What type of seam sealer was used in trunk trough?

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
I'm trying to seal my trunk leak, I found that the thick seam sealer that covers the trunk hinges and runs up the trough towards the rear glass was pulling away causing a seam leak under the glass.

I was able to cut away the sealer until I only saw clean metal, cleaned it up and tried to use paintable seam sealer. But the stuff that is there is so thick you need so much seam sealer that it's very difficult to work with. It just wants to run down the vertical area, where the actual seam is.

I tried self leveling sealer before but again, it's too thin. I would really like to know what Ford used because I think that would be easiest to deal with.

Jwilso53

Established Member
I stripped all of that soft crap and used panel bond. Wont shrink and crack in the future

To get an actual seal around the hinges you need to make a gasket for the nuts/washers on the inside of trunk.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I used 3M urethane seam sealer. I mounted the hinges to the body and used the seam sealer all around the hinges. I think the seam sealer that goes up from the hinges to under the window might be different than the self leveling kind around the hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread