encourage anyone with a mechanical pump that has slightly high temps to try the swap and see if it helps. If it's anything like my car you could drop your temp by 10*.

This is good info. Did you test it on the dyno or notice a seat-of-the-pants difference in power between the two? The cooling effects alone are great, but for what these cost nowadays I'd need some power in return. Lol.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
well hell yall got me torn...

I already have a good working meizer pump but ive been told to ditch it. but after reading the comments im thinking of just keeping it.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
This is good info. Did you test it on the dyno or notice a seat-of-the-pants difference in power between the two? The cooling effects alone are great, but for what these cost nowadays I'd need some power in return. Lol.

I didn't dyno it before and after but I also didn't notice any power difference what so ever. Felt the same except for the increased temp.

Users who are viewing this thread