what valve spring compressor does everyone use?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
putting in the livernois springs next week and have seen various tools for the job:
MMR tool-69.99
OTC: 129.99
Trick flow: 29.99
etc.
what is everyone using-this will not be a tool that I use a lot so I don't want to spend a fortune-already learned that lesson with my fender roller(still sitting in garage). do any of the auto parts stores rent the one we need for our 4v heads?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You're leaving the heads on the car? If so you need both the OTC and the Trickflow compressor. One does the intake and the other does the exhaust. The Trickflow compressor isn't bad, but the OTC compressor for the intake side sucks (Personal experience talking. I own and have used both).

If you've got the heads off I'd encourage you to get ahold of one like this.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-OTC4572-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000F5ECUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286224841&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: OTC Tools (OTC4572) Large Valve Spring Compressor: Home Improvement[/ame]

that's actually the exact one I've got and it while it required putting a lever on the handle it was an absolute breeze to use.

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
You're leaving the heads on the car? If so you need both the OTC and the Trickflow compressor. One does the intake and the other does the exhaust. The Trickflow compressor isn't bad, but the OTC compressor for the intake side sucks (Personal experience talking. I own and have used both).

If you've got the heads off I'd encourage you to get ahold of one like this.

Amazon.com: OTC Tools (OTC4572) Large Valve Spring Compressor: Home Improvement

that's actually the exact one I've got and it while it required putting a lever on the handle it was an absolute breeze to use.

what he said :rockon:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Btw, don't buy the compressor from MMR. It's the same exact one as the Trickflow tool. It's just more expensive.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Be aware that a compressor that you might find for like a SBC or a pushrod Ford won't work. The heads are deep enough that you won't be able to get the pad onto the retainer and still apply any form of clamping pressure.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Be aware that a compressor that you might find for like a SBC or a pushrod Ford won't work. The heads are deep enough that you won't be able to get the pad onto the retainer and still apply any form of clamping pressure.

dually noted- I will get the one you suggested.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I have the OTC tool available for sale.

Let me know if you are interested in picking it up. I'll sell it for a LOT less than the listed price.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
X2 on the OTC tool being tough. Had a bitch of a time getting the keepers back on. Springs would get off center and then the valve would push down. Helped to have air on the cylinder.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
On a MOD motor, I use the proper tool that uses the cams to release the retainers.
On a SOHC, you may be able to use the larger c-clamp tool -- on a DOHC, you may get the valves out, but will have major issues trying to re-install them. My tools (Ford OEM) were less than $125 for both sets. Use google or similar search engine and look for good deals.

Tim

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002STSMQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009RM9HQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02HHV3CJ5R1058KEYY5V"]2V compressor (4V has an additional one turned 90*)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6498-4-6L-4-Valve-Timing/dp/B000O16LJY/ref=pd_sim_auto5"]4V Cam timing tool but you can purchase a similar one for the 2V[/ame]

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
On a MOD motor, I use the proper tool that uses the cams to release the retainers.
On a SOHC, you may be able to use the larger c-clamp tool -- on a DOHC, you may get the valves out, but will have major issues trying to re-install them. My tools (Ford OEM) were less than $125 for both sets. Use google or similar search engine and look for good deals.

Tim

2V compressor (4V has an additional one turned 90*)

4V Cam timing tool but you can purchase a similar one for the 2V

I needed none of these to install my springs or degree in my cams.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
That one works well, much better than the OTC tool.

I'd agree but I've not used this one .. I like the "cheater-bar" approach compared to the ratchet-drive approach for sure!

encasedmetal said:
I needed none of these to install my springs or degree in my cams.

I have 1 set of Cobra heads and 3 sets of Navi heads and 2 5.4 blocks - and these tools sure make is easier for me .. he did ask what we all used and I gave my reply. When setting up the timing chains, you can complete it without the tools -- I did myself using various toolbox tools to hold everything in place to get the initial setup and chain tensions proper. But the more and more I started rebuilding, these most definately allowed faster installs :)

Tim

harvboi05

Established Member
i wish i woulda seen this thread 2 weeks ago. i just did both heads with this tool, it sucked at first but got better after i figured it out. only suffered a few injuries with it.

vw_golf_1996_ohc_valve_spring_compressor_oem_un_120_2820_un1202820.jpg

harvboi05

Established Member
bumping this back up, which compressor is the best to use with the engine still in the vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread