What turbo does everyone run?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
so bottom line is YOU have never used a Comp Turbo and therefore have absolutely ZERO experience with them but ur gonna tell everyone how ineffective they are.

that makes about as much sense as ur McDonalds comment does.
What are you even talking about? I've seen FOUR separate combos use comp after they promised massive power. ALL four of them made less power than the turbo they replaced including an outdated turbonetics 76. That is experience and explains my mcdonalds comment.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Bullseye NLX 76mm here.....made 1150 on 25psi.....trapped 179 on 27psi

7a5af0c5-aaf2-43e0-841a-7213f856aee1_zpsvddngxlo.jpg

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Bullseye NLX 76mm here.....made 1150 on 25psi.....trapped 179 on 27psi

7a5af0c5-aaf2-43e0-841a-7213f856aee1_zpsvddngxlo.jpg

What are the full specs on your turbo? Turbine size and a/r? That is a very impressive Trap speed on a 76mm. I see you run a 5.4 also, I assume serious compression?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
What are the full specs on your turbo? Turbine size and a/r? That is a very impressive Trap speed on a 76mm. I see you run a 5.4 also, I assume serious compression?

96mm exhaust with v band housing. 1.30 AR. CR is 11:1. The 5.4 prob does it easier with less boost. My setup seems to be very efficient except for boost control which I will be fixed next year

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
OP it seems three of us in this thread that used the same 76mm turbo have hit around the same 1/4 times of 9.7X. I am planing to use the same turbo in the spring with my built engine, ported heads, custom speced cams and race fuel. My high 9s was with a factory engine and 93 pump running about 18psi. The shop that I use is excited since most people over turbo their cars and no one local has pushed the 76mm to its limit. We know the turbo wanted to run at 25psi when the car was first built and had many aborted runs until be got the boost under control. I hope to hit my goal because the 76mm is a freaking monster on the street and I dont want to run into lag with a bigger one.

305Cobra

Established Member
20161206_184646_zpsnz3y9pur.jpg

Everyone has different opinions to me This is the one 76/85 not 75 dual ball bearing and king of the streets not tracks 4 bangers and 2js are doing 1400 whp with it my buddie did 1308 @ 30 psi 9:3 comp the magic of this turbo is the 85 in the back no lag and big power it aint cheap it will cost you a pretty buck you can get 3borg warners for the price of this one but hey you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I must just be super "lucky" with my comps. They spool very quick, I made 720whp on 9psi with a very soft tune, and they have worked flawlessly.

I probably have 750-775whp on 9psi if I went for it. Right now I'm only spinning to 6750rpm on 91 octane, with 11.0 AF and 12* of timing. My heads and cams want 7500+rpm, and my turbos want 20-30psi to be honest. I am running twin 62/65 t4's though, so it's not a single setup. Pump gas mountain car though, so that's worth noting as well.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What other info do you have on them at 76/85 305cobra? I'm wondering ar and wheel type mainly. I'm running 9.3/1 compression as well.

305Cobra

Established Member
I must just be super "lucky" with my comps. They spool very quick, I made 720whp on 9psi with a very soft tune, and they have worked flawlessly.

I probably have 750-775whp on 9psi if I went for it. Right now I'm only spinning to 6750rpm on 91 octane, with 11.0 AF and 12* of timing. My heads and cams want 7500+rpm, and my turbos want 20-30psi to be honest. I am running twin 62/65 t4's though, so it's not a single setup. Pump gas mountain car though, so that's worth noting as well.

Nothing wrong with comps or borg warner or garret they are all made in our home the u.s.a this is just a personal preference kinda like chevy vs ford vs mopar and i prefer precision turbos because in racing not talking reliability they are the big daddy worldwide dont be fooled by anyone else all the fast guys run Precision turbo and are proven to make the difference #s speak for them selves . Borg warners are tractor trailers turbos and people rum them in cars they dont brake of course they are more reliable than a precision.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Thanks for the link. Looks like a solid unit. The air cool and pricing are a bit tough to stomach but otherwise it seems like a great way to build a 76 combo of you can get engine bay temps low enough and route nice cool air to the center section well enough.

I'd be weary to run one on a terminator without doing a grill mount or exposed design of some sort. That or just see if they can build a clone dimensionally but that was oil/water cooled.

lilsilverponey

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I made the mistake of buying a used turbo (turbonetics GTK1000 76mm, .96AR, ball bearing) and realized after the fact that the turbo was bad. I'm very new to the turbo world and didn't know what I was looking at at the time. I sent the turbo off to Boost lab and they quoted me $1,100 in repairs to make the turbo like new again.

Like previously stated, I don't know much about turbos at all but to me, this seems like basically the cost of a new turbo. What are your opinions on how to proceed with the current situation I have so stupidly placed myself in? I'm running a stock long block. Not really shooting for the moon on HP but would like to see around 700rwhp. Should I just have this turbo repaired or buy a new turbo? if buy new, what turbo would you all recommend. I have read through this thread and looked up some of the turbos people mentioned and they all seem to be around $1,100 or higher.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

305Cobra

Established Member
1484576005852_zpslprmlv2s.gif
D
Thanks for the link. Looks like a solid unit. The air cool and pricing are a bit tough to stomach but otherwise it seems like a great way to build a 76 combo of you can get engine bay temps low enough and route nice cool air to the center section well enough.

I'd be weary to run one on a terminator without doing a grill mount or exposed design of some sort. That or just see if they can build a clone dimensionally but that was oil/water cooled.

I will let you know my self once i tune sorry for hijacking thread attached is a collage of my setup

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Hey everyone,

I made the mistake of buying a used turbo (turbonetics GTK1000 76mm, .96AR, ball bearing) and realized after the fact that the turbo was bad. I'm very new to the turbo world and didn't know what I was looking at at the time. I sent the turbo off to Boost lab and they quoted me $1,100 in repairs to make the turbo like new again.

Like previously stated, I don't know much about turbos at all but to me, this seems like basically the cost of a new turbo. What are your opinions on how to proceed with the current situation I have so stupidly placed myself in? I'm running a stock long block. Not really shooting for the moon on HP but would like to see around 700rwhp. Should I just have this turbo repaired or buy a new turbo? if buy new, what turbo would you all recommend. I have read through this thread and looked up some of the turbos people mentioned and they all seem to be around $1,100 or higher.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

The problem is that it was a ball bearing unit. When the CHRA fails on a ball bearing unit it ends up costing about the same price as the turbo to replace.

My opinion would be to ditch it, it's an old turbo and you could get better performance out of the newer options on the market for the same price.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
20161206_184646_zpsnz3y9pur.jpg

Everyone has different opinions to me This is the one 76/85 not 75 dual ball bearing and king of the streets not tracks 4 bangers and 2js are doing 1400 whp with it my buddie did 1308 @ 30 psi 9:3 comp the magic of this turbo is the 85 in the back no lag and big power it aint cheap it will cost you a pretty buck you can get 3borg warners for the price of this one but hey you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

Badass turbo but that price is insane

Users who are viewing this thread