What was your favorite decade and why?

coposrv

Established Member
I personally am ok with it. As long as i can afford a house, new(ish) car and go on a vacation once a year then im happy.
I plan on working til at least 65. I don't care for major luxuries.

No worries, I guess we just disagree and see things from a different perspective. A major luxury for me is a newish car and a nice house.

Freedom to use my time as I please, make money how I please and go where I want when I want is a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Just look around in the climate we’re in. It’s incredible. Information has never been so available before. The opportunities available to everyone have never been so abundant.

I really believe in the not so distant future the 40 hour work week, large chain stores, the typical middle class and middle class dream will be gone, and I think that’s a great thing.

We had the industrial revolution, the age of information were in now and I believe very soon in the future it will be the era of intelligence.

What a time to be alive.
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The 40hr work week disappeared decades ago, at least for above average earners.

You think the loss of the middle class dream of having a family, owning a home, having a steady career, and providing for your family is a great thing?

Why would anyone aspire to be average? I mean it in the sense of people being ok spending their entire life in a job maybe saving for a yearly vacation and hopefully retire before they’re 75. I notice people are awakening and they’re not as easily accepting an average life, making average money then a few years of retirement before dying and leaving nothing of significance behind them. I won’t accept a middle class life, would you?

No worries, I guess we just disagree and see things from a different perspective. A major luxury for me is a newish car and a nice house.

Freedom to use my time as I please, make money how I please and go where I want when I want is a necessity.

What do you define as middle class? What do you do that allows you to make money as you please and be in the top 17% income bracket?

BTW, I'm not mad or offended in any way. I'm just curious about where you are coming from. Median income does not equal middle class. There is a spread of about 67% of median to 200% of median, give or take. Numbers may vary a bit, but roughly 45% of U.S. households are considered middle class, 38% are below, and 17% are above. Median income is a little over $61K.

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm in it. A lot to love about the 90's and 2000's and the simplicity of life (mid 80's baby), but nothing beats the 2010's (technically started May 2009).

Graduate
Move 400 miles
First professional job
First house
Marriage
Motorcycle
GT500
Debt free minus mortgage
Move back 400 miles
First kid
Build dream home

A lot has happened in under 10 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If only I could go back to the 18 year old me and tell myself it will all be worth the hard work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The 60's

Hot Wheels, my 2-speed kick-back sky blue Stingray, endless days at the park pool, Bumpers, cotton candy from Pop's Wagon, '66 Charger, '69 Charger, Let's Make A Deal, Batman, Fantastic Baggys, 5 NFL Chamionships, 350 Honda Scrambler, Dilly Bars, the time when the bitchinest cars where (and ever will be) built, the coolest movies, and the best ****in' rock-n-roll in the history of mankind.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Three and a half minutes in 1980, other than that it has all been pretty much the same.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The 60's

Hot Wheels, my 2-speed kick-back sky blue Stingray, endless days at the park pool, Bumpers, cotton candy from Pop's Wagon, '66 Charger, '69 Charger, Let's Make A Deal, Batman, Fantastic Baggys, 5 NFL Chamionships, 350 Honda Scrambler, Dilly Bars, the time when the bitchinest cars where (and ever will be) built, the coolest movies, and the best ****in' rock-n-roll in the history of mankind.

Ran across a pic of that Scrambler. Black socks and Bumpers on our '69 CL350 in June of '70.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.44.36 PM.png

My dad had just sold our Sears Allstate 124 that looked like this...

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.50.58 PM.png

...and my mom was pissed. She talked him into letting me take the Honda out for the afternoon west of town on the country roads - by myself. I was more than a couple years short of having a license. I may not remember much else, but I do recall that afternoon ride quite vividly.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Ran across a pic of that Scrambler. Black socks and Bumpers on our '69 CL350 in June of '70.

View attachment 1575232

My dad had just sold our Sears Allstate 124 that looked like this...

View attachment 1575233

...and my mom was pissed. She talked him into letting me take the Honda out for the afternoon west of town on the country roads - by myself. I was more than a couple years short of having a license. I may not remember much else, but I do recall that afternoon ride quite vividly.
You haven't changed a bit!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Late '50s and early '60s. Life was SO different from what we see today. Sometimes simple is just better. Car wise, my fave is the '60s. Muscle back then was just so cool. The muscle car culture was huge back then. Even if you didn't own one, you admired them all and were drawn in like a bug to a bright light. LOL. 421 Pontiacs, 427 Vettes, 396 Chevelles, hi-po 289 Mustangs, 389 GTOs, etc. Every division had their own variation of a platform. And the public ate them all up. The car culture was different back then. SO many muscle car choices back them from Chevy (including COPOs), Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Dodge, Plymouth, AMC, Ford, Mercury, Shelby Cobra. And if factory wasn't enough, there were tuner shops/dealerships ready to up the ante. Baldwin-Motion, Fred Gibb Chevrolet, Tasca Ford, Dana Chevrolet, Berger Chevrolet, Nickey Chevrolet, Dick Harrell Performance Center, Mr. Norm Grand Spaulding Dodge, Yenko Chevrolet, Royal Bobcat Pontiac, and Hurst Olds. But, we didn't have the factory horsepower numbers we find today in the likes of the new GT-500, Hellcat, Chevy Camaro ZL-1, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread