What valve springs should i use?

toomnymods

Established Member
Well I started shifting around 7600 recently when I added the boss manifold, and figured I'd better look into upgrading my springs and retainer clips/locks.
I don't really want to use the cheapest method if thier are safer better quality springs out there. I know some use the boss valve springs with great results but I only like to buy parts one time, and really wouldn't want to have to swap them out later when I build the motor and shoot for 1100-1200 rwhp with my twin setup.
I noticed from searching that livernois has a set for 300.00 and MMR sells the chromoly and titanium springs which are probably over kill for what I have now being N/A but would probably fit the bill nicely for after the motor was built. Would thier be any bad effects from using the chromeoly or titanium springs now just being N/A on stock cams and revving to 7600-7800?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Be careful, too much spring pressure will adversely affect the VCT operation.

scotmach

Established Member
There are plenty of us shifting at that rpm with stock valve springs. In fact I can't remember anyone replacing their valve springs just for the Boss Intake. Not sure what you're worried about.

toomnymods

Established Member
I plan to turbo my car within 2-3 months. My tuner already said he will not tune my car if it has more than 5lbs on stock springs. Said the valves will float

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you don't plan on making a ton of power just throw some boss valve springs on. Or you can go with the trickflows.

toomnymods

Established Member
If you don't plan on making a ton of power just throw some boss valve springs on. Or you can go with the trickflows.

Where are all the specs of these valvesprings? My mechanic is wanting to compare all the data for me and 90% of the valve springs ive found just states the obvious.. Higher rpm capability, no retainers needed, works as a drop in.. He wants to see the stats..

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Where are all the specs of these valvesprings? My mechanic is wanting to compare all the data for me and 90% of the valve springs ive found just states the obvious.. Higher rpm capability, no retainers needed, works as a drop in.. He wants to see the stats..

Just curious, who is your tuner?

redline5.0

Established Member
Running mmr race springs and chromoly retainers here for 6-7k miles now. You will be fine with these springs and won't close control of the cams because of too much spring pressure. If you having a shop install the springs they can tell you what the seated pressure is. I think Shaun said anything over 515-520lbs you start losing control of the cams but that was clear back in may so I could be wrong.

toomnymods

Established Member

Whats the part number for the trickflows? They make hundreds of springs. How do i know the correct ones to use?

Just curious, who is your tuner?

Manny at Hpp performance in lewisville tx

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
Also if there going to be in there spend the extra money on the boss chain tensioners atleast and even the billet crank sproket. I had my motor built put back together and one of the factory gt tensioners wouldn't pump up properly and had do tear back into the motor and replace tensioners.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-boss-timing-tensioners-1114gt.html

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
These are the springs we run
http://www.jpcracing.com/5-0l-coyote-4v-drop-in-spring-upgrade/

They're a trickflow spring that we use in all of our cars. They're in the red boss, our 7 second 2011 and all of the other big power cars. But while we use them in all of the big builds they suite just about any setup.

As far as the boss springs go I wouldnt waste my time with them. We've seen them float before when you get up there in power. If your going to take the time to put springs in put the best ones you can in.

toomnymods

Established Member

Thanks aaron will the stock retainers be good for any power level? My mechanic said to find some titanium retainers if we are changing springs..
Sorry for all the dumb questions im just the middle man trying to find out what to buy, lol

Users who are viewing this thread